QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Koumpounophobia
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Koumpounophobia » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  KoumpounophobiaPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Am I the only one who knows what koumpounophobia is? If you know what it is, then you have a pretty good clue as to what this thread will be about.

If you're clueless, watch this video to find out what it is.

..........Watched it? Good! Now ve vill commence ze telling of vat zeez thread eez avout! Mwahahaha!

No, this thread is not about the fear of b-b-b-buttons. It is related to it though.
The purpose of this thread is to talk about.... Yup! COORRALLLIIINNNEEEEE! Coraline!
It's an anime, techincally. It's stop motion animation, and anime means animation, so I put it in this category... Aaand I get the feeling that this thread'll be moved.... I reeally get the feeling. Oh noes!

On to the topic of the thread....
Have you read the book or graphic novel?

Have you seen the movie?
If you've seen it, how was it?
Did you like it?
Were you scared? Even slightly?
Were you creeped out?

In your opinion...
What was the funniest part?
Scariest part?
Part that made you cringe?
Was the voice acting good?
Animation good?
Aaannddd...
What was the audience reaction in your theater?

Aaannnddd thats it! You dont have to answer all of those questions, those are just there to encourage conversation and posting! You can come up with your own questions and answers, too. Mwahaha.

Bottom line: If you have any thoughts, opinions, etc about the book, graphic novel, or movie, post 'em here!

Oh, one last note. Dont go through little doors or accept little dolls that look like you from strangers.

03.04.2009, 09:34 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I saw the trailer a few months back. Actually looks like it's worth watching.

Not out here yet though, but I'll check it out.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.05.2009, 09:53 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
animekittynya
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Yeah, I saw the trailer a few months back. Actually looks like it's worth watching.

Not out here yet though, but I'll check it out.

Yup! It's definitely worth watching, IMO! It's really beautiful to watch, especially considering that everything you see on the screen is hand-made. Teeny-tiny clothes, puppets, furniture, sets, trees... Everything! It's amazing!

Ah, yeah....
If you like movies with...
*A brave female herione (although she's a bit of a brat)
*Creepy stuff (lotsa nightmare fuel for some children... and maybe some adults, as well Dont bring really little kids if they are prone to nightmares)
*Alternate worlds (where everything revolves around you! And everything's better! Who hasnt wanted that at one time or another?)
*Alternate worlds (that are too-good-to-be-true. Face it, if it seems too good to be true... it probably is.)
*Scenes where you actually get to watch animated people eat stuff (what? Am I the only one who likes watching animated people eat? In most animated disney movies, NOBODY EATS! How do they live?)
*Cats (that talk. But only in the other world)
*Suprising scenes (that will make you wonder if this really is a kids movie...I am talking about Spink and Forcibles show, y'all.)
*Stop-motion animation (quite smooth animation overall, with just enough jerkiness so that you know 'Yes! this is stop-motion! not computer animation!)
*Non-Disneyness (that is to say, not the creepiness was not toned down and it was not all sugary-sweetness. Yaay! And no weird musical numbers! Unless you count the other father song. That was random.)

...If you like movies with all this stuff, you'll probably like Coraline.

And I'll think of some more things later, probably...

B-B-B-Buttons?
That smile is creeping me out.

Post last edited by animekittynya on 03.26.2009, 12:36 PM.

03.06.2009, 07:36 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I did see Coraline and I enjoyed it... In the little theater that I was in, there were only about 8 others there at the time. A weekday matinee... I wasn't able to get much of an audience reaction...

But I liked it!

03.06.2009, 08:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
animekittynya
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I did see Coraline and I enjoyed it... In the little theater that I was in, there were only about 8 others there at the time. A weekday matinee... I wasn't able to get much of an audience reaction...

But I liked it!

Yaay! ^^
The movie eez amazing, is it not?

For some reason, now I'm like, obsessed with stop-motion animation. ^^;; Probably becasue it's something that I can actually do, unlike traditional animation where I try and try and just end up reeally frusturated with my lack of drawing abilities.
When I was younger, I knew that I wanted to be an animator of some kind. I wanted to make things MOVE! And I still do. I sit and watch people, animals, trees, whatever. I'm a patient person...usually. But i'm not sure how to get into the animation... Like, how to learn how to do it. Gah. Sorry, I'm babbling. Should be talking about Coraline... Hmm....

Heres a picture of Wybie and Coraline.

03.26.2009, 12:47 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've watched Coraline and it was, IMO, very good. I want to read the book now. BTW have you noticed how pointy Wybie's ears look in that picture. It makes him look like an elf. Anyway, I want to see Coraline again in 3D because my theater dosen't do 3D....

Check out my music:

04.05.2009, 09:58 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
animekittynya
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Tea Master Tall
I've watched Coraline and it was, IMO, very good. I want to read the book now. BTW have you noticed how pointy Wybie's ears look in that picture. It makes him look like an elf. Anyway, I want to see Coraline again in 3D because my theater dosen't do 3D....

Post last edited by animekittynya on 04.19.2009, 06:38 PM.

04.06.2009, 09:37 AM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
animekittynya
Ohmu

quote:

Yaay!!! The movie is very good, isnt it?!
The book is amazingness, I read it in 6th grade when it first came out and it's been a favorite ever since! (I was 12 then, and I had nightmares...The book illustrations are sooooooo creepy.) So you could say that I've been looking forward to the movie for quite a few years. (4) I was quite happy when I first found out it was going to be a stop motion film!
Be warned, though: Wybie and Mr. B arent in the book. So dont look for them there.
Wybie eez an elf! HE IS!
Meh me too! But none of the theaters in my area are playing coraline anymore! D: It is sad... And the theaters in my area are still playing that paul blart mall cop movie. WHYYYYYY????!!!!! It's so stupid! Coraline is sooo much better, IMO. (though I suppose some might disagree, lol.)

Post last edited by animekittynya on 04.06.2009, 09:44 AM.

04.06.2009, 09:41 AM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When I heard about this before, I thought it looked weird and didn't dwell on it any further than that. However, today I saw a trailer on TV, saw that in motion it looks really good, and heard something about a connection with The Nightmare Before Christmas. Since then I've discovered that it was based on a graphic novel by Neil Gaiman (I know, I'm slow ), and now I'm really interested!

04.19.2009, 05:38 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
animekittynya
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
When I heard about this before, I thought it looked weird and didn't dwell on it any further than that. However, today I saw a trailer on TV, saw that in motion it looks really good, and heard something about a connection with The Nightmare Before Christmas. Since then I've discovered that it was based on a graphic novel by Neil Gaiman (I know, I'm slow ), and now I'm really interested!

............. ..........
'Course it's weird!!!! THAT IS WHY I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
'Cause I'm insane,
THE MOVIE IS AMAZINGLY AMAZING AND BEAUTIFULLY BREATHTAKING!!!! GO SEE IT NOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!
-deep breath- Okay, I'm calmer now... Calm, kitty, calm...
Book. Coraline was a book first. Published in 2001. Written by Neil Gaiman. Graphic novel was published in early 2008. It's very good. The book has also been adapted into a puppet show thing, an off-broadway musical, etc. etc. etc.
Gaiman sent the book to Henry Selick (the REAL director of the Nightmare Before Christmas) before the book was even published, and Selick became the director of the movie.
Be interested!
Go read the book, first. Then see the movie. I'm serious. Read. The. Book. First. 'Casue it's really really good. And scary.

Post last edited by animekittynya on 04.19.2009, 06:44 PM.

04.19.2009, 06:38 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Originally posted by Arren18: When I heard about this before, I thought it looked weird and didn't dwell on it any further than that.

......... .........

Many movies are wierd...but that dosen't mean they're bad. DEEZ "WEIRD" MOOVYZ R LIEK AEWSOME!!!!!!!!!

Check out my music:

Post last edited by Tea Master Tall on 04.19.2009, 07:33 PM.

04.19.2009, 07:28 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
animekittynya
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Arren18: When I heard about this before, I thought it looked weird and didn't dwell on it any further than that.

......... .........

Many movies are wierd...but that dosen't mean they're bad. DEEZ "WEIRD" MOOVYZ R LIEK AEWSOME!!!!!!!!!

EXACTLY!!!!
Lotsa movies are weird. If I wanted to, I could say that many of Miyazaki's movies are weird. (But I won't for fear of having something large and heavy thrown at my head... Oops, too late!
-BAM!-
..............I'm okay! Just a minor concussion! Very... minor...ooh, look at the pretty fireflies... -passes out-)
Well, many of Miyazakis movies are weird. But that's part of what makes them so awesomely cool and different! Or something like that...

Back to Coraline! A behind-the-scenes pic... Note the rigging and the seam on Coraline's face.

Another pic... (I looovveeee tiny puppets! DANCE PUPPETS, DANCE!)

Yeah, I'm like, super-geek right now... I'm really sorry! ^^;
-MY FRIENDS AVOID ME BECASUE THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HALF THE TIME!!-

04.19.2009, 09:15 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know weird can be good! I love weird! But sometimes when I see something weird, I don't think of it as good weird. But now I see it is good weird!

04.20.2009, 04:37 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
animekittynya
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I know weird can be good! I love weird! But sometimes when I see something weird, I don't think of it as good weird. But now I see it is good weird!

'Tis a very good weird!

DVD COMES OUT AT THE END OF JUNE!!!!!! Allegedly. But I'm not believing it until it comes from a source other than wikipedia.

04.25.2009, 01:18 AM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

I bought the book from Barnes & Noble the other day. 'Tis good so far.

CORALINES STORY.

THERE WAS A GIRL HER NAME WAS APPLE. SHE USED TO DANCE ALOT. SHE DANCED AND DANCED UNTIL HER FEET TURND INTO SOSSAJES THE END.

...lolz!

You say Mr. B isn't in the book. But he is he just isn't named!

Check out my music:

04.26.2009, 04:52 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
animekittynya
Ohmu

quote:
I bought the book from Barnes & Noble the other day. 'Tis good so far.

CORALINES STORY.

THERE WAS A GIRL HER NAME WAS APPLE. SHE USED TO DANCE ALOT. SHE DANCED AND DANCED UNTIL HER FEET TURND INTO SOSSAJES THE END.

...lolz!

You say Mr. B isn't in the book. But he is he just isn't named!

THE BOOK IS THE MOST AMAZING BOOK IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!

I looveeee Coralines story! It always made me wonder how old shes supposed to be.

Nooooo, I meant that Mr. B wasnt called Mr. B. or Mr. Bobinsky in the book. He's Mr. Bobo!
And in the book, he's not a circus performer, he's an old man.

Another funny part: When Coraline's mother asked her where she was. "I was kidnapped by aliens. They came down from outer space with ray guns, but I fooled them by wearing a wig and laughing in a foreign accent, and I escaped." -Coraline
"That's nice, dear." -her mother

The parallel (?) in the movie: "I almost fell down a well yesterday, Mom." -Coraline
"Un-huh" -Mel
"I would've died." -Coraline
"That's nice." -Mel

Post last edited by animekittynya on 04.26.2009, 07:05 PM.

04.26.2009, 06:56 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by animekittynya
Nooooo, I meant that Mr. B wasnt called Mr. B. or Mr. Bobinsky in the book. He's Mr. Bobo!

Mr. Bobo? Really? In the book it keeps calling him the crazy old man upstairs.

Check out my music:

04.27.2009, 07:54 AM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
animekittynya
Ohmu

quote:
quote:

Mr. Bobo? Really? In the book it keeps calling him the crazy old man upstairs.

Aaaugh! You havent gotten to that part yet!!! -.-;;
Sorry........ Coraline finds out his name at the end of the book.

04.27.2009, 09:13 AM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
animekittynya
Ohmu

Woo! DVD COMES OUT JUNE 16TH!!!!! -Marks calendar next to Ponyo and Up release dates.- <- geek

And I found this amazing thing with the DVD bous features! I loooveeee bonus features and behind the scenes stuff like that!!!! Can't wait for the DVD!!

DVD Bonus Features:

* Audio Commentary (participants not yet confirmed)

* Deleted Scenes (8:25)
-- Henry Selick Intro (0:41)
-- Henry Selick Intro: "Dad Making Dinner" (0:26)
-- "Dad Making Dinner" (0:28 )
-- Henry Selick Intro: "Coraline and the Buggy Roses" (0:25)
-- "Coraline and the Buggy Roses" (1:14)
-- Henry Selick Intro: "Pizza Aftermath" (0:25)
-- "Pizza Aftermath" (0:22)
-- Henry Selick Intro: "Ghost Kid Angels" (0:25)
-- "Ghost Kid Angels" (1:17)
-- Henry Selick Intro: "Ribbon Mice" (1:04)
-- "Ribbon Mice" (0:22)
-- Henry Selick Intro: Montage from the Cutting Room Floor (0:21)
-- Montage from the Cutting Room Floor (0:48 )

* "The Making of Coraline" (35:38 )
-- The Evolution of the Story (2:40)
-- Inspiring Design: Character Design and Art Direction (3:53)
-- Directing the Voice Session (3:11)
-- Making Puppets (4:26)
-- Coraline's Closet (4:26)
-- Setting the Stage: How Does Your Fantastic Garden Grow? (4:08 )
-- It's Alive (3:16)
-- I've Seen Fire and I've Seen Fog (3:57)
-- The Eyes Have It (3:16)
-- Wrapping Up Coraline (2:00)

* "Voicing the Characters" (10:44)

* Webisodes (18:03)
-- "Meet the Cast" (1:18 )
-- "Numbers and Facts" (1:22)
-- "Althea Crome" (1:58 )
-- "What's Puppet Thinking?" (1:29)
-- "Bo Moustache" (0:58 )
-- "Brad Sciff" (0:50)
-- "Brian McClean and Martin Meunier" (1:05)
-- "Jeanne McIvor" (1:51)
-- "Oliver Jones" (1:31)
-- "Trey Thomas" (1:19)
-- "Suzanne Moulton" (2:13)
-- "A Few Words from Neil" (2:02)

* "Creepy Coraline" (5:02)

Especially looking forward to the deleted scenes and 'the making of' behind the scenes stuff. I could watch that kind of stuff for hours...
Which is making me wonder if the US release of the Ponyo dvd will have any good behind the scenes bonus features... 'cause the Japanese DVD is loaded with them, I've heard. Sorry, off topic!

Post last edited by animekittynya on 04.29.2009, 11:27 PM.

04.29.2009, 11:26 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

quote:
Aaaugh! You havent gotten to that part yet!!! -.-;;
Sorry........ Coraline finds out his name at the end of the book.

I finished the book. It didn't spoil much.
IMVHO I think the book was better than the movie. But the movie is awesome too.

Check out my music:

05.01.2009, 07:01 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks