QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I have actually been reading a bit more lately, just not much in English. Right now I'm on the seventh Haruhi Suzumiya novel.

Had you read the story before in English? If so, are you finding much difference between the English and the Japanese versions???

I had seen the anime, which was why I picked it in the first place. I figured it would be easier if I already knew the story. Of course, by now I'm far beyond what was covered in the anime series.

I haven't read any of the books in English, though.

01.17.2020, 05:20 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
I am currently reading volume 4 of My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute (Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai)," the light novel which will get an anime adaptation later this year. My next leisure reading is probably Eiga Douraku by Toshio Suzuki (<- Tavern members should be able to recognize this guy straight away ) .

But then I should be reading International Investment Law right now instead. Exams are coming next week. :x

im also reading this

03.03.2020, 10:46 PM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I should really be posting in this thread more often. Recently I read Kitchen by Yoshimoto Banana in about two weeks (because it's pretty short and I didn't have much to do at work) and now I'm close to finishing the first Bakemonogatari. I've read a couple of other books in the series already.

03.17.2020, 08:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
poncholumps
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.23.20
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by poncholumps Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Unspoken Name
by A. K. Larkwood

03.23.2020, 04:19 AM poncholumps is offline   Profile for poncholumps Add poncholumps to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Suzuki...? Suzuki...?

I used to ride a Suzuki 185?

(snicker)

Yes, I recognize Toshio Suzuki's name...

------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently saw and bought five graphic novel books authored by Raina Telgemeier because I thought that some of my Granddaughters might like them... As usual, I read thru them myself and they are drawn and written quite well, iIMO, but some of the books deal with serious subjects like puberty and death, etc. They are not dealt with in a bad way, but I think that I am going to run them by their Mom first and let her decide as to the if and when they are given to the girls...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.23.2020, 06:35 PM.

03.23.2020, 06:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I started the second Kiki's Delivery Service book today. I managed to get through the first chapter already, so hopefully it won't take too long to read.

04.30.2020, 10:33 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Currently reading an earlier Louis L'Amour book titled "No Traveler Returns" about life aboard a tanker ship laden with Naptha, a highly dangerous gas vapor to the South Pacific...

04.30.2020, 12:47 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

One of my favorite authors, Louis L'Amour, died in 1988 at the age of 80... He wrote well over 100 novels and more short stories than I can count... He left many, many stories started, but not finished in many cases. His son, Beau, has collected these partial stories and in some cases tried to fill out the tales as he felt that his father might have intended... Beau has had published a number of these collections, one of which I finished the other day "Louis L'Amour's Lost Treasures #2"

----------------------------------------------------
Today, I started and finished one of L'Amour's novels titled "Silver Canyon"...

06.07.2020, 06:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Finished an Agatha Christie book of short stories yesterday, currently reading "Under Orders" by Dick Francis

08.29.2020, 10:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I started reading Konbini Ningen (Convenience Store Woman) today. I'm a little embarrassed to have got to this point and not actually read a Japanese novel, so here I go. It's been pretty smooth reading so far. I remember how much effort it used to be to read material like this, so... it's giving me a nice sense of how much I've improved. I'm intrigued by the story itself, too, the main character is interesting. It doesn't seem to be a very long book, so hopefully I'll finish within a couple of weeks.

My Anime List

10.21.2020, 08:21 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Who wrote that one? It sounds familiar.

I agree that it's a good feeling to realise you can get through a serious book with so much less trouble than before. Since moving I've hardly been reading though, or studying Japanese at all actually. I really need to get back into it.

10.23.2020, 03:43 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sayaka Murata. It won the Akutagawa Prize in 2016. It's been on my radar for a while.

Mm, it's easy to fall out of the habit of reading and studying if there's no particular outside motivation. I'm doing a few hours' translation work nearly every day at the moment, so I couldn't get away from it if I wanted to, haha.

My Anime List

10.23.2020, 09:13 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

A book of short stories (no, not Louis L'Amour this time, lol)

I'll edit in the editors name when I get back on later today... It is a book of Detective stories from some well known authors from the past... Dashiell Hammett with some of his 'Sam Spade' short's... I am enjoying it...
----------------------------------------------

I'm Back... Title: "Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America" Edited: David Willis MacCullough
-------------
Some of the short story authors:
Dorothy Sayer; Agatha Christie; William Faulkner; Ellery Queen; Ray Bradbury; Rex Stout; P.D. James and more...

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.23.2020, 07:17 PM.

10.23.2020, 03:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Mm, it's easy to fall out of the habit of reading and studying if there's no particular outside motivation. I'm doing a few hours' translation work nearly every day at the moment, so I couldn't get away from it if I wanted to, haha.

I've been working on translation myself, but it's not quite the same as reading for enjoyment and improvement. But since it's no longer very pressing and I don't have a clear opportunity (I used to read on the train a lot and I don't use trains here) it's harder to make time for it.

Anyway, I actually have quite a few books still to read, so there's plenty of material once I get back into the rhythm!

10.24.2020, 03:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
poncholumps
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.23.20
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by poncholumps Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

currently reading The Rise of Magicks by Nora Roberts

11.24.2020, 01:48 PM poncholumps is offline   Profile for poncholumps Add poncholumps to your buddy list
KaliAce
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.05.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by KaliAce Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

currently reading The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett

01.11.2021, 03:45 PM KaliAce is offline   Profile for KaliAce Add KaliAce to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Currently reading "When Marnie Was There" by Joan G. Robinson... Started mid-day, now about 1/2 way through... Reading off and on...

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.11.2021, 09:45 PM.

01.11.2021, 09:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Finished reading "Sackett's Land" by (surprise, surprise) Louis L'Amour...

It was a tale about a young man (Barnabas) from the fens of England about 1599, who upon seeing a comely lady in a coach, staring at him, who say she is thirsty. He, got the dipper from a nearby well, filled it as was raising it to her, them she might drink. As he is raising the dipper to her, his arm is knocked aside in anger by a nobleman (Rupert). When the man starts to strike him, Barnabas, from living in the wilds as he has, pushes back in reaction, knocking Rupert to the mud and the lady laughs, which infuriates Rupert, who draws his sword.. Barnabas, recognizing his error, takes off back into the fens.

The story continues from there, taking Barnabas into London where through his meeting people who knew, or knew of, his father, a noted warrior. It takes us, among many things, to a play of an actor and writer by name of William Shakespeare in a ramshackle outdoor theater. We follow Barnabas through the streets of London (Sevenoaks is mentioned, the birthplace of one of MY ancestors) taken aboard a ship (Rupert's doing) and ends up on the shores of America.

And the story goes on from there, including the meeting of some of the 'savages' of the America's...

[Starting around 1993, this is at least the fourth time that I have read this book, as per my notations inside the cover...]

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.25.2021, 02:12 PM.

01.25.2021, 02:11 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I've been doing a lot of reading these last few days... Reading one of my favorite authors, Louis L'Amour... These have all been typical western stories set more or less in the 1864-1875.

These two are further tales of the Sackett family: "The Sackett Brand" and "Mojave Crossing"...

One is loosely the story of a noted real life Texas man by the name of 'Cullen Baker' in the "Reconstruction' years following the end og the Civil War here in the States around 1865... "The First Fast Draw". No one knows for sure who first used the 'fast draw', as it came to be known, but L'Amour give a plausible possibility...

The last three are "Tucker" who through his own youthful "I know it all, 17 yr old years" indirectly causes the death of his father and the loss of money belonging to him and his dad and their neighbors and his story of chasing the thieves in an attempt to recover this money...

"The Empty Land", He doesn't want to, but things happen, bringing him back into the task of taming a wild, unscrupulous mining town.

"To Tame A Land", !2 yr old Rye Tyler, lost his mother to ilness and his father to treachery and death by attacking Indians while coming West. He is taken in by a couple who continue raising him, providing an education both in the classroom and in life and survival in the wilderness with many surprises in store for him...

01.31.2021, 09:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Read the Disney "The Cat Returns" picture boo
original graphic by Aoi Hiiragi... project concept by Hayao Miyazaki...
directed by Hiroyuki Morita...
----------------------------------------------------
also read some of my Louis L'Amour novels:

'Guns of the Timberlands'
'Lando'
'Bowdrie' short stories of Bowdrie, a Texas Ranger...
'Under the Sweetwater Rim'
'Ride the Dark Trail'
and Kid Rodelo'...

Plus parts of several magazines...
Saturday Evening Post; National Geographic; Readers Digest and Good Old Days...

02.15.2021, 09:06 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks