QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - anyone see Steamboy yet?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » anyone see Steamboy yet? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
hawkeyepierce
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.15.05
  anyone see Steamboy yet?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hawkeyepierce Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

just wondering how good it is?

03.28.2005, 02:15 AM hawkeyepierce is offline   Profile for hawkeyepierce Add hawkeyepierce to your buddy list Homepage of hawkeyepierce
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i enjoyed it.
if you likes "Rojin-Z", you can enjoy steamboy. maybe.

however, it is a Japanese version that I saw.
i dont know whether an American version is the same as a Japanese it. i wishes that it be a good dub.

when a Japanese version is seen, it has the impression that this movie is "steamgirl" rather than "steamboy".

03.28.2005, 10:18 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
feureau
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by feureau Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen steamboy japanese version. I'm not sure where the steamgirl reference comes in, but the sub on the movie that I saw wasn't very good.

But the movie is great. It's an action adventure where you don't really know who is evil and who's not. (but war is like that isn't it)

******here be spoilers******

The story revolves around this boy whose father and grandfather are the greatest inventor of the time. They invented a steamball that seems to contain the power of a nuclear reactor. it is to be used to power up a city that is similar to one of ghibli's films. *cough*howl*cough*ripoff*cough* his father invented this city with the backing of a large corporation, while another corporation tries to steal the steamball, the core of the city.

The movie in overall is a fun enjoyable movie, though the science part seems to be forced into it, thus making steam seems to be so powerful, and another kind of steam seems to freeze things instead of being very hot, as steams do in real life.

******end of spoilers******

The technology used in the movie rivals ghibli's own, 2D graphics working in a sort of 3D universe. Though it is not as philosophical as innocence, steamboy has its own depth of moral dillemas on military war and corporate war. And the steamboy got stuck in between.

04.29.2005, 12:33 PM feureau is offline   Profile for feureau Add feureau to your buddy list Send an Email to feureau Homepage of feureau Add feureau to your contact list AIM Screenname: Feureau YIM Screenname: feureau@yahoo.com
randorp
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by randorp Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

were can i get a copy in TX/USA that is japanees/w subtitles

07.11.2005, 02:43 PM randorp is offline   Profile for randorp Add randorp to your buddy list Send an Email to randorp Homepage of randorp AIM Screenname: FireFox1012
Totoro's Neighbor
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.28.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totoro's Neighbor Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In the US, it should be found at any fine DVD retailer such as Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc. I believe it has been officialy released here on dvd.

You might also be able to find it at a local video store.
I'm not sure if they have subtitles on the disc.

Post last edited by Totoro's Neighbor on 07.28.2005, 12:23 AM.

07.28.2005, 12:18 AM Totoro's Neighbor is offline   Profile for Totoro's Neighbor Add Totoro's Neighbor to your buddy list
project2501
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.16.05
  hi forum membersPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by project2501 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i saw steamboy in the german version.
I saw that the movie was made by the makers of Akira but i think that Steamboy can't reach Akira.
Yes the movie is good but not like Akira.
Thats my opinion.

bye bye

09.12.2005, 01:53 PM project2501 is offline   Profile for project2501 Add project2501 to your buddy list Send an Email to project2501 Add project2501 to your contact list
Goddess Nayru
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.18.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Goddess Nayru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That movie was awesome!! I have it on dvd so I can watch it in japanese...I just haven't had time to...

Evil Enough For You?

09.18.2005, 09:48 PM Goddess Nayru is offline   Profile for Goddess Nayru Add Goddess Nayru to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really enjoyed it...the CG is amazing, and although SteamBoy bears a striking resemblance to Tetsuo (not surprisingly some may say!), it's totally worth seeing. Also, Miss Scarlet looks scarily like one of the ugly step-sisters in Disney's Cinderella!!
Ultimately, it's definately worth seeing, it's just a shame it's taken Otomo so long to make a new movie.

05.14.2006, 11:43 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like Steamboy. The sounds of every explosion left and right was phenomenal. The characters were lovable and even the "villains" striked some integrity. 5 stars.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

05.15.2006, 06:49 PM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm, I saw it sometime ago...at first with the english dub, but upon finding it unbearable I swiftly switched back to Japanese audio with english subs.

The effects and animation are classy and you can tell its big-budget straight away. Characters are also well designed and styled -particularly Scarlett I think.

Yet, after watching it, I felt empty -almost relieved that it was over. Amongst all the explosions and screams -was a plot that at its core, failed to captivate me.

Then again I didn't enjoy Akira much either, which is hailed by many as the greatest anime masterpiece of all time. Hehe...give me Ghibli any day.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

05.15.2006, 08:04 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Akira was arlight. I didn't find it too attractive if you know what I mean. The appeal just wasn't there. I don't see how it's a cult favourite now....

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

Post last edited by shiawase on 05.16.2006, 02:55 AM.

05.16.2006, 02:54 AM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't like it, but the detail and CGI was awesome.

05.16.2006, 07:24 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Andy Dainty
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.12.06
CHeck the available languages on the DVDPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Andy Dainty Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just be careful when getting a copy as in the UK there are two versions released. One is special edition and comes with lots of extra goodies whilst the other is a vanila DVD, unfortunatley I could justify the SE so bought the bare bones version only to find that there wasn't even the option to watch it in Japanesse! I don't think this is the case for the SE though. It did frustrate me though however as it's set in England, it kind of made sense to hear it in English, I would still have preferred the origional audio however.

On the film itself, from the synopsis I read I thought that Steamboy was going to be more of a superhero, after being given this marvellous invention (This is enhanced by the posters for the film.); instead he is a boy caught between two opposing groups. Despite the disapointment in the absense of superheroics, I still enjoyed the film and the victorian setting gave a lot of ideas and designs to work into the film which I really enjoyed.

05.16.2006, 08:06 AM Andy Dainty is offline   Profile for Andy Dainty Add Andy Dainty to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I also thought that Manchester was very realistically rendered, and that's coming from a Brit!!...I s'pose it's kinda odd watching it in Japanese, but somehow it worked. I LOVED Akira, and still think it has some of the greatest scenes in anime history (though it looks like I'm in the minority here!!) I've got the NTSC version of Steamboy, the cover's hideous though!! Steamboy is a hero...without him the whole world would have been taken over by nasty Mr.Stephenson (who, btw, didn't really invent trains as they were used in ancient Rome, just not as transport, and the Greeks had railways in 200 AD...he just re-re-discovered them! Just a lil history lesson 4 u all)!

05.19.2006, 12:58 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
squall_leonhart
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by squall_leonhart Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

interesting on the whole railroad thing but yeah the steamboy was very well done and yes i loved the movie it was astounding.

although i hear a few nay sayers on Akira, that was a damn good movie a total cult classic you really have to pay attention to the whole storyline to really understand it in the end. Akira is one of my favourites because it really pushed the boundaries of the mind when you watch it.

05.19.2006, 07:37 PM squall_leonhart is offline   Profile for squall_leonhart Add squall_leonhart to your buddy list
Gorgy
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.13.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Gorgy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

just 2 things:

-Great art-Cg combination

-poor story, it's like an excuse to draw steam-powered engines and complex mechanics.

by mpw3d

05.20.2006, 11:32 AM Gorgy is offline   Profile for Gorgy Add Gorgy to your buddy list
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gorgy
just 2 things:

-Great art-Cg combination

-poor story, it's like an excuse to draw steam-powered engines and complex mechanics.

I think thats a good summary.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

05.20.2006, 08:18 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
blaka002
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.21.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by blaka002 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i think steam boys graphics were amazing with the turning camera angles etc the story was quite far out but i think it worked (ive seen it in engish/american) the ending was just an excuse to show alot of stuff falling like akira with the slow motion glass but still one of the greatest films ever and akira is easily a cult classic using violence and mind tricks in a weird way to create the legend of akira

05.21.2006, 07:08 AM blaka002 is offline   Profile for blaka002 Add blaka002 to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yah steam boy certainly looked really good, but as has been said the storey left a little to be desired. what im interested in is spiretedsens history of the train - greeece and rome???? perhaps it was a joke but im really really gulible.
please clarify.
embaresed to post this in case it was a joke, but what the satans domian.

05.21.2006, 09:09 AM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
SpiritedSen
Totoro

quote:
what im interested in is spiretedsens history of the train - greeece and rome???? perhaps it was a joke but im really really gulible.
please clarify.
embaresed to post this in case it was a joke, but what the satans domian.

No dude, it's totally true! The romans has a contraption call allopia (def. spelt wrong!) which was a engine that used steam to turn gears, cogs, etc, but it was just an interesting fun thing to them (like lightning balls, lava lamps are to us...ultimately pointless, but cool 2 look at!). The Greeks did have railway tracks in 200AD, but the vehicles that were pulled along them ran on man-power (well...slave power!!), with men pulling them along, rather than using steam!! Hope u all enjoyed the history lesson!!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 05.21.2006, 09:32 AM.

05.21.2006, 09:32 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks