QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli fans! I need your help!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Ghibli fans! I need your help!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.05.10
  Ghibli fans! I need your help!! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lou.With.Visual.Cultures Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, I'm a student from Cardiff and I'm studying media with visual cultures and I'm writing an essay (a massively long one might I add) on fans. I have chosen to write about Ghibli fans (being one myself) and I wondered if any of you could help me by answering some questions. I'd really appreciate it
They are...

How did you first discover Studio Ghibli?

What is it in particular that you enjoy most about the films?

Some may say that they are the Japanese equivalent to Disney, to how far would you agree with this?

How do the films make you feel?

Do the films have any particular use to you? For example, inspiration, escapism etc.

Which of the films is your favourite?

Thanks
Lou.With.Visual.Cultures

11.26.2010, 09:12 PM Lou.With.Visual.Cultures is offline   Profile for Lou.With.Visual.Cultures Add Lou.With.Visual.Cultures to your buddy list
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the forum!

How did you first discover Studio Ghibli?:
I saw Spirited Away a couple of times, thinking it was incredible, but didn't get into Studio Ghibli after I saw Princess Mononoke a few years later. That movie sparked my interest even further and in the course of some months I had seen almost all of their movies.

What is it in particular that you enjoy most about the films?:
The stories, the characters, the visuals, the music etc. I think the most crucial thing for me, though, at least in the beginning was the fact that these were animated movies that had high artistic values, but did not follow the standard Disney way of telling the story. It was just so refreshing and a revelation to see intelligent and engaging, as well as uplifting, animated features without stupid song and dance numbers, irritating sidekicks and pure good and evil characters.

Some may say that they are the Japanese equivalent to Disney, to how far would you agree with this?:
I think the comparison is fair in the sense that they are one, if not the, most successful animation studio in Japan and because they produce films which are meant to entertain the whole family. But, as I said earlier they produce their films and tell stories very differently from the average Disney film. That is the main thing that is great about anime in general, Japan has evolved so much further than the West in knowing that animation can be used to tell stories which aren't always aimed at small children, and can be intelligent and respectful towards its audience.

How do the films make you feel?:
Generally, the films tend to make me feel very happy, they are most often uplifting (the big exception here is Grave of the Fireflies). They also tend to be very thrilling, Miyazaki is a master of directing action scenes, and of course very fantastical, which is a great source of escapism. But the most crucial element in just about all the films are the quiet moments, the moments where everything stops and we just observe the scenery. Such moments, like the train ride in Sprited Away, or the busstop scene in My Neighbor Totoro, creates such calm, mysterious and beautiful atmospheres that certain indescribable feelings are always provoked within me. Additionally, many of their films make me feel very nostalgic.

Do the films have any particular use to you? For example, inspiration, escapism etc.:
Hmm... I'd have to say that they most often act as a form of escapism for me, as I like to think most movies are. They have also been an inspiration in a sense that they have opened my eyes as to what is possible with animation, and also that there is more to anime than Pokemon and Dragonball Z.

Which of the films is your favourite?:
That is such a hard question it's easiest to just say its the last one I saw. But if I had to choose one, I'd say either Only Yesterday or Whisper of the Heart. It all depends on what mood I'm in though.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your essay!

11.27.2010, 12:45 PM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Lou.With.Visual.Cultures
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lou.With.Visual.Cultures Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow that's fantasic! Just the sort of answers I was looking for Thank you soooo much, you will be my prized fan in my essay

11.27.2010, 05:17 PM Lou.With.Visual.Cultures is offline   Profile for Lou.With.Visual.Cultures Add Lou.With.Visual.Cultures to your buddy list
Animenewbie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 10.24.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Animenewbie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi! Always happy to help, so here's some answers.

I saw 3 ghibli movies before i even knew about studio ghibli at all. But I was certain of one thing, all the movies had something in common. So one day when Totoro (the first movie i saw a year earlier) came from the tv I became curious who made it.

I've always enjoyed the atmosphere of ghibli movies, how they bring up emotions in me and the quality of them in general. Also I like the music in them!

Some may say that they are the Japanese equivalent to Disney, to how far would you agree with this?
I don't have much to say about this. I do however see some resemblance in them. But in my opinion, quality wins over quantity.

Many movies make you sad, happy, angry, but never have a movie brought up such strong emotions in me as a ghibli has. Whether it's joy or sadness, it always overwhelms me.

Do the films have any particular use to you? For example, inspiration, escapism etc.
Ghibli has been a big inspiration for me in the past three months of my life and it has affected my life in quite a positive manner. It has also inspired me in my drawing and animating.

If i had to chose one from my top 3(princess mononoke, nausicaa, spirited away) I'd have to say princess mononoke. It's the one that has the biggest impact on my emotions.

Sorry for the short answers but I hope it helps. Best of luck with your essay!

Post last edited by Animenewbie on 11.27.2010, 05:49 PM.

11.27.2010, 05:48 PM Animenewbie is offline   Profile for Animenewbie Add Animenewbie to your buddy list
Lou.With.Visual.Cultures
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lou.With.Visual.Cultures Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you very much! I'm welcoming all answers, they're all very valuable

11.27.2010, 08:36 PM Lou.With.Visual.Cultures is offline   Profile for Lou.With.Visual.Cultures Add Lou.With.Visual.Cultures to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi again, Lou...

One thing I must say about your response to O-Jay88's answers to your questions is that you have seemed here to have found some answers that adhere to a preconceived notion of what the answers should be, in your opinion.

I would think that in a survey like this, you would need to keep an open mind until enough responses have come in to make a proper overall evaluation.

I am not chastising you here, just something that I seem to have noticed and if I'm wrong, then i'm wrong and accept full responsibility for my words.

You do seem to be receiving a goodly number of responses and that is good..

Good luck with your continued survey..
================================
edit:
Hi, Lou...
just posting in to apologize for coming at you like I did. I had a, literally, hard days night (lol) and wasn't all myself when I wrote the above. It is your essay and I shouldn't have anything a all to say about it.

Good luck on it...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.28.2010, 01:06 PM.

11.28.2010, 05:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Lou.With.Visual.Cultures
Kodama

Hiya, its cool, I'm not really looking for any specific answers, I'm looking into how people personally feel, so there's no right or wrong answers. Hope you're alright! I hate hard days, they're rubbish :/

11.28.2010, 03:17 PM Lou.With.Visual.Cultures is offline   Profile for Lou.With.Visual.Cultures Add Lou.With.Visual.Cultures to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, fun times here at home, lol

Catch ya later...

11.28.2010, 03:59 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
miyazki_eternal
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.08.10
  for your essay ^_^Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by miyazki_eternal Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first experience with Ghibli was when I was a young kid. I saw My Neighbor Totoro (my dad randomly rents it). I believe that was the main event in my life that steered me in a direction to appreciate Japanese art/cartoons but mostly Miyazaki in this respect.

All I remember now of that profound first experience with Totoro is the total joy of the film. The feelings...the characters...the art and color (the music now plays a major part in my life). Everything good one can ask for in a film (animated or feature film) is all in Miyazki's craftwork. Now that I'm here thinking about it, I really think it was the ridiculousness off it all. As a kid, a giant flying fat cat and a Cat-Bus were just what my young brain needed.

Honestly, I can't really draw a conclusion. I don't follow Disney, pretty much at all. But if there are some who say Ghibli is a rival competitor, you wont hear complaints from me!

Amazing. Like Im a kid. Like I'm flying. Like anything is possible

I would say a good bit of nostalgia goes without saying (I'm typing like I'm an old fart...im only 22 haha). But yea, anyone can experience nostalgia and thats one major thing I get from them. I play guitar and have for a long time. I got bored with the obvious rock n' roll sound and Ghibli music has got to be my dearest favorite in my life currently. I believe, as I grew up with Miyazaki, I connected more with the music of the films and less of other elements. I now enjoy playing classically composed music arranged by Joe Hiasashi.

Which of the films is your favourite? Wow! Amazingly hard question. I love Porco Rosso because how the bond of love between Porco and...(?) is so complex and deep. It certainly described new meanings to love to me. I also enjoy Mononoke when Im in the mood for action (it has plenty of it!). The films I can go back to the most are Totoro and Ponyo however.
----------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps!

12.09.2010, 01:07 AM miyazki_eternal is offline   Profile for miyazki_eternal Add miyazki_eternal to your buddy list
Torlove89
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.10.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Torlove89 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I first saw My neighbor totoro as a child and never forgot about how wonderful this movie was

The music is what first got me, but it's the entire experience; the movies are completely different from anything I've ever seen in america. They have acertain magic about them

100% more so since the two franchises merged together.. BUT the MY neighbor totoro disney version is CRAP

Which of the films is your favourite
Totoro with howls and spirited away at a close second

12.10.2010, 03:56 AM Torlove89 is offline   Profile for Torlove89 Add Torlove89 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I think that I have to say at this point that Lou has already written and turned in his essay.

That being said, anyone still wanting to answer the questions is fine. We get to learn more about our members that way...

12.11.2010, 09:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

gregadamson:

! saw my first anime (sort of) "Alacazam the Great" back around 1960 in the backseat of the family car... As for Ghibli's, I had seen 2 or 3 of them on TV with my kids, without knowing anything about them (haha, the Ghibli's, not the kids) other than I liked them... Then, I started looking for them and here I am...

04.27.2022, 10:08 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
tonaricrilly1995
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.07.22
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tonaricrilly1995 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Alright guess I'll do this. Hope I'm not too late.

A few months after I started watching anime in early 2021, I watched a few minutes of Spirited Away. For some reason I never actually did finish it till March this year. But then I watched Totoro during Ramadan of that year and I fell in love with it. It was a film that just sparked that childish wonder inside me. And so I started watching most of them up until like Sunday, when I finished Kaguya and essentially most of the Ghibli catalogue excluding Earwig.

A few things: the animation/art style, the characters and their development and the music oh dear lord I cannot stop listening to Ghibli music.

Definitely not when it comes to business lol, but I'm pretty sure in terms of films you're talking about. I dunno about that, really.

It varies. Ghibli films provoke all sorts of emotions. Most of them do make me feel strong emotions. Especially the more... down to earth ones.

Very much inspiration. Kiki's Delivery Service made me feel more confident, Whisper of the Heart made me wanna go back into trying to write things (currently I've been writing reviews for films, including some Ghibli ones, I'll share them here if you're interested), and Spirited Away made me feel I should... do more with life.

Currently, and will probably always be Kiki's Delivery Service. I love everything about it, especially Kiki's character development throughout the film. A few of my other favourites are Whisper of the Heart, and When Marnie Was There.

Edit: I just realised this post is 12 years old. I am so sorry.

At least I put out my thoughts here I guess

https://linktr.ee/pfpchanger

Post last edited by tonaricrilly1995 on 05.19.2022, 05:23 PM.

05.19.2022, 05:14 PM tonaricrilly1995 is offline   Profile for tonaricrilly1995 Add tonaricrilly1995 to your buddy list AIM Screenname:  seriously what is this YIM Screenname: Really
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks