QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - A new Anime
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » A new Anime » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.02.10
  A new AnimePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Karawekhime14 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi sorry about being away for a while been super busy.
i am looking for a new anime or manga to watch/read, and would like a few suggestions from tavern goers.
I guess you would say I am relatively new to Anime/manga so here are a few that I have watched already.

Mangas:
Dance! Subaru
me and my brothers
Aishiteruze baby
A town where you live
Aozora yell
Bamboo blade
My girl
Yotsubato!
Chobits
Galaxy angel II

Animes
All of the above titles that had a anime.
Elfien Lied (a few episodes)
Vampire Knight (didn't really like)
Ranma 1/2
Lucky Star (not finished)
Angel Beats ( not finished)

So yeah not that many, and I seem so like the happy carefree ones so......

05.13.2010, 03:34 PM Karawekhime14 is offline   Profile for Karawekhime14 Add Karawekhime14 to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Could you be a bit more specific in what you liked about what you did watch? it would make suggestions a lot easier. From the sounds of it, saying you like the carefree ones, then you might enjoy things like Aria or moe shows that really dont have a whole lot of substance that makes you thing, but can just be fun diversions.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.13.2010, 04:02 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Karawekhime14
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Karawekhime14 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

more of the carefree ones are good , but i'm also wanting to find a good serious anime that I can stay into, usually i lose interest pretty fast for some reason.
so yeah, i'm not being to specific just want to know what else is out there.

05.13.2010, 11:51 PM Karawekhime14 is offline   Profile for Karawekhime14 Add Karawekhime14 to your buddy list
Karawekhime14
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Karawekhime14 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here is the list again with some of my opinions.

Mangas:
Dance! Subaru -I probably only like this one because its about a dancer, and i like the plot even though its pretty sad.
Aozora yell -I really like this one reminded me of whisper of the heart alot, one of my favorites
Yotsubato! -fun and something that will always make me smile -
Chobits -liked it. at first it was a little confusing, but it eventually got easier to understand)

Animes:
Elfien Lied (a few episodes)-the violence and nudity didn't actually bother me it was the pointlessness of the story that got me, sorry to anyone who takes offense

Vampire Knight (didn't like) -I found the main character (can't remember name) helplessness to be annoying and I didn't like the ending
Ranma 1/2 - mostly just funny and enjoyable
Lucky Star (not finished) - funny funny funny
Azumanga Daioh -same as Lucky star

I'm not sure if this helps or not maybe i'm just rambling

05.14.2010, 12:06 AM Karawekhime14 is offline   Profile for Karawekhime14 Add Karawekhime14 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

here are a few that you might like:

light-hearted...
Clannad
Dears
Shuffle
Kodocha
Midori Days
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Negima
Toradora
To Love Ru
===========================
serious...
Kino's Journey
5 centimeters per second
Noir
Zipang
Tokyo Godfathers
Millenium Actress
Tekkin Kinkreet

I have many others, but this should help...

05.17.2010, 09:09 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Karawekhime14
Calcifer

Thanks Husky

I watched 5 Centimeters Per Second, oh i wanted to cry, it was so sad.
one of the best animes i've seen absolutely amazing and the art was fantastic too.

Post last edited by Karawekhime14 on 05.17.2010, 11:28 AM.

05.17.2010, 10:19 AM Karawekhime14 is offline   Profile for Karawekhime14 Add Karawekhime14 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

another one I might add is "Voices of a Distant Star"...

05.17.2010, 03:35 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For serious anime, you'd be best going for films or short series, as you say you tend to lose interest in them quickly. I'll second Husky's suggestions of Millennium Actress and Voices of a Distant Star.

05.17.2010, 05:24 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Might as well continue the Shinkai love and watch Place Promised in our Early Days as well.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.17.2010, 05:58 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You should read 20th century boys

Check out my music:

08.18.2010, 02:19 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For films, not series, The Girl who Leapt Through Time is fun. Quite easy to watch, very pretty artwork and a rather cute story.

For series The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a definite. It's both light/funny and odd/intriguing at the same time. Great artwork too.

For laughs and silliness you could also try the series Azumanga Daioh. Its based on a newspaper carton strip so each episode is just a series of stand alone scenes which are easy to watch. If I'm in a blue mood I'll randomly drop one of the DVDs in the player and choose an episode to cheer myself up.

Kare Kano is also a fun/silly (and somewhat mad) series. All these last three are set in schools BTW.

There is also Fooly Cooly which is just 6 episodes but is altogether crazy/strange.

Cencoroll is a one-episode OAV and is really cute and odd. Gorgeous artwork again.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.18.2010, 02:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FunkyDan
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.26.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FunkyDan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm somewhat new to the anime world myself, I've been watching this series and I love it so far, the characters that the writers worked so hard on, the cute and funny with random action and romance, I suggest Ah! My Goddess, which is what I am currently watching now. I agree with everyone's suggestions as well.

My favorite film from Studio Ghibli would have to be Howl's Moving Castle, from the story, to the soundtrack, this movie has exceeded all others. But I will always be a fan of every movie by Studio Ghibli, I'm not the biggest fan of Whisper of the Heart, I guess because I like the action and the magic in the others.

08.19.2010, 11:44 PM FunkyDan is offline   Profile for FunkyDan Add FunkyDan to your buddy list Homepage of FunkyDan
Karawekhime14
Calcifer

thanks Saddletank

I've actually already watched The girl who leapt through time and really liked it.
and I have watched azumanga daioh at least 3 times from beginning to end.

gonna take a look at fooly cooly

09.09.2010, 12:23 AM Karawekhime14 is offline   Profile for Karawekhime14 Add Karawekhime14 to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks