QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Does Arriety mean that Miyazaki and Takahata are retiring?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Does Arriety mean that Miyazaki and Takahata are retiring? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Does Arriety mean that Miyazaki and Takahata are retiring?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Arrietty last weekend, and believe me, it was awsome. It was probably the best Ghibli movie since Spirited away, in my opinion. I was just thinking if the fact that Ghibli has made a great movie where the director in neither Miya-san or Takahata-san indicates that they might be retiring soon. I mean, it wasn't possible for them to retire earlier, because they had no successors, but now that both Arrietty and Goro Miyazakis From up on Poppy hill have gotten good reviews, Ghibli has younger directors that can handle the studio. I really don't want this to happen, but let's face it, Miya-san is 70 years old and Paku-san 76. Do you think Arriety's success means that the founders of Ghibli will retire soon?

11.08.2011, 06:14 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, I think they both will be retiring very soon. But luckily for us, each of them still have on film planned before that happens.

It's difficult for me to imagine the future of Studio Ghibli without Miyazaki or Takahata there. What will happen? Will the quality of Ghibli's films drop severely? I sure hope not! But lets face it: Miyazaki did a lot in the production of the Arrietty. With him completely out of the picture, all I can think of is Tales from Earthsea!

11.08.2011, 10:42 AM  
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by zacharykrodel
Yes, I think they both will be retiring very soon. But luckily for us, each of them still have on film planned before that happens.

It's difficult for me to imagine the future of Studio Ghibli without Miyazaki or Takahata there. What will happen? Will the quality of Ghibli's films drop severely? I sure hope not! But lets face it: Miyazaki did a lot in the production of the Arrietty. With him completely out of the picture, all I can think of is Tales from Earthsea!

Have you seen Arriety already? Even though Miya-san did a lot in the production, it's still very different from his films. It's difficault for me too to see a Studio Ghibli without Miyazaki and Takahata, but for me it seems that for the first time since Kondo (the director of Whisper of the heart) died they actually have someone to leave Ghibli to

11.09.2011, 05:42 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is inevitable that they will soon retire whether in 2 years or 10 years, but i do think that the films they are said to be making could be there last, you know that famous saying 'Going out with a bang'.

I do hope if they do retire it will be left in good hands with artists that if not now will soon match there quality and brilliance.

I also wish that there last film will be one hell of a good one that will do them justice and hope it does not end there legacy on bad terms.

They started together so it would make sense to finish together, they are such good freinds I don't think either one would want to work there with out the other.

11.09.2011, 09:57 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Darrius Sebastian
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.24.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Darrius Sebastian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Honestly, it is always hard to see great people retire, but in a way it is good, I mean, they have given us such epic cinematic adventures to remember them by, that they deserve to retire...with their heads held high.

12.01.2011, 02:59 PM Darrius Sebastian is offline   Profile for Darrius Sebastian Add Darrius Sebastian to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Change is good, but no Miyazaki or Takahata could never be a good thing Whenever i think about this i always think of how different things could have been if Yoshifumi Kondo had lived, we mightent have to be worrying about what happens after the two genius' are gone. At the same time, could you actually see them completely removing themselves from a thing that they built from scratch? They surely both have an emotional tie with Studio Ghibli that would make it impossible to just fully stop contributing to it. So even if the next film that each of them have planned is their 'last sortie' in a directorial sense, i still see them having an input into Ghibli until the day that its just not possible for them to do it anymore.

On top of that, 'From Up On Poppy Hill' by Goro is apparently very good (i havent seen it but i havent heard anything bad said about it) and to be fair, it took balls and confidence to make another film after the somewhat just criticism he got after Earthsea. On top of that, Yonebayashi did a good job on Arriety and he is still only 38, the same age Miyazaki was when he directed Lupin III. So in short, im optimistic about the future, regardless of how much longer Miya and Taka-san are involved.

Sorry about the monster post And welcome to the tavern by the way

Post last edited by captain george on 12.01.2011, 08:39 PM.

12.01.2011, 08:37 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Everything and everyone becomes old and some point, with new and exsperinced assets, or people to take their place.

Or though i don't know what Ghibli would be without miyazaki or takahata, It cant be to bad can it?

12.02.2011, 10:32 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
supertrf
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supertrf Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I think so.
U can try to watch a documentary called "ジブリ 創作のヒミツ 宮崎駿と新人監督 葛藤の400日" by NHK.
Then U can know more.

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!
I love Chinese culture, Japanese culture and USA culture!
And I think animation is my best enjoyment in which Miyazaki Hayao's movie is the best!

12.04.2011, 10:17 AM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
fairysorry
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.26.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fairysorry Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

how do you send mail to Studio Ghibli?

01.26.2012, 01:03 PM fairysorry is offline   Profile for fairysorry Add fairysorry to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, fairysorry...

I wanted to answer to let you know that someone saw your post, but, as I have never even thought about writing to the Studio itself, I am afraid that I don't know the answer to your question. Possibly there is a place in the Studio Ghibli webpage that contains this info or maybe one of the other members might know, good luck.

Again, welcome.

01.26.2012, 02:42 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Fan MailPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw this a few years ago, don't know if it is real or fake...
http://www.fanmail.biz/76840.html

01.27.2012, 09:09 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
jina445
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.05.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jina445 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think they will ever retire completely.
I'm sure they both will always be involved in Ghibli projects, they are dedicated to their work. I agree with captain george on this!

But what i'm really interested in, is Miyazaki's next. I have heard that he was working on a new film and i hope it is true!

i wish somebody knew more on this

02.05.2012, 01:19 PM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the tavern jina, keep posting, posting, posting, it has been a little quiet round here lately.
But I agree with you, I feel even if they announce they are retiring they will still have an input on projects.

Again welcome, it is always good to see new faces round here!!!

02.05.2012, 04:01 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
jina445
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jina445 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wikidkid101, thanks so much for the welcome!

I'm glad to be here, too!

02.06.2012, 04:20 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
Yisbay
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.01.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yisbay Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hope he retires, working at his age isn't healthy. The cartilidge in his hand must be in a pretty bad state at this point.

02.12.2012, 10:13 AM Yisbay is offline   Profile for Yisbay Add Yisbay to your buddy list
jina445
Kodama

for me Miyazaki doing another movie, makes me hope for a better future.

(i care about his health of course, but i'm sure he knows how to take care of himself.)

02.13.2012, 09:42 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by jina445
for me Miyazaki doing another movie, makes me hope for a better future.

(i care about his health of course, but i'm sure he knows how to take care of himself.)

I second this!!!!

02.13.2012, 10:15 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
JordanAmyLee
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.15.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by JordanAmyLee Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I hope not T^T
Imagine Studio Ghibli without Hayao Miyazaki! But then again, imagine how awesome his last ever film would be

02.15.2012, 10:17 PM JordanAmyLee is offline   Profile for JordanAmyLee Add JordanAmyLee to your buddy list
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  GoroPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought Hayao Miyazaki's son was going to take the reins when he retired? Or was that a rumor?

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

02.23.2012, 01:34 PM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, JordanAmyLee...

Hope that you enjoy it here...

02.23.2012, 02:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks