QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Grave of the Fireflies
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Grave of the Fireflies » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
dbrisco
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.30.10
  Grave of the FirefliesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dbrisco Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello everyone. I realize I'm a little late discovering "Grave," but I saw it for the first time this weekend and I'm having trouble getting it out of my head, even as I sit down to work...

Maybe it's because I have a little girl of my own that's making me emotional every time I think about Setsuko's final moments...I had to fight back tears during the entire movie...why oh why is this story getting to me?!

Hope I'm not overreacting, but if I were still seeing my shrink I'd be calling for an emergency appointment right now (letting out a deep sigh); it wasn't enough for me to tell my husband about my sadness, but to his credit he's sympathetic about it--he actually cried more than I did when we were watching!

I'm still playing back parts of the story in my head, blaming the aunt, then Seita, but I'd often come back to realize that it was a time of war, the aunt was under stress (and perhaps one of many Japanese who were fanatic about the "war effort" but blissfully unaware of the atrocities committed by Japanese soldiers in countries like my native Philippines); Seita was only a child, and did what he thought was best for him and his sister. As a young child I had fantasies of running away whenever my parents scolded me severely, thinking that kind people would be around to help me when I got hungry or needed shelter. Good thing I never had to face the harsh reality of being a child, homeless, orphaned and unable to find compassion in a world of indifferent people.

....Feeling a little better now...it is only a story after all...
(for Pete's sake it's a cartoon and I'm 45 years old!)...thanks for letting me rant...

08.30.2010, 12:31 PM dbrisco is offline   Profile for dbrisco Add dbrisco to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There is a forum on here for Studio Ghibli discussions. Might be best to put your post there.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.30.2010, 02:29 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
dbrisco
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.30.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dbrisco Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks much, Saddletank! (I'm such a noob as you can see ...)

08.30.2010, 02:54 PM dbrisco is offline   Profile for dbrisco Add dbrisco to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

don't feel bad, dbrisco, my feelings were much the same and I'm 63

btw, try not to give away too much of the plot when you are talking about a film. Many, like yourself, have not seen it yet. I have my copy loaned out to a few people at a pharmacy near where I work and the reaction is also much the same...

Roarkiller will probably move this to the Ghibli Discussion site...

also btw WELCOME to the Tavern... post a thread and introduce yourself...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.30.2010, 06:51 PM.

08.30.2010, 06:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Karawekhime14
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.02.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Karawekhime14 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah so I basically cried through the entire thing, and afterward I cried for like an hour.
Your reaction is completely normal, and if you didn't react that way then I think there might be something wrong with you.
And check out some other ghibli's too (if you haven't already) "grave" is one of there best but it's story is bit more realistic than the others. so even though its a cartoon it's telling a very true and sad story.
and on that very depressing note.......

08.31.2010, 11:44 PM Karawekhime14 is offline   Profile for Karawekhime14 Add Karawekhime14 to your buddy list
miyazki_eternal
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.08.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by miyazki_eternal Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i havent seen Grave of the Fireflies yet. Whats up with that??

from what i just read, it seems that im in for an roller coaster of a movie.

im beginning to imagine the themes of the movie.

Post last edited by miyazki_eternal on 12.13.2010, 04:10 AM.

12.13.2010, 04:08 AM miyazki_eternal is offline   Profile for miyazki_eternal Add miyazki_eternal to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I consider it a very good movie... altho I will probably never watch it again even tho it is in my collection. The ages of the boy and girl were very much like myself and my sister and I too had to take care of her a great deal. I felt the connection very much and I too cried...

12.13.2010, 12:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
miyazki_eternal
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.08.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by miyazki_eternal Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i just got this movie and it is spoken in english and has english subtitles...

annoying

12.13.2010, 12:37 PM miyazki_eternal is offline   Profile for miyazki_eternal Add miyazki_eternal to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

You can't turn off the sub-titles???

My copy is in Japanese w/ the subs...

12.13.2010, 02:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Animenewbie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 10.24.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Animenewbie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just watched it myself, very sad but still a good movie. I don't think it would fit in my top 5 ghiblis though.

12.14.2010, 09:38 AM Animenewbie is offline   Profile for Animenewbie Add Animenewbie to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

SPOLIER ALERT

I hate the aunt she should be killed her body used to feed seita!

I never understood why setsukei didn't withdraw money earlier. Like i know he was proabably trying to save but he needed to get proper food and medicine before!

Post last edited by Calforsale on 12.20.2010, 07:24 AM.

12.17.2010, 10:00 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Did i just mix up seita and setsukei :S

12.17.2010, 10:03 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Welcome to the Tavern, Calforsale...

start a thread to introduce yourself...

also, we try to give as few spoilers as possible for the benefit of those who haven't seen the picture under discussion...

12.19.2010, 04:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's fine to talk about the plot if you make it clear that this thread will contain such talk. There would be no scope for real discussions about a movie if you're never allowed to discuss the plot in depth.

12.19.2010, 11:06 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
husky51
The Old Guy

agreed, thank you for the clairification, Theowne

12.19.2010, 12:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Welcome to the Tavern, Calforsale...

start a thread to introduce yourself...

also, we try to give as few spoilers as possible for the benefit of those who haven't seen the picture under discussion...

Ha ha lol i should've wrote spoiler alert in big black letters! Ill try and edit that in!

Thanks for the welcome but i actually joined a while ago i just havn't made many posts and threads lol

12.20.2010, 07:23 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

in that case, Welcome back...

Now get posting!!! lol

12.20.2010, 10:46 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This movie didn't bring me to tears--it was quite a bit more profound. The first time I saw it I was stunned--and remained that way, unable to get it out of my mind, for days.

I don't know whether it's true or not, but there's an old tale about President Abraham Lincoln's famous Gettysburg Address. It was said that the audience didn't break out in applause during or after the speech and that Lincoln was worried that it was a failure. The audience, according to the story, was stunned at the greatness and significance of his words. Whether or not the tale is true, I know the effect can happen because I lived it with this film.

12.26.2010, 12:26 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Beve
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.26.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Beve Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A great film - made me cry. (although I'm a little like Andy Brennan from TP)

12.26.2010, 07:41 PM Beve is offline   Profile for Beve Add Beve to your buddy list
tiki
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.27.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Can you not get the original book where this movie was based? I'd love to read it and was shocked when I found it was a true story. How sad.

01.08.2011, 07:14 PM tiki is offline   Profile for tiki Add tiki to your buddy list Homepage of tiki
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks