QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Club
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Anime Club » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Anime ClubPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Should we resurrect it?

Having recently watched "Welcome to the NHK" I realised what a great subject for an Anime Club thread that would have been.

Who wouild be interested in selecting a TV series (maximum 24 eps) or OVA to watch and discuss?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.02.2011, 12:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wasn't in the anime club last time you guys had one, but I would love to join if there was another one.

05.02.2011, 08:19 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I think it died just before or just after I came here. Sounds like fun, though. So long as we're given a decent amount of time to watch each episode. ^^

05.02.2011, 08:23 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think before we might have tried to do 2 eps a week. IIRC that worked okay.

Thing was the first time round someone suggested what turned out to be a huge 52-ep series and second time around the choice was 12 eps but... extremely weird, and almost no-one bothered to watch it!

Choosing a good series is the key to success, but it needs to be one that most members haven't seen.

For the record I don't enjoy watching magical girls, mechas or martial arts.

I do like high school settings, sci-fi, romance, puzzles, historical drama, slice of life and "weird mind games" series like Lain, Paranoia Agent and FLCL. There's probably other favourites I have but the 3 dislikes are pretty solid and I wouldn't enjoy, for example, Sailor Moon or anything like that

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.02.2011, 09:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Full Moon wo Sagashite, followed by Paranoia Agent I think, or was it Fooly Cooly?

Anyway, I think we need to find a good series first. And whether we want to watch new stuff and encourage leeching, or an older licensed show and risk spoilers.

I like Lucky Star, btw Or maybe spread a little haruhiism? There's a new cute horror series that just ended that's excellent too.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.03.2011, 07:39 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Full Moon wo Sagashite, followed by Paranoia Agent I think, or was it Fooly Cooly?

Pretty sure it was Boogiepop Phantom.

Anyway, I might be up for this, since I've been watching anime more often lately anyway.

05.03.2011, 08:31 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A new series that's just being released and is getting rave reviews might be a good idea, so its fresh to all of us.

Anything here grab anyone's attention?

http://www.animeph.com/spring-2011-new-a...on-preview-list

Saw this and chuckled...

"Maria Holic 2:

Second season of Kanko’s hilarious struggle to enjoy her highschool life. She is a lesbian girl visiting an academy for girls, while her life is made difficult by the evil but beautiful cross-dressing boy Maria."

Of the ones in that list those that stood out for me were:

Stein's Gate
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
Hana-Saku Iroha
Maria Holic 2 (it sounds crazy and fanservicey but could be funny)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.03.2011, 09:02 AM.

05.03.2011, 08:52 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh, I wanna join in.

I saw a bit of Maria Holic. It was pretty alright. I don't see the sense in watching Maria Holic 2 though when, I'm guessing, most of us haven't seen the first season.

Steins;Gate does look potentially good, and also Hana-Saku Iroha. Maybe Ao no Exorcist, maybe Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream.

My Anime List

05.03.2011, 01:17 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Of those, I've heard pretty good things about Steins;Gate and Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko. Also, the latter is apparently only 12 episodes, so length wouldn't be an issue. I hear Nichijou is bizarre comedy in the style of Azumanga Daioh, and I think A Channel may be similar.

I'm not really up for straight-up slice of life. But then Steins;Gate and Denpa Onna sound like they might be too weird for some people. So I don't know.

05.03.2011, 01:40 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Steins Gate seems a possible then, perhaps Hana-Saku Iroha which although slice of life looks like it might be a fairly non-average slice.

Hopefully Roar will drop by and add some helpful suggestions.

05.03.2011, 01:49 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Eh? Haven't seen much new stuff besides what i mentioned in the main anime thread. Been watching mostly older stuff actually.

Maybe I'll check out the titles suggested. Me like weird or funny tho

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.05.2011, 07:38 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd definitely be interested! I haven't watched an anime in ages, purely manga, but that's simply because I haven't been sure what new ones are out yet and whatever, this would be fun

05.05.2011, 11:07 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Well, as it got the most mentions, shall we try Stein's gate?

05.05.2011, 11:41 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds like a good idea to me. (:

My Anime List

05.05.2011, 03:19 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I had a look and it's interesting. Plus, there are good reviews. ^^

05.05.2011, 07:11 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Well that's good then! As long as it hasn't been slated!

Shall we set a date to discuss ep1... how about... um... Monday 9th May?

05.05.2011, 07:34 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Sounds good.

Has anyone seen Chaos;head? Apparently it's loosely linked to Steins;gate.

And I just looked at that list you linked to, Saddles. xD Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai looks interesting. I might watch it on my own.

And Hana-Saku Iroha...makes me think of this other anime for some inexplicable reason! I can't remember the name...this woman is transformed into a little girl. And there may be a shot of train tracks in the op/ending. =_=

Post last edited by fenkashi on 05.05.2011, 08:08 PM.

05.05.2011, 08:07 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Midori no hibi? If that's what you mean by 'little'.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.06.2011, 02:11 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

No...by little I meant she was 20something and then she became an elementary school kid (only physically, I think).

05.06.2011, 05:11 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yes, a few on that list looked interesting. Looks like I'll have enough new anime to watch for a while.

If anyone needs help finding a Steins Gate download I went here:

http://www.animetake.com/anime/steinsgate/

I got the HorribleSubs version because I've watched lots of their work and they're good and reliable. For Fansubs I tend to watch Horrible, CoalGuys or Ani-Kraze, all do an excellent job, far superior to most professional subtitles.

05.06.2011, 06:27 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks