QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - finished watchi
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General finished watchi Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
ia176
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.18.09
  finished watchiPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ia176 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished watching Grave of the Fireflies also wolfs Rain now I am fan of Japanese anime. People if you can help me tell me or recommend any similar genre. I have an impotent exam coming at end of September, after which I want to enrol to learn Japanese too.

07.18.2009, 06:36 PM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

welcome, ia176...

My suggestion is to just read some of the posts in the different threads and see what has already been posted in this same theme... Check some of them out and if you still have any questions, please ask then...

Husky

07.19.2009, 12:35 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not sure there's a similar thread that focuses on depressing tragic anime Besides, anime of this genre are very few and far between.

The most recent tragic anime I know of would be Bokurano. I also highly recommend JinRoh, which I feel is the greatest anime of all time. Another title of similar genre would be Ergo Proxy.

Otherwise, those of somewhat similar genre includes Scrapped Princess, Last Exile, Chrno Crusade, and Tsukihime. Under horror/psychological would be 100 Stories and Paranoia Agent.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.19.2009, 08:34 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
ia176
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ia176 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
welcome, ia176...

My suggestion is to just read some of the posts in the different threads and see what has already been posted in this same theme... Check some of them out and if you still have any questions, please ask then...

Husky

Thank you, I am so glad I got two wonderful replies to my post, I am new to this posting phenomenon in the same time very very inquisitive and also happy to know a new world remarkable art.

By the way have you watched Graves of the fireflies, it ends very tragically but can help thinking that it should have a part two, as how does or what happens to the brother after death of his sister, how does he end up so bad..?

07.19.2009, 08:49 AM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
ia176
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ia176 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
I'm not sure there's a similar thread that focuses on depressing tragic anime Besides, anime of this genre are very few and far between.

The most recent tragic anime I know of would be Bokurano. I also highly recommend JinRoh, which I feel is the greatest anime of all time. Another title of similar genre would be Ergo Proxy.

Otherwise, those of somewhat similar genre includes Scrapped Princess, Last Exile, Chrno Crusade, and Tsukihime. Under horror/psychological would be 100 Stories and Paranoia Agent.

Thank you, I am so glad I got two wonderful replies to my post, I am new to this posting phenomenon in the same time very very inquisitive and also happy to know a new world remarkable art.

By the way have you watched Graves of the fireflies, it ends very tragically but can help thinking that it should have a part two, as how does or what happens to the brother after death of his sister, how does he end up so bad..?

07.19.2009, 08:51 AM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ia176...

first of all, I'm not a mod, but...

double posting is generally frowned upon. You said that you are new to posting, so I recommend that you read the rules... not trying to be offensive, just giving you some guidance, ok....

second, try not to give away parts of the film (spoilers) for the people who haven't seen the film. Those of us who have will generally understand what you mean by indirectly refering to a scene...

I liked 'Grave...' but thru self analysis, I have determined part of the reason why the film was so hard for me, emotionally. the ages in the film are comparable to my sister and I and I had to greatly care for her in her early years. that being said, it is why I will probably not watch the film again, if ever, for a very, very long time...

as for the ending, watch it again as you apparently have missed something....

Enjoy your membership... to be better known, go to the 'general' section and introduce yourself to the Tavern in general... we welcome new members...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.19.2009, 09:14 AM.

07.19.2009, 09:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If you like Wolf's Reign, you might like Witch Hunter Robin. You might also try Haibane Renmei, an excellent anime, or Kino's Journey.

There are so many very great stories in anime, and of many different genres.

And Grave of the Fireflies is just one of the movies by studio Ghibli, all of which are worth watching. They are a very good place to start your anime watching.

This is a good place to find reviews and ratings of a lot of anime. http://www.mania.com/reviews_by_title.php

07.19.2009, 09:34 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
ia176
Kodama

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, i will do that. sorry if i offended any one.

07.21.2009, 05:05 PM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Again, you offended no one. My comment was just an observation...

Enjoy the Tavern.

tea and cake in the back room

07.22.2009, 12:06 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Uff, Grave of the Fireflies...a beautiful movie but such a sad one! I still feel the sadness and emotions in me by reading about GOTF I only think it's a bit of a shame you misunderstood the ending of the movie, apparently..

Welcome on board by the way!

07.22.2009, 02:57 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
ia176
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by Kemi
Uff, Grave of the Fireflies...a beautiful movie but such a sad one! I still feel the sadness and emotions in me by reading about GOTF I only think it's a bit of a shame you misunderstood the ending of the movie, apparently..

Welcome on board by the way!

I think you are right, I even made a copy of the CD on my HD and every time I start it I just get this overwhelming desire to embrace the pillow and start crying, sounds lame? But truly I don’t even have the guts to go beyond the firs 5 chapters for my second viewing.

I did get the movie but, think its missing a huge chunk about the aftermath of the brother. Other wise its absolute classic. I know I been told not to give away information about the movie but cant resist it. Sorry husky51

thank you for welcomeing me/

07.29.2009, 04:58 PM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
ia176
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Again, you offended no one. My comment was just an observation...

Enjoy the Tavern.

tea and cake in the back room

Hello Husky51,

Its nice knowing you. In you first post to my post you said that you are not mod, did not get that what is “mod”. Also where in this site can I converse about movies or serials I finished watching with out giving out on their content or giving out the story. If you know of any web site where I can watch Anime for free I found to web sites and they are good but some serials are missing.
The ones I know are http://www.animefuel.com/ and http://www.animecrazy.net/ also do you know if Ai Yori Aoshi ends so abruptly ie no clue if the two get married or not.

Thanks or should I thank you Senpai.

07.29.2009, 05:08 PM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
ia176
Kodama

I would say my Anime addiction started with Wolf's Reign, I sow it or should I say sow a video of it on youtube and was immediately drawn to it like fish to water. But felt very perplexed by its ending, cant get it ie the ending. I assumed they failed in the mission right.

07.29.2009, 05:20 PM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
ia176
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by oldwrench
If you like Wolf's Reign, you might like Witch Hunter Robin. You might also try Haibane Renmei, an excellent anime, or Kino's Journey.

There are so many very great stories in anime, and of many different genres.

And Grave of the Fireflies is just one of the movies by studio Ghibli, all of which are worth watching. They are a very good place to start your anime watching.

This is a good place to find reviews and ratings of a lot of anime. http://www.mania.com/reviews_by_title.php

Hi,

Looked at the web site you recommended and what you know its quite good, Thanks.

07.29.2009, 05:40 PM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
ia176
Kodama

Hi every one.
Just finished copying Princess Mononoke to my HD, it’s a shame cant watch it right now as I have exams end of September, but since I have copy I can send back the CD and watch it when I am free in between. How is it? Is it any Good.

07.29.2009, 05:45 PM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
ia176
Kodama

Finished watching Haibone Renmei, the creative concept is absolutely fabulous. Plot, layout and execution also good. What gets me so far with watching Anime is they don’t end with an agreeable or may I be more it personally in a convincing end. They end in such a way that it leaves you wanting more closure so that it’s possible to have a nice sleep rather then making up an ending more agreeable.

just testing my edit option.

Post last edited by ia176 on 08.02.2009, 03:43 PM.

08.01.2009, 04:24 PM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi,

Would just like to say that I would really appreciate it if you stop double posting. Or in this case, sextuplet posting.

There's the edit button if you need to add on to you post.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.02.2009, 05:19 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
ia176
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Hi,

Would just like to say that I would really appreciate it if you stop double posting. Or in this case, sextuplet posting.

There's the edit button if you need to add on to you post.

Oh, Sorry.
I thought Double posting was like posting same thing twice, and not different thoughts at during different times. what should i do if i want to add other comments that may popup, put a new post or just edit my old post?

08.02.2009, 03:42 PM ia176 is offline   Profile for ia176 Add ia176 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

The problem is that you double-posted within a VERY short time frame after your first post. The first five of your string are all within ONE HOUR, from the first post. If you had anything to add, even if it was targeted to someone else, just edit it into your first post. Otherwise, it's just going to look like spam.

I may allow double posting if the time between posts is, say, a few days. But otherwise, please utilise the edit button.

Thanks.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.03.2009, 09:47 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well ia176, there are some anime that come to a nice conclusion, many of the Ghibli works do., but many of the series are taken from series of manga that continue the story beyond the anime. Often there are some hopes of another season of the anime, so they leave some things open. A lot of movies are like that, they hope to continue with a sequel.
Want an anime with a very nice conclusion, try Tokyo Godfathers. No, it isn't about the mafia..... or yakuza, it's about three homeless people who find a baby in the trash on Christmas Eve. It's a very humorous and very touching story.

Haibane Renmei is an interesting anime in that it was never intended to come to a conclusion, and is supposed to leave you with questions to be thought over and reach your own conclusions. It's interesting that ABe didn't have a story thought out when he started the anime, he just had a character and a starting point, he made up each chapter as he went along.

Questions like: Who are the Haibane? They aren't angels. Why are they in the enclosed city, what is their sin? Some have suggested the city is something like purgatory, and the Haibane are people who committed suicide...... but then, what of the small children? Who are the people who inhabit the city with the Haibane, and why can't they leave the city? What is beyond the walls? There are people who spend lots of time discussing these and other questions.

Post last edited by oldwrench on 08.04.2009, 05:37 PM.

08.04.2009, 05:26 PM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks