QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Let's make a story!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Let's make a story! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm excited for this! Lets plan this now!

03.04.2012, 09:55 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No more input?

So we're going for a fantasy-esque reality-based backdrop, and a thriller genre with corruption within the government. Somehow sounds like Full Metal Alchemist, but looks good. Let's give it some depth.

Normal magic too mainstream, so let's make another fantasy feature. How about magic not being inborn or learned, but something grown? To have simplicity, let's have these "magic plants" - let's call them 'rhines' - be able to affect select elements, like affecting earth (plant growth), water (purifying, current flows), light (lighting, heat), and air (wind, can't think of anything else).

The rhines would be differentiated by colour (brown, blue, yellow, white), and only affects a small area by a small value, unless used in very large amounts, so drastic magic like changing the weather is near impossible.

Normal physics should apply too, I think.

As an example, brown rhines could work as an alternate fertiliser that works three times better, or a different use could quicken plant maturity by about 10%, depending on amount used. Not too strong, but that's the point.

That's all I can think of for now. Input would be appreciated.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.08.2012, 01:23 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds good Roar! What type of setting though? I think i'd like it to be set in the present, if not future, personally.

I don't know where though.

03.08.2012, 05:46 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Having read that, I'm much more interested.

As for the actual time... it's a little hard to pin a time to a setting like that. Magic plants don't put me in mind of a terribly futuristic timeframe, but it could work. Yes... yes, actually, the idea of a futuristic setting is gaining appeal.

My understanding of how this is going to work is still a little hazy though; it sounds like the same format as Isakaya, each of us having characters and a degree of control over the plot... That would be fine. But I get the impression that the format is not meant to be the same as Isakaya, so... clarification, s'il te plait?

So, about them plants. Valuable natural resource, found globally. As such, I imagine they're, ah... what's the word? Regulated? Controlled? ... I know what I mean. Point being that the national governments have control over their... use/distribution. Naturally. Which is where corruption can come in. Some sort of black market setup could be going on.

My Anime List

03.08.2012, 11:30 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well if were going with government corruption and I like the sound that the Government regulates and controls the selling of the plant, I think there should be a Government department that sorts that stuff out, like most Governments each thing has a department (DOD or department of agriculture) so I think a department should be specifically created for example 'The Department of regulation and control on magical objects'.

This is where the corruption kicks in, the plant obviously seems valuable so we could have people within the department scheming to get hold of as many of the plants in order to sell on to make tonnes of money. As for futuristic, I think it would work if it was Post apocoliptic (sort of like Nausicca) the plants would fit in better, if it is just futuristic it would be more technological rather than magical IMO.

This is sounding good though!

03.08.2012, 05:15 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry for the absence, was overseas for a tournament.

The idea of the rhines being weak magic is so that it won't be possible to be too damaging to the environment, people, economy, etc etc in average amounts. If we were to draw a parallel, it'd be kinda like vitamins on steroids.

But yeah, I see the point of corruption from the control of magic.

If that's the case, we can push it to the future then, where after rhines were discovered, there was a huge power struggle over them. However, it was found that the "magic" of the rhines were not as strong as those in stories, and that they were not really uncommon, so the hype died down somewhat.

Fast forward a few decades, the future hasn't really changed much. World hunger has been solved because the some arid deserts could be used for crops, and non-potable water can now be more easily cleaned. In fact, nuclear power is now viable again as radioactive water can be neutralized, and biowaste changed into safe sludge via a mixture inclusive of brown and blue rhines.

However, like a coin, the advantages of these rhines are double-edged. Concentrated yellow rhines, for example, have been known to be used in bombs for a slight increase in range and damage. There was also a report in the papers about a hooligan who released a balloon filled with concentrated white rhine to cause a huge draft in a paper factory, causing thousands of dollars in damage.

So goes my idea of the world. Now this is getting good.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.12.2012, 12:58 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really enjoy it! I liked the concept of a black market for these goods as well, perhaps manipulating the negative uses of the rhines? Perhaps illegal crossbreeds of the plants could be made which made weapons out of usually harmless rhines or made them too potent etc.? For example a certain mix of rhines could create a poisonous gas, or a drug that has hallucinatory effects and has become popular among the underworld as a result?

I'd love to create a character involved in a black market~

Plus that would make sense and tie in with the ideas of government corruption, crime pays and all that. The market could be supplied by the corrupted officials and in turn they get generously funded?

03.12.2012, 04:13 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Just a prologue. Halfway through, but tell me what you guys think.

quote:
It was a meteor shower.

I guess it is rather true that the younger generation do not really care about events past last Friday's party, and besides, they would just argue that everything you need to know about rhines is all written in your History, Science and Alchemy textbooks back when you were nine. Back then, we never really cared about History, Science class was for geeks with thick glasses (only the subject about the birds and the bees was remotely interesting), and Alchemy involved memorizing mixtures of rhines and chemicals that never really proved useful since we could just buy a premix pack from the store for whatever we need.

However, in order to really truly understand the full situation of the current events, one must know how rhines first came to be, about the big "industrialisation" that never was, and the events that followed.

It was a meteor shower.

According to a newspaper clipping on January 1st 2014, astronomists were calling it the heaviest quadrantid meteor shower since the turn of the century. Of course, news like this are generally found somewhere besides the front page between some huge advertisement, so you cannot be faulted for not knowing it.

"The heaviest" proved to be an understatement. It was the heaviest meteor shower in centuries, in more ways than one. How NASA missed such a huge cloud of debris is beyond anyone's comprehension, but for a meteor shower to last a whole two days was truly unprecedented. Not all the debris burned up in the atmosphere either, which is what makes a shooting star a shooting star instead of a cannonball from space, with reports of meteorite debrs being reported all around the world. Some had devastating effects. One reported meteor shot through the newly rebuilt World Trade Center in New York, and although the damage was less than what even a shotgun would have caused, racial conflicts began again in small pockets around the area. More severe was a meteor that crashed into a run-down orphanage in Sri Lanka, causing the ceiling to collapse. Three children died and many others were critically injured.

Then it was announced.

It began with a report from the Chernobyl area. A meteor has fallen into a pond within ground zero, and soldiers patrolling the area had gone to investigate. As the approached the pond, however, their geiger meters acted very strangely.

Correction: the meters did not react at all. For some reason, the radiation in the pond was completely absent.

Scientists at hand discovered that, for some reason, the meteorite that fell into the pond had a purifying effect on the water. This was proven by reproducing the effect with samples. It had no effect whatsoever with anything but liquids, like water purifying pills used by hikers in those days, only much stronger. According to a British scientist, the water in the pond was "as beautiful as rhinestone." The scientist's name was never mentioned, but the name stuck.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.15.2012, 02:02 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Sounds great! I honestly quite like that prologue.

Edit: Just wondering though, how are we going to do our characters? How will we assign characters and will we need to use another account to write in the story thread?

Post last edited by Calforsale on 03.15.2012, 06:30 AM.

03.15.2012, 04:42 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

No, it's not an RPG. But controlling a character means you get to decide how a character reacts in any given situation, his/her background, quirks, anything really.

For example, we can write a beginning paragraph with a set of characters. However, the controller may feel that the character should be acting in a different manner, so the paragraph is edited. So on and so forth.

Kinda like an RPG, but in novel form.

EDIT: Part two of prologue. Just a short one, and REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping for input on this.

quote:
This discovery sparked the beginning of "the new gold rush", with scientists all over the world hunting for these meteorites. The market price for the space rocks were astronomical: those who happened to have possession of them became instant millionaires.

Of course, at that time, no one actually knew what the stones could do, or how. It took scientists all over the world a good three years to isolate the rhines from ordinary space dust and discover their (currently) known properties, categorized by their colour and tone.

They are:

-Blue
Blue rhines were the first to be studied because of the Chernobyl incident. They have various effects on liquids, depending on the tone. The sapphire rhines had amazing purifying effect, removing anything not chemically bonded to the main body. The purifying strength is determined by the shade; the deeper it is, the stronger the effect. Pale aquamarine rhines, for example, can only distil particle that were already non-soluble to begin with, like silt.

-Brown
Brown rhines were the second to be discovered. They further strengthen whatever effects a solid compound mixture has, as long as they are solid. Because of this, they have been used with fertilisers to vastly improve crop growth by improving soil conditions. They lose their properties gradually when mixed with liquid solutions, however, limiting their use. Unlike blue rhines, the shade spectrum is the opposite: the paler they are, the stronger the effect.

-White
White rhines control gaseous mixtures; specifically, their flow via pressure changes. Just like the element they control, the shade of white rhines are equally volatile, so their uses are still somewhat limited. White rhines are not graded by their shades but by their volatility instead.

-Red
Red rhines affect heat, or to be more specific, internal energy of an object. Fortunately, even the brightest red rhines cannot cause fires by itself, but they can increase the explosiveness of bombs. Their most common use, however, are in engines, improving fuel efficiency. The more common duller red rhines are popular in cold areas.

The rhines were very peculiar. Their density and shape seem to be very similar to the element they affect, but they possess no weight at all, and holding them feels like you are not actually holding anything at all; it just feels like you are holding something. Because of this and their strange effects, some people have taken to calling them magic instead.

Mixing any of these produces different effects. A mix of certain brown and white rhines, for example, allows for stronger carbon materials (the mix allows the effects of white rhines to affect solids). The people who study the properties and their practical uses of these mixtures are called alchemists.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.15.2012, 10:03 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is starting to sound really good.

However, I think there should be some Rhine stones whose properties and abilities have not been discovered and are still being researched on, this could give more opportunities in the plot as researching them could be possibly one members characters job.

This brings me onto my next point, IMO I think that we should draw up a sensible character list that makes sense within the plot, as to avoid people making up characters that are rarely used or become to silly within the story, I am up for having control over characters but I think maybe if we draw up a list then people choose who they wish to be on a first come first serve basis, then we leave it up to the member to create the backstory and everything about the character.

So for example characters like sceintists/researchers
and government officials. Then the member gives them a name and a backstory. Then has full control!!

Hope this makes sense!!

03.16.2012, 12:50 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well, the idea is to have the story take place several decades in the future, so having undiscovered rhines would be unrealistic. But it's an idea worth exploring.

Undiscovered abilities, DEFINITELY worth exploring into. White rhines are ambiguous there, for starters, I couldn't think of a not-so-strong use for airbending (we don't have a 100-yr old Avatar and his bison here).

I'm actually hoping for people to actually provide usable materials, like names, plot, location, settings, anything. I'm not much of a storyteller, though I have one helluva imagination, so help is duly appreciated.

The prologue is just there as a base for you guys to start with. By no means is it set in stone (or pixel).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.16.2012, 01:32 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

How much control will we have with whay we add to story? Like we couldnt say just kill another character could we.

03.17.2012, 12:01 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

As much control as you within possible limits.

Killing another character though, you'll have to ask the controller, wouldn't you?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.17.2012, 12:37 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Cool. Sounds good.

03.17.2012, 09:20 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by captain george
-Lonely guy alone in badly furnished apartment
-Raining, he's all sad and alone and stuff
-This dude's got no money
-Guys all sad and stuff, get working on some pity
-Go through a few dull days of his life
-Something bad happens, make readers feel pity
-The guy has to leave apartment for crummy new one
-After a rough start makes friends with neighbours, falls in love with some cute girl
-She initially rejects him, falls for him too after some romantic gesture
-Typical sunset finish, cite running joke from earlier in novel
Then:
Sell movie rights, make millions for recycled story.

Spend money on getting new fonts for the tavern

LOL!

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

03.17.2012, 06:05 PM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

This is too far down.

Anyone? Really?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.21.2012, 10:07 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Wikidkid101
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
This is too far down.

Anyone? Really?

What do you mean?

03.21.2012, 10:24 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its set in a not-too distant future, oui? I still think perhaps we should explore what has changed. Previously arid deserts have been able to improve because of the rhines, so countries such as those in Africa would have come along in leaps and bounds. The global balance of power would certainly have shifted. Perhaps places like the Arab Emirates which derive a lot of their money from the sale of oil, which now won't be as necessary, would have fallen. Places which are rich in rhines risen. I know it won't be essentially necessary to the storyline, but I think it'd be valuable to have at least a neat idea of the global situation.

Similarly what are we thinking on technology? Would a lot of it be rhine related? Such as rhine guns etc.? And would transport be affected?

As far as settings go in my opinion it would be good to place it in somewhere we all know the culture/setting of quite well. Personally I'd suggest America - we all have at least a basic understanding of what its like now from TV/films/media I expect so it'd be a pretty safe bet. Plus I don't know if it's because I've read too many Stephen King novels, but I find it small American towns somewhat unsettling. If it was set in a small town than one can presume the majority of characters would be in one way involved with one of another, would know of one another. It could be set near a rhine research facility, to lend it some importance. Perhaps it could be a left over from the rhine rush - in that during the first years of rhine discovery a great deal were found in the area, making the town popular for the time and being the reason for the building of the research facility, but as the resource ran low people moved away and the town died a little as a result. This would provide people with a great mix of opinions about the rhines, as well I should think. Members of the town might differ wildly in their view of the rhines compared to those at the research facility. If we're thinking about corruption as a theme of the story, the idea of a small but corrupt police force etc. wouldn't be a stretch.

I don't know, that's my suggestion anyway

03.21.2012, 12:05 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For inspiration how about this site?

http://www.writing.com/main/list_items/i...pe/interactives

You write a chapter or a few paragraphs and at the end offer about 3 directions the story could go in, anyone then picks up the next chapter and writes onwards, again leaaving a set of optional ways onwards.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.24.2012, 01:12 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks