QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Hayao Miyazaki vegetarian?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Hayao Miyazaki vegetarian? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Author
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Hayao Miyazaki vegetarian? Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm just wondering if you think he might be a vegetarian? Because he is always about living one with nature and animal rights.

11.24.2010, 08:35 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I doubt it.
I don't remember him talking about "animal rights". And IMHO you can perfectly love nature and animals without need of being vegetarian.

In the "Making of Spirited Away", when they had to record Chihiro's mother voice while eating, the team brought some chicken (I think) to the studio. And Mizayaki was the first one to take a piece. You can see yourself here, minutes 2:00 to 3:00 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkgJuT8Q81k

Post last edited by leonbloy on 11.24.2010, 02:54 PM.

11.24.2010, 02:51 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LOL he ate chicken. Damn! I didn't think it would be likley for him to be one lol

I havn't heard him talk about animal rights but i think it kind of highlights the way they are treated in Spirited Away when her parents turn into pigs who are going to the chopping block.

IMO you can't truley love animals and nature knowing what they go through. But let's not have a debate about this on a board like this lol!

12.17.2010, 10:02 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Miyazaki is an environmentalist to be sure, but I haven't heard of him as an "animal rights" type. In fact, Shintoism is the native Japanese religion/philosophy which strives to bring man and nature into balance yet, even with that backdrop, the Japanese have no problems with eating meat. Beef, pork, chicken, and fish are extremely popular and, to a lesser extent, so are whale, horse, and lamb. (However, I haven't seen any places which sell or serve rabbit or dog.) As for beef and pork, the Japanese pride themselves in producing the best quality meats. Kobe beef and Kyushu's black pork are both highly prized and priced.

As for animal rights, I would say that all animals have the right to eat other animals.

12.26.2010, 11:28 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The concept of vegetarianism is foreign pretty much throughout east Asia, as is the idea of "animal rights." If anyone is vegetarian it's usually a Buddhist thing. It's a cultural difference, really. It's why so many organizations are constantly hounding Japan for their whaling industry to basically no effect.

12.27.2010, 02:03 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Rapyuta-bot
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.18.14
  Search for Posts by Rapyuta-bot Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by leonbloy
IMHO you can perfectly love nature and animals without need of being vegetarian.

Really? You can love animals *and* pay someone to kill them so you can eat them? That must be some form of "love" with which I'm unfamiliar.

02.18.2014, 04:28 AM Rapyuta-bot is offline   Profile for Rapyuta-bot Add Rapyuta-bot to your buddy list
Rapyuta-bot
Susuwatari

Search for Posts by Rapyuta-bot Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
As for animal rights, I would say that all animals have the right to eat other animals.

Except, of course, that most animals don't eat other animals; the vast majority of animals aren't predators, they're herbivores, frugivores, etc. Just like our closest relatives -- the great apes, with whom we share 98%+/- of our DNA -- who are almost entirely vegetarian.

02.18.2014, 04:30 AM Rapyuta-bot is offline   Profile for Rapyuta-bot Add Rapyuta-bot to your buddy list
Rapyuta-bot
Susuwatari

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
The concept of vegetarianism is foreign pretty much throughout east Asia

SMDH

Not even close. The fact is that there are around 100 million vegetarians throughout China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, and Vietnam. This is mostly due to Mahayana Buddhism, which has been an integral part of society in those places for over 1,500 years.

Of course, even they pale in comparison to the numbers of vegetarian Hindus and Jains in Peninsular Asia.

02.18.2014, 04:41 AM Rapyuta-bot is offline   Profile for Rapyuta-bot Add Rapyuta-bot to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Rapyuta-bot
That must be some form of "love" with which I'm unfamiliar.

I'm sure of that.

02.18.2014, 08:18 AM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Rapyuta-bot
quote:

Except, of course, that most animals don't eat other animals; the vast majority of animals aren't predators, they're herbivores, frugivores, etc. Just like our closest relatives -- the great apes, with whom we share 98%+/- of our DNA -- who are almost entirely vegetarian.

Chimps often hunt down monkeys, tear them apart and eat them. Not to mention all those ants and termites.

How is what the majority does remotely relevant anyway? We're not cows, we're not evolved to be exclusively herbivorous. We're omnivores and we will eat what we want, just as we always have...

My Anime List

02.18.2014, 08:20 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Given that 3 years elapsed between the original discussion and the recent posts by the new member (only 3 posts) I'm a bit suspicious of their motives here. You'd have to look pretty hard through the forum to dig up a 3-year old thread.

Also, no need to triple-post. There's an edit button for a reason.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 02.18.2014, 10:46 AM.

02.18.2014, 08:26 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hadn't even noticed the age of the thread.

Eh, maybe they're just new to forums and don't know about necro-ing...

My Anime List

02.18.2014, 08:49 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Joining a forum to troll a thread that's been ignored for over three years is pretty bizarre, I must say.

02.18.2014, 10:18 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You have to go back fifteen pages to make a "mistake" on necroing. Also, name check.

This is a spam troll. Ignore him people. Also, this thread is hereby closed.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.18.2014, 10:56 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks