QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Grave of the Fireflies novel
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Grave of the Fireflies novel » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.26.12
Grave of the Fireflies novelPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by theflashisgone Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just watched and fell in love with the movie Grave of the Fireflies and now I really want to read the book it was based on, by Akiyuki Nosaka. Thus far, I've been unable to find an English version on either Amazon or Ebay, and I've heard that the French version is poorly translated. Those are the only languages I can read. Does anyone know where I can find an English version of the book?

03.26.2012, 05:38 PM theflashisgone is offline   Profile for theflashisgone Add theflashisgone to your buddy list Send an Email to theflashisgone
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, flash... I personally don't know of any English translations, but others in here might. Ghibli has made a number of other movies and I highly recommend them as well... I will watch this thread and see if anything comes up. I would be interested as well, I think.

Again, Welcome and Good Luck...

edit:
Goes looking for some batteries for flash's flashlight...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.26.2012, 06:10 PM.

03.26.2012, 06:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As husky said, welcome to the tavern

id like to read a translated version as well, but i don't think one has been made :/
Welcome again!

03.26.2012, 07:24 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
theflashisgone
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.26.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by theflashisgone Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm already a Studio Ghibli fan, but I was particularly inspired by that movie.

03.26.2012, 07:40 PM theflashisgone is offline   Profile for theflashisgone Add theflashisgone to your buddy list Send an Email to theflashisgone
CrystalFoy
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.27.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by CrystalFoy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Story of Grave of the Fireflies is based on the semi-autobiographic novel of the same name, whose author, Nosaka, lost his sister due to malnutrition in 1945 wartime Japan. He blamed himself for her death and wrote the story so as to make amends to her and help him accept the tragedy. I searched the English version but not find good result as such for this.

03.27.2012, 08:23 AM CrystalFoy is offline   Profile for CrystalFoy Add CrystalFoy to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think there's one, sorry. There has been a few movie adaptations and a series I think, but no novel translations.

I'd love to read it too.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.01.2012, 10:39 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
citron
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.19.18
Found the English translationPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by citron Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's more of a short story than a whole book.
I know this is a *reeaaally* old threaad, but I found the english translation here:
http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/A_Grave_of_Fireflies_(USA_book)

04.19.2018, 06:26 AM citron is offline   Profile for citron Add citron to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I went to this site and it said "No text available...."

So I clicked 'Main Page' and then clicked ;GotF' and it took me to the page about the film.

The film was based on the partially auto-biographical story by either the name "Grave of the Fireflies" or as it is also known "Tombstone for Fireflies" and the author is Akiyui Nosaka.

I've never seen this site before, but others may have. I'll look at it fully later on today when I get back home.

Unfortunately, I I went to this site and it said "No text available...."

So I clicked 'Main Page' and then clicked ;GotF' and it took me to the page about the film.

The film was based on the partially auto-biographical story by either the name "Grave of the Fireflies" or as it is also known "Tombstone for Fireflies" and the author is Akiyui Nosaka.

I've never seen this site before, but others may have. I'll look at it fully later on today when I get back home.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any link to the English version of the story at that link shown.

Meanwhile, Welcome to the Tavern, Citron. and thank you for the information...

(edited for spelling)

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.19.2018, 11:57 AM.

04.19.2018, 11:55 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's there, just a problem with the URL. If you copy+paste the whole URL into your address bar you'll be taken to a page with a link to a PDF copy of the story.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 04.19.2018, 12:04 PM.

04.19.2018, 12:03 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think the problem was the way the forum software automatically tags URLs. I took the liberty of editing the original post, so you should be able to follow the link now.

04.20.2018, 04:39 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Thank you, all three of you.

Interesting coincidental note:

Tuesday night, I stopped at a 'China Panda' shop on the way home for dinner. While there, a young lady (maybe 20-25?) commented on my Totoro tattoo and we were able to talk about Ghibli films while she was working. I told her about the 'Tavern', as I do to all who recognize my tattoo's. During our conversation (about 5 min) she mentioned different titles and said (iirc) that her favorite was "Grave of the Fireflies".

Now, thanks to citron, Kazagami and arren, here is this English translation of the book. I will give the young lady this information when next I see her.

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.20.2018, 01:23 PM.

04.20.2018, 01:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks