QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Who do you think is a better director: Miyazaki or Takahata?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Who do you think is a better director: Miyazaki or Takahata? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Who do you think is a better director: Miyazaki or Takahata?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

All of you know that the backbone and the founders of Studio Ghibli are the two famous directors, Miyazaki and Takahata. But being specialized in the same area (animated movies), who do you think is a better director?

Miyazaki's movies are fantasies that often contains elements of flight and magic, and impressive female leading characters. Though they have different plots and structures, the fundamental ideologies and themes are quite similar in some of his works, like the prevailing concern of environment, and the theme of growth which has an increasing significance in the later works.

Takahata is quite different from Miyazaki for the nature and ideologies of his works cannot be generalized in any way. His works is a very broad collection: from serious anti-war movie and down-to-earth story of growth, to light-hearted environemental movie and slice-of-life comedy. There are not many other directors that can achieve such a high degree of flexibility and adapt themselves to such a great variety of themes and styles.

Still, on a personal level, I enjoy the Miyazaki films much more. The only Takahata film that I like is Panda Kopanda.

05.21.2005, 06:15 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i have the impression of Mr.Takahata who makes a movie on social issues seriously.
but, i notice that there are a lot of works that has described daily life of ordinary people when recalling once more. Panda Kopanda, Jarinko Chie(Chie the Brat), Gauche, Omohide, Yamada ...
the impression of "Grave of the Fireflies" and "Yanagawa" is too heavy and i mistake a tendency his works.

i think that, in recent years, Mr.Miyazaki requests a natural performance of the film character like Mr.Takahata leaving aside the ideology of the movie. Mr.Miyazaki was aged?

of course, i like all Miyazaki works.
also, I like Omohide(Excluding the child age), Hols, and Panda.

05.21.2005, 11:00 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Like nanashi said... it's hard to choose between those two... maybe for those who doesn't know Takahata very close can't love his movies... I like Miyazaki's works... but not every movies... there's some that I don't like to watch for more than 2 times in a row... the same for Tahakata...

I even like Umi ga kikoeru which didn't include both directors... maybe it's hard for me to choose which is the best between them....

This movie is what I like... and what i like means i don't get bore if i watch it even 5 times in a row.. sorted by years...

火垂るの墓/Grave of Fireflies
魔女の宅急便/Kiki's Delivery Service
おもひでぽろぽろ/Only Yesterday
海がきこえる/Ocean Waves
耳をすませば/Whisper of The Heart
猫の恩返し/The Cat Returns

.... there's two Takahata's movies... but I don't think I like just Takahata's movies...

Maybe I like the "honwaka fun'iki ほんわか雰囲気" movies .....movies that gives you a peaceful feeling..

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.21.2005, 02:30 PM.

05.21.2005, 02:19 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi
i have the impression of Mr.Takahata who makes a movie on social issues seriously.
but, i notice that there are a lot of works that has described daily life of ordinary people when recalling once more. Panda Kopanda, Jarinko Chie(Chie the Brat), Gauche, Omohide, Yamada ...
the impression of "Grave of the Fireflies" and "Yanagawa" is too heavy and i mistake a tendency his works.

Me too. I have not seen Chie and Gauche, and am very interested in them.

You have watched Yanagawa . Bravo! I always thought that it would be the kind of bore-you-to-death documentary that no one would touch with a nine-foot pole. So how is it really like? Is it good?

quote:
i think that, in recent years, Mr.Miyazaki requests a natural performance of the film character like Mr.Takahata leaving aside the ideology of the movie. Mr.Miyazaki was aged?

I don't think ideologies and natural character performance are mutually exclusive. The earlier Miyazaki classics excel in both. But well, he is always much better qualified than us in seeing the matter of film production, and there must be a reason behind his decision.

Hehe there can be many aspects of "aged" . The biological aspect is for certain as no one can revert time. Another aged aspects of the director, in my opinion, is his creativity. Miyazaki always managed to surprise us with new ideas and elements back in the past. But for the most recent "Howl's," there is little innovative inventions.

quote:
of course, i like all Miyazaki works.
also, I like Omohide(Excluding the child age), Hols, and Panda.

LOL it's interesting to like just a part of a movie .

quote:
Originally posted by Neko Danshaku =^^=
This movie is what I like... and what i like means i don't get bore if i watch it even 5 times in a row.. sorted by years...

火垂るの墓/Grave of Fireflies
魔女の宅急便/Kiki's Delivery Service
おもひでぽろぽろ/Only Yesterday
海がきこえる/Ocean Waves
耳をすませば/Whisper of The Heart
猫の恩返し/The Cat Returns

Very interesting. So far you are the only Ghibli fan I know that include only one Miyazaki title in the top-5 list .

And I have to say it is quite an accomplishment to be able to stand through 5 consecutive showings of Hotaru. For me, I would either cry to death or be bored to death (so tired that my eyes would be filled with tears, and people would misunderstand that I was depressed )

quote:
Maybe I like the "honwaka fun'iki ほんわか雰囲気" movies .....movies that gives you a peaceful feeling..

My interest is quite similar to yours, with Kiki as my top favourite and Totoro as the second. Somehow I think this kind of movie has a higher degree of "reviewability." Even if having seen them for many times, you cannot easily get bored. Also, despite of their relatively simple storyline, they have a higher "add-value" effect. You tend to pick up new things everytime you see them again.

05.21.2005, 03:10 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
it would be the kind of bore-you-to-death documentary that no one would touch with a nine-foot pole.

thats right! it bored me to death.
he has followed the activity with dispassionately. it has a logical development(introduction, development and conclusion), because it is a documentary. but, there is no sensational direction. his seriousness appears in such a thing. and, it has the nearby length of threeee hourszzz...
its a good quality work if you see it as a documentary. it looks like the program of BBC(UK) or the program of NHK(JP).

Chie is a good work it has laughter, and has tears. i recommend it. please see it when you have a chance. i worry about the subs and the dubs. its nearer Yamada-kun and Pompoco than Hotaru. its not more dynamic than Pompoco.
after all, the cats is occupying an important role(Kotetsu, Antonio, and AntonioJr.).

technology of animation is perfect. Otuka Yasuo and Kotabe Youichi are appointed to the chief animator, and staff who consists of Telecom-Animation where the highest animator exists at that time, is gathered.

05.21.2005, 07:09 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
thats right! it bored me to death.
he has followed the activity with dispassionately. it has a logical development(introduction, development and conclusion), because it is a documentary. but, there is no sensational direction. his seriousness appears in such a thing. and, it has the nearby length of threeee hourszzz...
its a good quality work if you see it as a documentary. it looks like the program of BBC(UK) or the program of NHK(JP).

I do not mind documentaries. In fact I do like "Walking with Dinosaurs" (I even have the DVDs!) of BBC and the Discovery Channel/National Geographic ones about Egyptian history or modern technology. But a 3-hour Ghibli-produced documentary about one single canal that I have never heard of elsewhere? Sorry, I would rather like to see a three-hour version of Mononoke Hime or Spirited Away.

quote:
Chie is a good work it has laughter, and has tears. i recommend it. please see it when you have a chance. i worry about the subs and the dubs.

Thanks for your recommendation . I would also like to see it. A pity that it is completely inaccessible here so even the matter of sub/dub is out of the question . Well, some day I will go to Japan... Some day...

05.22.2005, 03:55 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Very interesting. So far you are the only Ghibli fan I know that include only one Miyazaki title in the top-5 list . (Jiji)
Well I like Miyazaki's too... but it get me bore to play the whole movie again... so I just skip n skip to the interesting part for me.... and there's so many interesting parts and parted with uninteresting parts

And I have to say it is quite an accomplishment to be able to stand through 5 consecutive showings of Hotaru. For me, I would either cry to death or be bored to death (so tired that my eyes would be filled with tears, and people would misunderstand that I was depressed ) (Jiji)
I just felt sad when the first time I watched the movie... but then... no sad.... I just like the nuance... sometimes it's like I hear nearby neighbourhood than a movie.... so it can fill my days beside of musics I just love to only hear the dialogue actually (I can enjoy Studio Ghibli's movie even it just dialogue... I guess I'm the strangest Ghibli's fan here )... (I write this with hearing "Umi ga kikoeru" again already rolling 2 times with sometimes (quite often) watching it)

Me too. I have not seen Chie and Gauche, and am very interested in them. (Jiji)
I'm interested too... until now I just watched the famous movies since it's available here.... what I haven't watch yet is...

Any Pre-Ghibli's except Nausicaa...
Any Ghibli's TV Spots
Ghiblies 1 & 2 (my Neko no Ongaeshi DVD doesn't include it)
Yamada-kun
Howl
On Your Mark

I got Lupin Caliostro in a DVD set but not yet watched it.... Indonesia is very good in distributing fansubs... but I wonder why those movie aren't available... perhaps no demands for it

I do not mind documentaries. (Jiji)
And so do I... I like documentary about contemporary cultures...

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 05.22.2005, 02:45 PM.

05.22.2005, 02:23 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Well I like Miyazaki's too... but it get me bore to play the whole movie again... so I just skip n skip to the interesting part for me.... and there's so many interesting parts and parted with uninteresting parts ...
I just love to only hear the dialogue actually (I can enjoy Studio Ghibli's movie even it just dialogue... I guess I'm the strangest Ghibli's fan here )... (I write this with hearing "Umi ga kikoeru" again already rolling 2 times with sometimes (quite often) watching it)

(0.o) A really weird way of seeing a movie... I wonder if you would record the audio into mp3 and listen to it with an mp3 player when you are out? (I did it for once )

quote:
I just felt sad when the first time I watched the movie... but then... no sad.... I just like the nuance... sometimes it's like I hear nearby neighbourhood than a movie.... so it can fill my days beside of musics

Takahata movies bore me a great deal for most of the times. You see, my eyes were filled with tear when I was seeing Only Yesterday. No, not the tears of emotion, but the tears of tiredness. I tried my best to stand through the whole movie, but eventually collapsed when there were about 10-15 min left.

Grave is quite sad, but actually I have never cried for it. Nevertheless, after seeing it for a few more times, my sadness has superseded by my boredom. Perhaps I am now immuned from its tear-jerking effects. But as for the next time I see it, I am not sure if I will end up in the same way as my last viewing of Only Yesterday.

To me, quite a few Ghibli works have the "add-value" effect at repeated viewings. They include Kiki, Totoro, Laputa, Porco, Neko, and On Your Mark (a completely different experience at the 2nd viewing). Though Spirted Away is my 2nd/3rd favourite, frankly, it seems to be not as magical and stunning as the first viewing when you have seen it for a few times. It is also a pity that no Takahata work has the "upgrading" effect.

quote:
I'm interested too... until now I just watched the famous movies since it's available here.... what I haven't watch yet is...

What I haven't seen are Sherlock Holmes, Chie, Gauche and Hols.

05.24.2005, 12:53 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

i think that you are bored with Gauche, Hols. maybe..
but, as for an opening scene of the Hols, it is worth seeing. there is wonderful "animation" on the scene of fight of Hols with wolves.

if you like Laputa, you might like Holmes.
the episode that i recommend is
# 5 Aoi Kougyoku : "The Blue Carbuncle"
# 9 Kaitei no Zaihou : "Treasure Under the Sea"
and
#4 Mrs.Hudson Hitojichi Jiken : "The Abduction of Mrs. Hudson"
you will become crazy about charming Mrs.Hudson, too.

05.24.2005, 11:34 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
i think that you are bored with Gauche, Hols. maybe..
but, as for an opening scene of the Hols, it is worth seeing. there is wonderful "animation" on the scene of fight of Hols with wolves.

I still can't understand why I don't feel bored with the slow pace when I watch Kiki. It is exactly the type that I should have no interest in . Anyway if Gauche is a movie of unexciting personal affairs like Kiki, Whisper or Only Yesterday, it may:
- move (bore) me to tears (added into my special "tear-jerking" list, along with Only Yesterday)
- haunt (bore) me to death (Sadako in disguise!!)
- hypnotize me to unconsciousness (another nice cure for insomnia)
- become one of my top favourites (Aww! Kiki in danger?)

For Hols, it sounds like a Nausicaa-esque or Laputa-esque movie. Probably I will enjoy it a lot. (But have no idea of where to get it )

quote:
if you like Laputa, you might like Holmes.
and

Thanks for your receommendation. As far as I know, these few episodes were directed by Miyazaki, aren't they? But they are as inaccessible as Hols...

Btw talking about my likes and dislikes, I think I should provide my list of preference. So what are your lists?

Note:
0: indifferent
>0: like
<0: dislike

Tier 5: Kiki
Tier 4: Totoro, Spirited Away, On Your Mark
Tier 3: Laputa, Cagliostro
Tier 2: Porco, Nausicaa, Mononoke, Neko, Panda, Conan
Tier 1: Howl, Ghiblies 2
Tier 0: Yamada, Pompoko, Ghiblies 1
Tier -1: Whisper, Grave
Tier -2: Ocean Waves, Only Yesterday

?????: Chie, Gauche, Holmes

(The list is always subject to change, due to my mood, state of mind, etc. About 10 years ago, Laputa was at the top and Kiki was in a much lower position the list )

05.24.2005, 07:11 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
quote:
Originally posted by nanashi if you like Laputa, you might like Holmes.
and

Thanks for your receommendation. As far as I know, these few episodes were directed by Miyazaki, aren't they? But they are as inaccessible as Hols...

In the US, where I live, it's quite easy to get the complete Sherlock Hound series on DVD:
Sherlock Hound Case File 1: http://shop.fye.com/product.aspx?sku=40163669&loc=50244
Case File 2: http://shop.fye.com/product.aspx?sku=40164967&loc=50244
Case File 3: http://shop.fye.com/product.aspx?sku=40167804&loc=50244
Case File 4: http://shop.fye.com/product.aspx?sku=40170312&loc=50244
Case File 5: http://shop.fye.com/product.aspx?sku=40172574&loc=50244
Case File 6: http://shop.fye.com/product.aspx?sku=40174648&loc=50244
Best Wishes,
--Konan--

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

05.24.2005, 08:06 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Any Pre-Ghibli's except Nausicaa...
Any Ghibli's TV Spots
Ghiblies 1 & 2 (my Neko no Ongaeshi DVD doesn't include it)
Yamada-kun
Howl
On Your Mark

I can email you a DIVX file of Howl's Moving Castle, English-subtitled, if you'd like. You know, you can download On Your Mark from the main Online Ghibli site.
Best Wishes,
--Konan--

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

05.24.2005, 08:11 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Originally posted by Konan
In the US, where I live, it's quite easy to get the complete Sherlock Hound series on DVD:

Thank you very much for the advice. However I am not in US . Maybe I should watch out the stores that sell imported R1 DVDs.

05.24.2005, 08:21 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, I only have one Takahata movie in my Miyazaki/Ghibli collection, and that is Hotaru no Haka...

From what I've read, he does seem to like making realistic stories about people's lives and society. Let's hope they really release "My Neighbors the Yamadas" and "Pom Poko" later this year, so we'll be able to see more of his work.

05.25.2005, 02:18 PM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

------------------------------------------------------------
I can email you a DIVX file of Howl's Moving Castle, English-subtitled, if you'd like. You know, you can download On Your Mark from the main Online Ghibli site. (Konan)
------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately... none of my e-mail address exceed 100 Megs .... but thanks for your offer... Howl is a new movie... I think its chance to be distributed here is fairly big.... btw thanks for informed me that OYM is in OG site...

Best wishes too,
Neko Danshaku =^^=

05.28.2005, 11:20 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks