QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli's Movie Poster
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Ghibli's Movie Poster Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Neko Danshaku =^^=
You guys are very helpful.. (snif-snif... sobbing of happy tears) Thank you again ^^

You're welcome.

quote:
I being deadlined to finish my paper by next week, so if there's anything that need to be revised... I still have time...

Sorry that I made some silly mistakes.

I have a question though: is the last question aims at collecting my own very personal feelings and impression towards the poster art? I somehow feel that I was not answering what you meant to ask... (^_^;; )

quote:
"Interview with Drs. Aznar Zacky, one of the poster expert in Indonesia" in www.geocities.jp/nekojimusho "Advertising section" I happen to interviewed him several days ago.... this is because my teacher also ask me to ask him... but he doesn't know Ghibli, but he quite understand classical Japanese posters..

Quite a nice interview. It has broadened my perspective on design and art, and on some aspects of the Japanese culture.

I wonder if posters have a greater significance in Indonesia? It is rare to see someone who is an expert solely on the field of posters.

And btw there are just some slight mistakes :

http://www.geocities.jp/yanagi_kyoichi/poster.htm
"What whould you think of" => would

http://www.geocities.jp/nekojimusho/interview.pdf (P.2)
"At this time, the informations are not yet completed" => information is

05.08.2005, 02:48 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry that I made some silly mistakes.
No problem.. Thank you for your concern...

I have a question though: is the last question aims at collecting my own very personal feelings and impression towards the poster art? I somehow feel that I was not answering what you meant to ask... (^_^;; ) (Jiji)
Actually what I want is a personally thought of Ghibli Poster that already been shared with other people.... so it's also the result of thinking of many people....
I don't think people can't have thought about Ghibli if he doesn't share it with a friend or colleagues... but btw... if you have any other friend... maybe UO the webmaster... can you persuade them to write to me or in this thread...? Sorry for troubling... this will become sources of consideration before I jump to conclusion...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quite a nice interview. It has broadened my perspective on design and art, and on some aspects of the Japanese culture.
I wonder if posters have a greater significance in Indonesia? It is rare to see someone who is an expert solely on the field of posters. (Jiji)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ummm... he is not actually that kind of world master poster expert... but he's known in design & art world as the one with marvelous illustration and have done research about it including Japanese arts. And he also a poster analyzer... but I think normal people like who love to know about poster might also called expert. Anyway movie poster in Indonesia is also become decorative, influenced by many Asia films such as Taiwan, Japan, Korean... but still have Western style. Indonesian far too much in adopting Western style so that they almost for their own culture... I am Indonesian although I'm Chinese (but I can't talk nor understand Chinese)... so I still have Chinese culture run for years in my family since I was child.... but Native Indonesian especially the teenagers love to adopt Western style such as bringing car to school... eat burgers or KFC (strange since KFC should be a lower-class fast-food restaurant.... but Indonesian sees it different...)
I think slow or quick... Indonesia will lose their roots if nobody do something....
Indonesian school system was more like Japanese... but now they are going to change it full western style...
Maybe because it's fashionable...
To tell the truth... Indonesia have a problem now...
Why... because the fast imported style from foreign... and slow domestic concept. Anime in Japan and in Indonesia only differ 1 month! since many fansubs are compiled into VCDs. Japanese Movies, Korean Movies, HK, China, Taiwan, Europe, or US movies are distributed very fast since there's many illegal movie importer... and Indonesian love those movie rather than Indonesian one.. so Indonesian movie producer thinked to survive in movie industry, so they must create something that audience like.... and yes.. they are foreign movies... which don't looks like Indonesian at all...

Oops... I'm out of topic... sorry... but if you want to have some information about Indonesia, this might be an input...

There's many of my friend that want to go to Japan just because they love Gundam or something, and wanted to be illustrator in Sunrise or any other studio... yet they don't know the reality in Japan at all.... I already know the reality, but that makes me want to go to Japan more

Poster don't have a significant job. Movie poster very-very rarely put on billboard or city walls because of the cost and that the citizen looks like againts those kind of advertisement. We can only know movie poster in a rental and seldomly updated. It often becomes a bonus in a magazine. Pamflet is not popular as an advertising media for a movie. So the way we know poster is just from the one put on the theater... the Home-Video cover (usually the same with the poster), magazine, or video rentals. TV Ads is secondary. It's not common too to have advertising poster on trains, busses, taxis, or airplane. The most effective promotion media is magazine and Buzz Marketing (mouth-to-mouth advertising)... and the illegal importer.

So people knows movies not from poster or tv ads first, but from Magazine (domestic and foreign magazine) and buzz marketing! Posters... I think it would only be a bonus to the magazine readers...

And btw there are just some slight mistakes (Jiji)
Thanks.. but I think people can still understand such a slight mistake... I will revised it later...

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.09.2005, 06:10 AM.

05.09.2005, 01:57 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
"Interview with Drs. Aznar Zacky, one of the poster expert in Indonesia" in www.geocities.jp/nekojimusho "Advertising section" I happen to interviewed him several days ago.... this is because my teacher also ask me to ask him... but he doesn't know Ghibli, but he quite understand classical Japanese posters..

it was an interesting interview for me.

the topic out of Ghibli.
it actually differs from the picture that he saw, for reference of people inthis BBS who read interview PDF.
(link to The British Museum)

Ukiyo-e painted by Katsushika Hokusai
larger image Ukiyo-e http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compas...ge/ps094863.jpg

Japanese Suibokuga

larger image http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compas...ge/ps203558.jpg

chinese Suibokuga

larger image http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compas...arge/k96318.jpg

Post last edited by nanashi on 05.09.2005, 11:50 AM.

05.09.2005, 11:49 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow! nanashi... you've done a great job... yes those are the paintings....
I think the interview has a true point in illustration and the copy in Ghibli poster... it's basically looks like a classic painting with a modern illustration.
However, i think it's also connected somehow with 洋画Yoga (Western Painting by Japanese artists). You can find those in http://www.nitten.or.jp/bumonmokuji2.htm
and this one for classic paintings http://web-japan.org/museum/menu.html

But anyway... I think it's not really a painting of a tsunami.... virtual library translated the title as :
"View through Waves off the Coast of Kanagawa: from "Thirty-Six Views of Mt. Fuji"" by Katsushika Hokusai. refer here http://web-japan.org/museum/eshi/khokusai/khokusai.html

I don't know if Japanese knows this... Suibokuga is connected with Zen Buddhism... a way of simplification...
Maybe the native Japanese doesn't remember all this root that influence the modern art... Indonesian too...

PS: http://www.geocities.jp/yanagi_kyoichi/poster.htm has been updated since there's some advices to make it more realistic (具体的)... so it become less simpler.... please visit to know... maybe you have a second comments

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.11.2005, 02:58 AM.

05.10.2005, 12:23 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry for the late reply again (^_^;; )

quote:
Actually what I want is a personally thought of Ghibli Poster that already been shared with other people.... so it's also the result of thinking of many people....
I don't think people can't have thought about Ghibli if he doesn't share it with a friend or colleagues... but btw... if you have any other friend... maybe UO the webmaster... can you persuade them to write to me or in this thread...? Sorry for troubling... this will become sources of consideration before I jump to conclusion...

I suppose UO is still very busy at the meantime. And I do not know many devoted Ghibli fans, despite of the easy accessbility of those titles in my city (^_^;; ). Umm... there is a ghibli discussion group in yahoo that you may give a try:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/studioghibli

quote:
Anyway movie poster in Indonesia is also become decorative, influenced by many Asia films such as Taiwan, Japan, Korean... but still have Western style. Indonesian far too much in adopting Western style so that they almost for their own culture... Indonesia will lose their roots if nobody do something....

Thanks for sharing your ideas and views on this. I think the problem of cultural penetration is becoming more and more serious in many places. The US has been the most successful country in bending the culture of the whole word to that of her own ever since the end of the Great War. People over the world are attracted too much to the American way of life, from their eating habits and fashion style to their internal values. In the recent decades Japan has been catching up quickly, and has an increasing significance, thanks to the wider popularity of anime, manga and the works of the Japanese celebrities. In my city, despite of the fastfood culture, there is also a sheer dislike towards domestic movies, and the people only expect to see in the theatres the Hollywood productions.

quote:
There's many of my friend that want to go to Japan just because they love Gundam or something, and wanted to be illustrator in Sunrise or any other studio... yet they don't know the reality in Japan at all.... I already know the reality, but that makes me want to go to Japan more

Somehow I feel that you speak like Morpheus or Neo in the Matrix.

quote:
Poster don't have a significant job... So people knows movies not from poster or tv ads first, but from Magazine (domestic and foreign magazine) and buzz marketing! Posters... I think it would only be a bonus to the magazine readers...

Umm... this is really quite a worldwide trend of the loss of the significance of the posters as a means of promotion.

btw Nanashi thanks for posting the links of the paintings.

05.11.2005, 03:42 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Umm... this is really quite a worldwide trend of the loss of the significance of the posters as a means of promotion. (Jiji)
Ummm... this is only happened to movie poster...

Somehow I feel that you speak like Morpheus or Neo in the Matrix. (Jiji)
How do y'know that? Yes I'm Neo cursed into Cat Baron while in Neko no Ongaeshi world... I think Trinity been here first and needs my help

05.13.2005, 01:09 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

about japanese traditional painting
Takahata is writing such a book though im not reading this book.

十二世紀のアニメーション―国宝絵巻物に見る映画的・ アニメ的なるもの (高畑 勲)
Animation of the 12th century
the article in the national treasure picture scroll that is like movie/animation (Takaha Isao)
https://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/guest/c...347&AREA=04

05.14.2005, 10:38 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Thanks for the cover... I think the book also refer to Choujuu Giga Emaki which is also the root of Manga...

One of my reference use this book as its reference you can download in www.geocities.jp/nekojimusho/ or just here
http://www.iar.ubc.ca/centres/cjr/public...aoriYoshida.pdf

It focused on anime in general actually, but the Ghibli portion is very big. it has many infos about culture mix in many Miyazaki's films. Check it out.... one thing that interesting for me is that Ghibli's many elements of Ghibli's movie are considered "stateless"...

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.14.2005, 04:17 PM.

05.14.2005, 04:12 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi
about japanese traditional painting
Takahata is writing such a book though im not reading this book.

十二世紀のアニメーション―国宝絵巻物に見る映画的・ アニメ的なるもの (高畑 勲)
Animation of the 12th century

quote:
It focused on anime in general actually, but the Ghibli portion is very big. it has many infos about culture mix in many Miyazaki's films. Check it out.... one thing that interesting for me is that Ghibli's many elements of Ghibli's movie are considered "stateless"...

Thanks for introducing the book. It sounds quite interesting.

I always have a feeling that the Ghibli animation are made without "boundaries", and with appeals that anyone can appreciate. (The "boundaries" here are not only national boundaries, but also age barriers, cultural differences and other things that normally seperate people apart)

This is somehow a very general feeling, and I have not come into details on exactly what sorts of elements that give rise to such. It would certainly be nice to see how Takahata, as a director and producer of many Ghibli animations, how he sheds light on this topic.

(one thing though: Japanese books are pretty inaccessible here )

05.15.2005, 02:46 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

I always have a feeling that the Ghibli animation are made without "boundaries", and with appeals that anyone can appreciate. (The "boundaries" here are not only national boundaries, but also age barriers, cultural differences and other things that normally seperate people apart) (Jiji)
Japan is unique with their cultural export and import. I don't know if nanashi is familiar with the term "Gross National Cool", or "Japanese Cool". It's an interesting review about contemporary pop-culture in Japan.

Try this keyword:

"Gross National Cool"

with " mark in Google to find more information... it's valuable to watch Japan Cool.

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.16.2005, 03:44 AM.

05.16.2005, 03:22 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

This is the link for the PDF file of "Gross National Cool" by Douglas McGray... actually Mr. Douglas himself who had coined the word "Gross National Cool" as his thesis about cultural export of Japan.... so he is the basic. May be you can find any other opinion from the net (even Time Asia in August 2003 used it as reference...)

here i provide address to download the pdf of Gross National Cool article in Foreign Magazine.

Comments from his Homepage:
This essay explores why Japanese cultural influence boomed globally in the 1990s, after its economy crashed, instead of during the 1980s, when the country enjoyed greater political and economic influence. It was the subject of a TIME Asia cover story and a profile in the "Year in Ideas" issue of the New York Times Magazine, and was reprinted in a number of international publications, including The Guardian (UK) and Chuo Koron (Japan). http://www.douglasmcgray.com/grossnationalcool.pdf

not yet included in www.geocities.jp/nekojimusho/ though

PS: Maybe you know the Time Asia i talked about... the cover is Sheena Ringo pointing at the readers with big "Japan's Rules OK" as the headline...

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.16.2005, 04:39 PM.

05.16.2005, 04:07 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Lately the topic is going out from poster... ^^:

well let's going back... I have just created a new page..

www.geocities.jp/nekojimusho/poster.htm

This time is about the picture that in the poster... anyway, since I don't have yamada-kun, can somebody inform me about the picture used in the poster?

Thanks before...

05.17.2005, 10:48 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
This time is about the picture that in the poster... anyway, since I don't have yamada-kun, can somebody inform me about the picture used in the poster?

Here is the first-wave poster bird that shows itself at 03:03 of the movie.

05.17.2005, 04:33 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Wow. Thanks Jiji!

But is this the same as the opening scene? Did the bird actually had a significance part in the movie itself or just an icon?

btw.. i dont heard anything from nanashi lately... is he going on vacation ? or there more customer at Yuuya

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.18.2005, 02:07 AM.

05.18.2005, 01:57 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

hi, everybody! how are you?

>Neko Danshaku =^^=
>well let's going back... I have just created a new page..
>http://www.geocities.jp/nekojimusho/poster.htm
it is a nice idea that you compared the picture of movie with the design of the poster. and, wonderful.
nice layout, BG, and coloring.

btw i heard Goya's picture recently.
i think that knowledgeable Mr.Miyazaki surely knows this picture.

Goya's Asmodeus

mimisuma

05.18.2005, 11:09 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
But is this the same as the opening scene? Did the bird actually had a significance part in the movie itself or just an icon?

No, just as you said the bird is merely an icon. After showing the bird, the camera zooms out and shows the title of the movie.

I am not sure of the definition of the "opening scene." If you expect it is like Conan with a theme song at the very beginning, than Yamada does not have one. The first 3 minutes is mainly a humourous introduction of the characters. In a certain sense it is like an opening scene, just not the conventional type.

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi

Goya's Asmodeus

Thanks for sharing the pic. Interesting indeed, but looks slightly weird and scary for me (^_^;; ). It somehow looks like a screenshot of an old 60s movie. Probably Miyazaki knows about it, but I am not sure if the connection of this picture and the poster of Mimi is valid or not. After all, free flight as a fantasy element is pretty common indeed.

Oh I found out that Asmodeus means "Fantastic vision" through some googling.

Not exactly related, but btw, I saw in a recent news report from Asahi Shimbun that the total amount Miyazaki paid for his tax in 2004 is 21540 million yen. I am not familiar with the Japanese taxation system, but is there anyway to calculate Miyazaki's total 2004 income?

05.18.2005, 06:09 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

I am not sure of the definition of the "opening scene." If you expect it is like Conan with a theme song at the very beginning, than Yamada does not have one. The first 3 minutes is mainly a humourous introduction of the characters. In a certain sense it is like an opening scene, just not the conventional type. (Jiji)
I mean this image

found this on nausicaa.net, what do you call this? Title screen?
Oh and I curious too... is Ishii Hisaishi-san himself that drawed the Yamadas in both of the posters?

Thanks it's precious to know Asmodeus is connected with Mimisuma... but did Miyazaki himself refer to the Asmodeus picture?
Btw is it a movie poster or a painting? Didnt see any title in there...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh I found out that Asmodeus means "Fantastic vision" through some googling. (Jiji)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow thanks! Wonder if it's an English word..

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.19.2005, 01:18 AM.

05.19.2005, 01:10 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
I mean this image

found this on nausicaa.net, what do you call this? Title screen?
Oh and I curious too... is Ishii Hisaishi-san himself that drawed the Yamadas in both of the posters?

Oh I get it now. Sorry for the misunderstanding (^_^;; )

At the start of the movie, Nonoko introduces her family. After awhile her father scolds Noboru (Nonoko's brother) and twists up his tongue as even himself is confused with what he is saying about. The camera then shifts and shows a bird on a branch singing merrily (the screenshot I posted previously). After that, the camera zooms out and shows the title. The screen is the same as the one that you found in nausicaa.net.

quote:
Btw is it a movie poster or a painting? Didnt see any title in there...

Asmodeus is a painting drawn by "Goya y Lucientes,Francisco Jose de" (1746-182, a Spainish court painter. Just like many of his unofficial works, Asmodeus does not follow the 19thC way of drawing.. The word "Asmodeus" itself is the title.

In a fine arts website, the painting's title is "Fantastic vision (Asmodeus)." But in a dictionary site, Asmodeus is defined as "A spirit originally viewed as king of the demons in Jewish demonology and later as a mischievous sprite."

I think the word may have different meanings in different languages. But the translation given by the arts site presumably follows the artist's mother-tongue or original idea.

05.19.2005, 06:20 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

quote:
I curious too... is Ishii Hisaishi-san himself that drawed the Yamadas in both of the posters?
2nd.
i had read with the book that the Noboru-bird is a one of the cut of Ishii Hisaichi's Manga.
1st.
a cut of Mama that is behind a bush warbler is touch of Ishii Hisaichi.

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
Not exactly related, but btw, I saw in a recent news report from Asahi Shimbun that the total amount Miyazaki paid for his tax in 2004 is 21540 million yen. I am not familiar with the Japanese taxation system, but is there anyway to calculate Miyazaki's total 2004 income?
i searched a tax rate. income 18 million yen over: 37% and some adjustment values.
21540 million yen --> 21.54 million yen (21,540,000)
(21.54+250)/.37 => about 65.00 million yen (65,000,000)

Post last edited by nanashi on 05.19.2005, 01:20 PM.

05.19.2005, 01:18 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

2nd.
i had read with the book that the Noboru-bird is a one of the cut of Ishii Hisaichi's Manga.
1st.
a cut of Mama that is behind a bush warbler is touch of Ishii Hisaichi. (nanashi)
Hey it's interesting! do you have the picture? I would like to see it...

i searched a tax rate. income 18 million yen over: 37% and some adjustment values.
21540 million yen --> 21.54 million yen (21,540,000)
(21.54+250)/.37 => about 65.00 million yen (65,000,000) (nanashi)
What a great amount of money.... I wonder what is the normal tax for products or needs in Japan... 10% or.....?

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.19.2005, 01:52 PM.

05.19.2005, 01:50 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks