QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Disney/Ghibli Wave 3 DVD Speculation
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Disney/Ghibli Wave 3 DVD Speculation Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.29.05
Disney/Ghibli Wave 3 DVD SpeculationPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by KingTotoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello, I'm new to this forum. As with everyone here, I'm a huge Ghibli fan, and I have been reading threads here for a few months.

Anyway, the R1 Ghibli DVDs are lacking here in the U.S, so I bought a Ghibli Box-Set to see Omohide Poro Poro, Pom Poko, and Whisper of the Heart. I was just thinking about the next wave of Ghibli DVDs and which films they were going to release. Here is what I think:

Wave 3:

Whisper of the Heart (Dubbed, featuring Brittany Snow from "The Pacifier" as Shizuku)
My Neighbor Totoro (Confirmed, I believe)
Pom Poko (Rated by the MPAA, so that means it will be here in some form)

"Only Yesterday" is too mature for the Disney crowd, but Pom Poko is a bad choice for release in the states considering the fact that Disney cannot change the content. (They would change Tanuki to "Racoon" and change various other things) I don't know why they haven't released "Yamanda's" here yet. Post your opinion.

03.29.2005, 10:23 PM KingTotoro is offline   Profile for KingTotoro Add KingTotoro to your buddy list
biker_brat
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.05.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by biker_brat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If you go to the IMDB page for Yamadas then it says in the writing credits section that Leo Chu and Eric Garcia have been selected for the english adaption. This and the fact that it has been rated by the MPAA lead me to believe that it will be in the next wave of DVDs. I think that Pom Poko will also be one of the movies released since it has been though on many websites to be part of the Wave 3 releases and has been rated PG as well. The third movie that will be part of the deal, I think, will be Howl's Moving Castle. Most people say that their opinion is that it will be released in 2006 but Disney usually releases their movies in 4 months (especially if the box office gross is low) on DVD. Also Pom Poko and Yamadas will probably be two releases that will be pretty hard to market in USA. I actually don't care what movies will be in the next wave of Ghibli DVDs as long as they all get released.

04.29.2005, 12:07 PM biker_brat is offline   Profile for biker_brat Add biker_brat to your buddy list
biker_brat
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.05.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by biker_brat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YAY Disney has set the date for two more Ghibli movies! As to why there isn't another movie that has been chosen for the wave of DVDs... I was reading some of the forums on www.ultimatedisney.com and it says on there that Disney will market their previous Ghibli releases in the summertime. I think that Disney may chose to market them around the time they release Yamadas and Pompoko since they would be the hardest movies to sell in USA. Giving the previous Ghibli movies a push at the same time they release the other two may help boost sales more so than having them just be included with one easy-to-market movie (as much as possible anyways). Also, being a couple of months after Howl's Moving Castle's theatrical release (yes I've changed my mind I don't think that Howl's Moving DVD release will be untill later), Ghibli's mainstream knowledge may pick up.

05.10.2005, 07:03 PM biker_brat is offline   Profile for biker_brat Add biker_brat to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

UltimateDisney reported that Pom Poko and Yamada will be included in the next wave of R1 release, so I think their releases are pretty much confirmed. As for the remaining ones in this wave, I agree that at least one Miyazaki title will be included, for the "brand effect" neccessary for boosting the sales of Poko and Yamada. But I don't think Howl will be included. After all even the release of the R2 Japanese version of Howl has yet to be announced. Practically the only Miyazaki title that remains is Totoro . Whisper also has a chance too, for the giant shadow of Miyazaki in the movie .

P.S. to KingTotoro: welcome to the forums and hope that you'll enjoy your stay.

05.11.2005, 02:20 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks