QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Club
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Anime Club » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haven't seen ep14 yet.

But I've watched up to ep10 of Chaos;Head though. It's nearing the end, but seriously feels like an out-of-place fantasy series. Like, you know, King Arthur given a 21st century setting kinda feeling. Very out of place.

Wasn't haremy, as it turns out, but still rather confusing. Hopefully the next few would bring up some good stuff.

As to our dear Okabe Rintarou, after watching ep13, I'm starting to really like his character. He has the normal paranoid reaction and all, yet the way his acts is very methodical. His past history explain a little, but I believe his nature is what is allowing him to keep overcoming these obstacles.

Gotta pity Mayuri though, the poor poor girl. Such is the fragility of life.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.06.2011, 12:08 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HUGE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN UP TO EP.14 YET!

(Also did we ever have spoiler tags on this forum? Can't find them now.)

Oh my word... just watched 12, 13 and 14 in one sitting.

This is good. This is really good! I feel exhausted after that, the story has really shifted in direction and mood from when it started. Okabe's existence there was like Groundhog Day only much worse.

But I was right. The crashed satellite was the time machine and the part-timer was the girl we saw on the roof in the first episode.

The awful thing is though, I have a bad feeling where this is going now. Mayuri will survive but Kurisu dies on this time line...

I'm still puzzling over how the part-timer knows Kurisu and I think there's going to be some other connection between them. Both of them have confessed to being estranged from their fathers and are now no longer able to contact them and in both cases Okabe offered to help the girls find him. I just have this idea that similarity is important, yet they can't be the same person.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.06.2011, 08:07 PM.

07.06.2011, 08:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay! I watched episode 15. There wasn't so much excitement in this episode, but I like that they haven't just ditched the fun atmosphere that the series had at the start. Also we learn some more about John Titor-chan's past... uh... future. So it wasn't an unimportant episode by any means.

And I liked the Engrish. That rarely fails to amuse me.

07.13.2011, 06:40 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I watched the last two episodes as soon as they were available. Just watched 17 now, and it was particularly good.

07.26.2011, 06:04 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, 17 is out?

Ep 16 was wacky, poor Daru. I gotta say though, the departure of Amane was kinda sad, even if she got a good ending. Here's to hoping she'll come back in the near future.

Kinda wondering about this, but isn't there a way to control when Okabe reawakens from a D-mail? That would, like, solve most of their problems.

EDIT: Watched ep17. Story behind Feyris was obvious from the start, but it's kinda weird to know that there's another person with Reading Steiner, which would imply that there are others like him.

And yet another kick to myself, though I could be forgiven. I thought Kurisu's solution was an impossibility, given the frequency of time leaps, and the fact that it may not only NOT reset the original line but make it worse, since there's no guarantee that it would actually work.

Anyway, since I doubt there's no longer a need for spoiler tags anymore...

... here's the remaining D-mails needed to be reversed, according to her.

-Urushibara Ruka's sex change
-Kiryuu's new phone
-Lotto-6

There are a few others I remember, like Daru's attempt to win the Rai-Net tourney, but that failed so, yeah.

So, wanna discuss on how reversing these are going to be possible, and the effects?

[Armchair Theory Alert]

Personally, I think Ruka's case and Kiryuu's case are the only ones that needs to be changed. In Ruka's case, it resulted in the lab members being reacquainted with Kiryuu, where she was initially not introduced.

Working in a forward-based timeline (because the reverse is just too confusing), I suspect that what Kiryuu did was to inform herself or "FB", whoever that is, about the founding of the computer. According to ep9, the computer went missing right after it was donated.

Either it was stolen by SERN, or by someone else. If it was by SERN, we can assume that Kiryuu never went to the lab because she never needed to; SERN already had all the info they needed. Otherwise, SERN was hunting for it, and may or may not have gotten their hands on it.

The time when the computer went missing is still unknown, as two D-mails were sent before its loss was discovered. So any one of the mails could have caused its disappearence.

Somehow I doubt Ruka's sex change had any real impact, although why it resulted in Kiryuu's return is a major mystery. And it doesn't really matter; somehow I don't see how reversing this mail is a problem.

That leaves Kiryuu.

Now at this point, Okabe already knows who Kiryuu is and especially who is behind her. Getting her to reveal her truth would seem a near impossibility.

In my opinion, both mail can be negated if he simply sent a D-mail back to himself and prevent himself from allowing Kiryuu from sending the D-mail, or even from telling her anything about the machine. Since Ruka only knew about it via Kurisu's outburst which she overheard their experiment, it would be safe to say that both events can be negated in this way.

Doubt the Lotto-6 is of any importance.

So that leaves the initial crash of the time machine. But that one's too big a spoiler, and let's just wait and see Okabe's solution, ya?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.27.2011, 02:47 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've watched up to ep17 now and while I can follow part of what you're saying, Roar, most of it is goingwaaay over my head. I've more or less given up trying to understand this story and I'm just letting the fun and emotion wash over me. It sure is an emotional roller coaster though.

I'm glad we watched this anime, its one of the best ones I've seen in a long, long time.

I onder who Suzuya's mother was? It has to be a character we know. I'm wondering if it's Mayushii.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.02.2011, 06:38 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I've watched up to ep20 now. I assume there's a total of 24eps in this but I've no idea.

18-19-20 go from comedic light nonesense like we saw in the first few episodes through extreme tear-jerker stuff and then on to pretty dark themes. Sure is a roller-coaster ride.

08.19.2011, 11:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Finished the show, though I don't know if Arren can post on here now - it looks like he still can't. Haven't seen Roarkiller for weeks either.

Anyway, apart from being a bit slow and a bit repetitive at times (shades of "Endless Eight" in some episodes) and also apart from a little too much wailing, yelling, crying and angst like too much anime tends to have, I have enjoyed this show very much.

I think 24 eps was a bit too long but 13 would have been too short. I do recommend it and while the final plot twist is obvious and no surprise when it happens, some questions like who is whose mother at the end are left unsaid which is nice.

10.26.2011, 02:58 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, so I finished the series some time ago now.

On the whole I thought it was good. However, around episode 19 or so I grew a bit tired of the serious, moody tone, and realised that it had pretty much lost the lightheartedness that made me like it so much in the first place. I think when things turned serious, I initially got caught up in the excitement and drama of it, but looking back, I sort of wish it hadn't gone down that route. The fun side did appear a little bit towards the end, which was nice, but I still felt a bit sad that it had lost that special appeal. At the moment, it's one of the series my anime club is showing, and I'm really enjoying seeing the early episodes again, but I think my interest will wane fairly soon.

Anyway, I hate to sound whiny, as there's a lot to Steins;Gate that made it great! I liked the characters throughout - though I was a bit annoyed with Okarin at points later on - and the whole thing had a good style to it. I'm glad I watched it.

10.27.2011, 08:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

So if Daru was Suzuha's father, who do you think her mother might have been?

Its interesting to get your take on the switch between comedy/lite and drama/dark. I was becoming a bit frustrated with the comedic phase to be honest and when the darkness began I thought it was a good shift since the kinds of subjects being treated were darker problems.

What bothered me was the repetitive nature of some of the content and some of the emo/angst stuff that was being hurled about. It was those elements that I noticed most and not the loss of the lighter scenes.

I also struggled to make sense of some of the time travel mumbo-jumbo on occasion and had to just give up and let the story flow over me without making an attempt to follow it at some points.

Its still a series I'd recommend.

10.28.2011, 06:23 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
alacratstore
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.02.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by alacratstore Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Agree with you Saddletank!! Here is now the good opportunity to get some new amine to watch and enjoy. I will be using the link to download Steins Gate. Thanks.

10.02.2012, 07:36 AM alacratstore is offline   Profile for alacratstore Add alacratstore to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Opening discussions to start reviewing another series. We currently have 3 suggestions:

1) Now and Then, Here and There - 13 episodes.
2) Aku no Hana - 13 episodes.
3) Mushi-shi - Season 2 - First Part - 13 episodes.

There's 2 criteria:

1) Must be short so we have an easily achievable goal. 12/13 eps or shorter is preferred
2) Must not fall into the category of "the sort of mindless "entertainment" that almost certainly makes up 99% of the current season." (per Orphic Okapi!). A series that is older and has a reputation of being good or different is our target.

Please vote for the above giving your 1st choice 3 points, your second 2 and your 3rd, one.

Or suggest another series.

EDIT: I have 3 more suggestions:

4) Another - 12 eps.
5) Chaos;Head - 12 eps.
6) Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - 11 eps.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.25.2014, 04:36 PM.

05.25.2014, 04:27 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have Aku no Hana...

05.25.2014, 07:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Definitely NO on Chaos;Head.

But I'd sure rewatch Another, just because the story is just that awesome.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.25.2014, 11:46 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Is Chaos;Head that bad? Or is it just unsuitable for our discussions?

05.26.2014, 06:42 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well I can't remember the story other than the character being a part-time neet, so I'd have to go with the former Just my opinion though. I remember watching the series to be somewhat of a chore, so there ya go.

Another, though... there's no deep storyline, but it's like watching a long tense horror show where people die but there's no actual culprit, and there's no clues like a whodunnit series, so there's this sense of helplessness throughout the series. If I had to give a parallel, it's like watching Final Destination that got made into a series.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.26.2014, 09:12 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd happily join in with Mushi-shi. I've read so much of the manga of Aku no Hana that the difference in style of the anime puts me off slightly. I also just find it kind of an uncomfortable plot ahaha.

05.26.2014, 09:21 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I think Aku no Hana's plot has been done in several similar anime, its just that this time its done very seriously and darkly.

We seem to be narrowing it down:

1) Mushi-shi 2 - 12 eps
2) Another - 12 eps (hm, doesn't sound that satisfying)
3) Now and Then, Here and There - 13 eps
4) Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - 11 eps

Any more suggestions?

05.26.2014, 09:55 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Mushishi actually sounds awesome in the medical sense. I wonder if any of them are actually medically logical. I remember in the first season there was this one mushi that goes into your ear and makes you deaf, where the cure was to pour salt water in it. Pouring salt water into your ear is actually a widely used manner of cleaning your ears, so it was pretty cool to see something so everyday-like.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.26.2014, 11:40 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd definitely watch Mushishi. Would rewatch Now and Then, and Tokyo Magnitude. Would definitely not rewatch Another though.

05.27.2014, 01:36 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks