QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - If Walt Disney met Hayao Miyazaki...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions If Walt Disney met Hayao Miyazaki... Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  If Walt Disney met Hayao Miyazaki...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What do you think that Walt Disney, if he were alive today, would think of Hayao Miyazaki and his movies?

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

06.07.2005, 09:06 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.02.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LillyKimilly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

'What an amazing imagination this man has! If only I knew him when I was alive! I am ashamed that the people who have taken over my company has cheapened it to a money greedy monster instead of a place where imagination can flourish and a wonderful source of entertainment (the old disneys were the best)!!!!! I am happy that this man however is true to his imagination and entertains children and adults alike! I am sad that my company will not dub all of his works as it would be beneficial to both companies in terms of money and our audiences entertainment.
Infact I leave my company to the Ghibli company they may do with it as they choose and hopefully make many movies with our resources.'

Hmmmm not quite....maybe he would get on his knees while saying it................. Disney was amazing like Miyazaki. I guess without Mr Disney we wouldnt have this amazing animation we have today.............

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06.08.2005, 10:06 AM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Walt Disney is a humble person.... I think if he alive today, he can learn to Japanese storytelling into his own work but I seriously hope I live in a parallel world like that...

He might put a perspective to American and worldwide perspective about 24fps and basic-entertaining animation.... but I don't think he dislike Japanese way of thinking... I don't think also that he would like to copy Japanese anime technical.... but for its storytelling.. it's a different story.

Anyway like Lilly said... Mr. Disney was a great influence to Japan incl. Mr. Miyazaki... eventhough some of his theory doesn't fit Japanese animation... both are masters of manual animation art!

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 06.08.2005, 12:07 PM.

06.08.2005, 12:05 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
biker_brat
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.05.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by biker_brat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that Mr. Disney would really admire Miyazaki's work and possibly use it as an influence today. However, they are both different people (personality). For example: Walt Disney would never hire a woman whereas Miyazaki is a feminist and many of the workers at Ghibli are women. Disney also would never hire someone of a different colour skin while Miyazaki has not only Japanese people working for him. It is to my understanding, however, that Disney was a very heavy drinker. I think that Miyazaki also shares this trait .

06.08.2005, 06:45 PM biker_brat is offline   Profile for biker_brat Add biker_brat to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hehe many interesting views in this thread . IMO if Walt Dinsey still survived, he would probably be too old (>100 yr-old) to care about his own company or the works of an overseas animation studio that he had never heard of.

But if Disney himself lived in his own fantasy world where people can be young again with a swing of a magic wand, and can go to anywhere on earth with a single spell, I think he would be quite interested in the Miyazaki works. Actually, Disney's attitude towards animation-making is similar to that of Miyazaki in a certain extent. When producing Bambi, the staff took many months to observe the movements and the habits of the deers (while Miyazaki observed the dress of the girls when making Kiki ). Both of them also had no hesitation in throwing away completed drawings if they do not meet their inner standards (the case of Pinnochio and Totoro).

I am sure that Disney would be very interested in, or possibly even be admired of the Miyazaki trademark of high attention to details, skillful storytelling techniques, and though-provoking messages and plots. With a common interest and goal in making better animated movies, the two may even develop personal frienship, like the case of Miyazaki and Pixar's Lasseter.

06.08.2005, 06:58 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
starhawk
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.20.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

H Disney was amazing like Miyazaki. I guess without Mr Disney we wouldnt have this amazing animation we have today.....

...and hopefully in the future Studio Ghibli will still be amazing without Miyazaki.

Post last edited by starhawk on 06.08.2005, 07:00 PM.

06.08.2005, 06:59 PM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.02.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LillyKimilly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aye!!!

Tho this worries me now.....

When Disney died :-( he left the company to his nephew or son i think.... anyway he soon left cos he detested what the chairman was doing to the company......since then Disney has plumeted down hill like a rock!!!! I think that is what happened anyway............

.............but im sure Ghibli will still be amazing as they have done other good films that wernt written by Miyazaki...............

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06.09.2005, 12:04 PM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
starhawk
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.20.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by LillyKimilly

.............but im sure Ghibli will still be amazing as they have done other good films that wernt written by Miyazaki...............

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So has Disney.
Sure, they may currently be falling in a deep, dark crack of hell that they may never find their way out of, but Disney survived long after Walt died. They could survive much longer, if they acquire some standards and do something with quality.

Dreamworks and Warner try to fill the holes, but on the whole, it's true that American animation sucks (with the exception of Pixar). But I don't think I'd give a description much different for Japanese animation....

Post last edited by starhawk on 06.09.2005, 12:23 PM.

06.09.2005, 12:22 PM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

there is studio to which Mr.Miyazaki has belonged at one
time. the studio is Telecom Animation Film.(you know?)
Telecom had produced the splendid animatioin work in the times when he has belonged. but now....

**Telecom Animation Film produced....
castle of Cagliostro, Chie the brat (movie), Sherlock Hound, little Nimo, LupinIII(TV #72,#77,#82,#84,#99,#105,#143,#145,#151,#153,#155)

06.10.2005, 07:22 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

According to some sources Yoshifumi Kondou (director of Whisper) was the de facto successor of Miyazaki and Takahata. If he did not pass away, Miyazaki could have retired back in 1997. Now the studio have difficulties in finding capable directors as leaders. Producer Suzuki said in an interview that young people have no interest in the field of anime industry, in which workers are poorly paid but have heavy workload. Nevertheless, young Hiroyuki Morita of Ghibli was still able to bring us the quite accomplished work of The Cat Returns. I am sure there are many like him in Ghibli, and will be able to take up the torch of Ghibli flame (and fame) when time is ripe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently there is an article on Disney, Pixar and Ghibli. A part of it is somehow related to this thread.

quote:
But if there's one common ground the two animation masters could be said to have shared, it's a deep and abiding passion for their craft, and a sincere desire to delight their audiences -- adults and children alike.

And if Walt were alive, one could imagine he'd issue every Disney executive a mandatory pass to PFA's Ghibli retrospective to watch the poignant honesty of Takahata's World War II drama "Grave of the Fireflies," to embrace the enchanting innocence of Miyazaki's odes to childhood, "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Kiki's Delivery Service," to soar with Miyazaki's whimsical flying ace, the Crimson Pig, in "Porco Rosso," and to gambol with Takahata's shape-changing raccoon-bears of "Pom Poko." To experience the fun and wonder that make animation the most powerful tool for reaching the child in every adult, and the adult in every child -- and to sing a silly symphony of wows and chuckles, conducted by the greatest living maestros of the form.

To see the full article you can check this link:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg.../06/09/ghib.DTL

Post last edited by Jiji on 06.11.2005, 01:07 PM.

06.10.2005, 06:34 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks