QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Have you been to the Ghibli Museum?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Have you been to the Ghibli Museum? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Umfrage: Have you been to the Ghibli Museum?
Yes, multiple times.
Yes, just once.
No, but i will go soon.
No, but i hope to go one day.
No, and i have no intention to go.
Results
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
torehogas
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.19.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by torehogas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
I read the blog, a very well written an interesting blog, thanks for sharing!

I'm wondering if many foreigners go there or if it is mainly just Japanese people?

Also is the gift shop expensive? Thanks.

Thanks, glad you liked it!

There are probably quite a few foreigners visiting the museum, and the staff speaks English (not a given in Japan), but it's still probably mainly Japanese visitors. Granted, I was there just before Christmas, so hardly tourist season, but I was the only non-Asian there.

Unfortunately, the gift shop is expensive. First of all, Japan/Tokyo is quite expensive, period. Second, although they had some little items that were not that expensive (stationary and such), all the cool stuff ranged from pretty expensive to insane. I mean, they had their own jewelry section with handmade jewelry, plus you could buy a huge model (I'd say about half a meter in diameter) of the town from Castle in the Sky, or even a handpainted cel from an actual film. Those items where over a 100 000 yen if I remember correctly. That's about 1300 US Dollars...! There were lots of things I wanted to buy, but could not afford.

Post last edited by torehogas on 01.19.2012, 10:57 PM.

01.19.2012, 10:54 PM torehogas is offline   Profile for torehogas Add torehogas to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Damn that's a shame the items are so expensive! Did u go to any other store that sells ghibli stuff a bit cheaper?

01.21.2012, 03:20 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Darrius Sebastian
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.24.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Darrius Sebastian Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by HataZaki
I've been! I went early last year during a trip to Japan. It was amazing obviously, if a little bit smaller than I was anticipating. Here are a few pictures, but it likely won't be anything you haven't seen before because as mentioned you can't take pictures inside.

The Ghibli Museum on a crisp winter's day:

WOW thats awesome. I would love to visit that place for sure, and the pics are great btw.

01.23.2012, 12:07 PM Darrius Sebastian is offline   Profile for Darrius Sebastian Add Darrius Sebastian to your buddy list
torehogas
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.19.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by torehogas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Damn that's a shame the items are so expensive! Did u go to any other store that sells ghibli stuff a bit cheaper?

No, I didn't, partly because the items they sell at the museum are unique and cannot be bought anywhere else and partly because they have some stores in Seoul, Korea (where I currently live) that have some Ghibli merchandise that is a bit more reasonable.

01.25.2012, 01:52 AM torehogas is offline   Profile for torehogas Add torehogas to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by torehogas
quote:

No, I didn't, partly because the items they sell at the museum are unique and cannot be bought anywhere else and partly because they have some stores in Seoul, Korea (where I currently live) that have some Ghibli merchandise that is a bit more reasonable.

Ah seriously! That's awesome! I might go back to Korea at the end of this year.

01.25.2012, 03:17 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
jina445
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.05.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jina445 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really want to visit this museum, especially after reading this :

A few words from executive director Hayao Miyazaki

This is the Kind of Museum I Want to Make!

A museum that is interesting and which relaxes the soul
A museum where much can be discovered
A museum based on a clear and consistent philosophy
A museum where those seeking enjoyment can enjoy, those seeking to ponder can ponder, and those seeking to feel can feel
A museum that makes you feel more enriched when you leave than when you entered!

To make such a museum, the building must be...
Put together as if it were a film
Not arrogant, magnificent, flamboyant, or suffocating
Quality space where people can feel at home, especially when it's not crowded
A building that has a warm feel and touch
A building where the breeze and sunlight can freely flow through

The museum must be run in such a way so that...
Small children are treated as if they were grown-ups
The handicapped are accommodated as much as possible
The staff can be confident and proud of their work
Visitors are not controlled with predetermined courses and fixed directions
It is suffused with ideas and new challenges so that the exhibits do not get dusty or old, and that investments are made to realize that goal

The displays will be...
Not only for the benefit of people who are already fans of Studio Ghibli
Not a procession of artwork from past Ghibli films as if it were "a museum of the past"
A place where visitors can enjoy by just looking, can understand the artists' spirits, and can gain new insights into animation
Original works and pictures will be made to be exhibited at the museum
A project room and an exhibit room will be made, showing movement and life (Original short films will be produced to released in the museum!)
Ghibli's past films will be probed for understanding at a deeper level

The cafe will be...
An important place for relaxation and enjoyment
A place that doesn't underestimate the difficulties of running a museum cafe
A good cafe with a style all its own where running a cafe is taken seriously and done right

The museum shop will be...
Well-prepared and well-presented for the sake of the visitors and running the museum
Not a bargain shop that attaches importance only to the amount of sales
A shop that continues to strive to be a better shop
Where original items made only for the museum are found

The museum's relation to the park is...
Not just about caring for the plants and surrounding greenery but also planning for how things can improve ten years into the future
Seeking a way of being and running the museum so that the surrounding park will become even lusher and better, which will in turn make the museum better as well!

This is what I expect the museum to be, and therefore I will find a way to do it

This is the kind of museum I don't want to make!
A pretentious museum
An arrogant museum
A museum that treats its contents as if they were more important than people
A museum that displays uninteresting works as if they were significant

Ghibli Museum, Mitaka
Executive Director
Hayao Miyazaki

02.05.2012, 03:56 PM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Yeah i remember reading that, and it made me really want to go to the museum haha.

Oh, and Welcome to the Tavern Jina!

02.06.2012, 06:17 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
jina445
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.05.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jina445 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thank you Calforsale!

02.06.2012, 06:44 AM jina445 is offline   Profile for jina445 Add jina445 to your buddy list
zalitz
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.11.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by zalitz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ive not been there let but it my plan to go to japan before my passport expires cause it the one place in the world in would love to go and the ghibli museum would be one of the places i would go to there

02.11.2012, 08:23 PM zalitz is offline   Profile for zalitz Add zalitz to your buddy list
Neko Aesthetic
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.24.12
Yup! And I got video!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Aesthetic Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey there! I was stumbling around the interwebz for fan sites and saw this one, because I wanted to share my Ghibli Museum journey with some more people! Low and behold, here I am, in just the right thread too.

I went to the museum in early January 2012, and it was absolutely incredible. If you are a big big fan, this place really is like a dream destination! If you want to check out my video of the trip, please feel free to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdYo0dK3ijU

If you are ever able to save up and visit, it is well worth it. Just remember to book at least 2 months in advance. It is about $15 entry, and maybe $10 for the travel agent's handling fee (but that is a flat rate, so multiple people can be booked for $10). There are 2 gift shops. The big main one which is PACKED WITH PEOPLE, and for good reason! It is stunning! But there is another much smaller one where you can buy books, located at the other end of the building on the top level.

Thanks for your time!

02.24.2012, 09:10 PM Neko Aesthetic is offline   Profile for Neko Aesthetic Add Neko Aesthetic to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you for your little film, Neko Aesthetic, it was cute, especially the misic, lol...

Welcome to the Tavern, we also like to see new people in here, especially ones that post.

Someday, I hope to go... definitely on my 'bucket' list...

02.25.2012, 02:45 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Thanks for sharing Neko! The clip was quite well done too! I liked it.

You are Australian right?

02.27.2012, 08:34 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks