QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Trains
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Trains » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
I don't know much about trains although lately I've been learning a little bit about how steam engines work, and the history of machines in general. Lately I've started to become quite interested in the industrial revolution and of course railroads are a major hallmark of that. I find it very interesting that pretty much anything you see today was built by a machine that was built by a machine that was [...] built by a machine that was made by hand during the industrial revolution. ^^
You really should try and get to Britain where so much engineering was born. We have tons and tons of great museums and preserved industrial sites. And even the un-preserved derelict places are great, sometimes moreso because you have to tramp through undergrowth for half an hour to find them only to be presented with a vast derelict mineworking or something.

Our canal network is amazing even today reduced to about 1/4 of its original size, there are some great finds to be made in the middles of fields like tunnel mouths and lonely bridges. There's something awe inspiring and spooky and sad about great structures left to rot and forgotten by men thaat you come across alone on a damp autumn day.

American freight trains are cool too. I love the idea of such huge machines and the vast amount of minerals or grain or oil or car body parts they carry for a thousand miles. Stunning.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.01.2011, 02:17 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I double that opinion

02.02.2011, 08:03 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
You really should try and get to Britain where so much engineering was born. We have tons and tons of great museums and preserved industrial sites. And even the un-preserved derelict places are great, sometimes moreso because you have to tramp through undergrowth for half an hour to find them only to be presented with a vast derelict mineworking or something.

Our canal network is amazing even today reduced to about 1/4 of its original size, there are some great finds to be made in the middles of fields like tunnel mouths and lonely bridges. There's something awe inspiring and spooky and sad about great structures left to rot and forgotten by men thaat you come across alone on a damp autumn day.

American freight trains are cool too. I love the idea of such huge machines and the vast amount of minerals or grain or oil or car body parts they carry for a thousand miles. Stunning.

Speaking of canal systems, a 1988 joint Miyazaki-Takahata documentary about one in Yanagawa gave me a newfound appreciation for the level of engineering that goes into these deceptively primitive-looking transportation systems. If you go to the Google maps section, center the map over Kyushu Island and search for Yanagawa, Fukuoka Prefecture, the map will go to the center of town. Zoom in and pan around--the system is massive.

Canal systems were used extensively in Japan during the feudal era and Yanagawa's was impressive even in their heyday. The documentary goes into the story of an engineer who was brought in to cover over the system, which had fallen into disuse and was becoming an eyesore, with concrete. The engineer had a different idea: clean up and restore the entire system. You've seen the story in its condensed form--a mere few minutes versus the three-hour documentary. The Mayor of the town is Yubaba, the Yanagawa townsfolk are the bathhouse employees, the engineer is Chihiro and the canal system is the "stink spirit." All the metaphors fit so perfectly that I'm sure Miyazaki used the Yanagawa experience as the template for that one scene.

A good part of the documentary covers the technical and engineering aspects of the hundreds of years old system. It was fed by a river and a clever series of gates kept the flow regulated so that the system could be navigated in both directions without going stagnant. Also, it had to protect the town against seasonal extremes of river flow.

EDIT:

This is a map of the town. The blue lines you see are NOT roads!

Post last edited by dballred on 02.02.2011, 12:55 PM.

02.02.2011, 12:38 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I need to see that documentary!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.02.2011, 02:31 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I need to see that documentary!

It's available on DVD. The Japanese title is Yanagawa Horiwari Monogatari, or the "Story of the Yanagawa Waterways." Though a domestic Region 2 NTSC disk, it has an english dialog track. Here is a Link to Amazon.co.jp page . You can click on the 'to English' button to get instructions.

02.02.2011, 04:35 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Nice. Thank you.

02.02.2011, 04:38 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks