QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Porco Rosso's Curse
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Porco Rosso's Curse Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.16.03
Porco Rosso's CursePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kodama Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just wanted to see what everyone's ideas behind Porco's curse. I asked some of the people that live around me about it and everyone seemed to have a different opinion about it since the characters never specifically talked about in the film. My two questions to all of you are~

1. According to the film, why do you think Porco Rosso is cursed to look like a pig?
2. What do you think the cure to the curse is/was?
3. (Jiji brought up a good point that I failed to mention earlier) Do you even think that Porco was cured at the end of the film?

4. (Side Question) How do you feel the movie ended, did Porco and Gina end up together or no?

Post last edited by Kodama on 04.07.2005, 11:57 AM.

04.07.2005, 11:35 AM Kodama is offline   Profile for Kodama Add Kodama to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. Why do you think Porco Rosso is cursed to look like a pig?
According to Nausicaa.net, he cursed himself due to disillusion of humanity. If you are asking for why the character is designed as a pig, but not a tanuki or whatever, it is simply because Miyazaki has some strange affection towards pigs.

2. What do you think the cure to the curse was?
If he ever got cured, the cure is Fio and Gina's Love that helps him to regain faith in humanity.

3. Do you even think that Porco was cured at the end of the film?
I would say so as shown by the shocked Curtis. But frankly I prefer him to stay as a pig. Yea I am mean.

4. How do you feel the movie ended, did Porco and Gina end up together or no?
I feel the ending is too rushed. When the fight has ended I thought Porco is going to start another adventure, or maybe even challenge the Facist. But then the credit just rolls. <_<

I don't think they will "end up together" physcially. But I suppose Gina won her bet. They may get married, but no one can hold Porco's spirit of freedom in the sky so they are likely to be seperated. Unless Gina travels with Porco on his plane, just like what Fio did.

04.07.2005, 11:45 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He was cured, otherwise Curtis wouldn't have made that comment in the end of the movie.

Everything else, I pretty much agree with Jiji, otherwise I'm too tired.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.09.2005, 05:49 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

when surviving only by him, he cursed the absurdity of life.
and, he sealed him as human off.
there is the distress of life here, not the love of male and female.

a pure mind of Fio was necessary. it was insufficient only in the mind of Gina.
when the rival in love dies, it is not possible to win permanently...

his appearance is returned to human, the mental is pig yet.
however, i think that he was able to become gentle to him, a little.
(it is the same as for Gina and Fio.)

"after this what happened?" such an end is a Miyazaki style..
the time that they spend together has increased than before.
but, he goes out alone during several months in year.

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
I feel the ending is too rushed. When the fight has ended I thought Porco is going to start another adventure, or maybe even challenge the Facist.
no signorina, <sorry, i forgot that Jiji had wonderful bride.
i was able to imagine a story, because the adventure was not on the film.
there is a story of love of the adult not the action. hehe.

Post last edited by nanashi on 04.09.2005, 02:19 PM.

04.09.2005, 10:18 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
starhawk
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.20.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I definetely was not too happy with how the story turned out....not because it was poorly developed, but because what we were given wasn't enough. It felt like only a part of a much richer story. It isn't a bad story in the film, just an unsatisfying one.

I personally think in this case we can assume a happy ending- Porco (Marco) gets with Gina, his curse is broken, etc.

(this might ruin it for some, so beware reading further...)
In the final sequence of the film, when Fio is flying overhead the Hotel Adriana in her jet, you can see a red plane docked in the water.

Post last edited by starhawk on 04.09.2005, 12:46 PM.

04.09.2005, 12:33 PM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
hopscotch
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopscotch Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is said Porco is Miyazaki himself.

04.12.2005, 04:46 AM hopscotch is offline   Profile for hopscotch Add hopscotch to your buddy list
NorseMonte
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.10.20
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by NorseMonte Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Through out the film he mentions how he has lost his faith in humanity and that people are terrible in his eyes.
I'm guessing somehow because of this Russo was cursed.

I remember a specific moment when he tells Fio how she gives him faith in humanity and that not all people are worthless and terrible.
This could be the cure. Plus a few moments before that Fio had seen
him in his Human form

I'm not even sure, Curtis could just have been asking to look at his
face because he was severely beaten up or He could have really turned human. Plus that night when Fio saw him in Human form he looked quite slim and he didn't have that huge belly and during that last scene
you could see that he was still quite big and pig looking

I honestly wanted to see more but I was still very content with the film. As for Gina and Porco I'm guessing they did end up together but that's just a feeling ,I have nothing to prove it.

Thank you Miyazaki for this film!

02.10.2020, 08:01 AM NorseMonte is offline   Profile for NorseMonte Add NorseMonte to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks