QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Are you interested in Japan, or basically just Ghibli?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Are you interested in Japan, or basically just Ghibli? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Are you interested in Japan, or basically just Ghibli?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm just wondering who here is very interested in Japan as well as Ghibli, or are mainly just interested in Ghibli.

When i mean Japan i mean anything Japanese, the music, anime, food, fashion, history, culture etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I personally am not that interested in Japan. It seems like a really awesome place, i do want to travel there and i like a few other Japanese movies/tv shows but my love of Ghibli surpasses my interest in Japan by far.

04.27.2012, 10:49 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm very interested in Japan as well as Ghibli. And I think that my enjoyment and appreciation of Ghibli films is greatly enriched and deepened by my experience of Japanese language and culture.

04.28.2012, 01:41 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I lived in Japan for a time in the mid-60s and totally enjoyed it there Long before I became a Ghibli fan. I do prefer watching the movies with subtitles...

04.28.2012, 03:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A bit of both, I first found Ghibli and it's films back in the early 2000's then shortly after my uncle married a Japanese woman, and my interest in their culture, food and history spiraled from there, I love going to there house because she usually cooks traditional japenese food, which is amazing.

04.29.2012, 06:12 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ask her if she can make Sukiyaki, more or less pronounced 'Ski-yaki'. One of my fav Japanese meals...

04.29.2012, 07:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mm, sukiyaki... the word itself is so yummy sounding..

I've always been generally in love with Japanese culture. I had a teacher at a very young age who was, and she always liked having me as student. Then she disappeared and no one saw her again.

I didn't quite know a whole lot on Japanese culture when my cousin began adding Ghibli titles to my watch list when we were young. She was friends with a Japanese man who liked that she liked Ghibli. After I began watching them, I took note the films were originally from Japan, and found myself, when we first started getting DVDs, to be switching the languages around.

Honestly, it's hard to say when I became influenced by its culture. I just always found myself attracted to eastern culture as a whole. It likely wasn't just Ghibli itself, as it was more a stepping stone. I became to love the music, the background, the people. But I am like that with any country I become associated with.

I would probably say my love of the country is larger than my love of Ghibli. My boyfriend also loves Japan, and wishes when he was moving here that he could have roamed around in Japan while they waited for their flight. We both love the history and what it is today.

Sometimes I wonder why I was born where I am. I love my country too, but it upsets people that I become so enchanted by other countries. However, if I were to be born anywhere else, I might never have a chance at doing what I want to do.

04.29.2012, 10:02 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

im probably more interested in Ghibli, but id like to learn Japanese and stay there for a while. The history is amazing and the culture/food of the place is brilliant too

04.30.2012, 08:21 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Both! I would love to visit Japan and of course I love Ghibli films.

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

04.30.2012, 08:50 PM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
AmtrakDesertWindrider
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AmtrakDesertWindrider Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Quite frankly, I'm interested in much more than Miyazaki's works when it comes to Japan.

This is pretty much no real surprise, but the rail network actually got me interested. High-density, high-traffic corridors feeding into high-speed, limited-stop intercity lines is arguably the best model for what California High Speed Rail should look like...also, it's how the Japanese National Railways have worked for half-a-century, if not longer.

I mean, really, why haven't Metrolink, Caltrain, and Coaster upgraded their lines for high-frequency electric service yet? And why is it that CAHSR aims to construct circuitous, frequently-stopping routes, starting in nowhere and going to nowhere?

Look where the Shinkansen ran to and ran from, and how straight its right-of-way is. Notice how much interurban traffic exists in Tokyo, Osaka, and the like.

Me? Going just because of anime? Nah, expect to run into me over there studying rights-of-way, electric railway technology, and urban planning.

05.01.2012, 02:12 PM AmtrakDesertWindrider is offline   Profile for AmtrakDesertWindrider Add AmtrakDesertWindrider to your buddy list Homepage of AmtrakDesertWindrider
Ivynwater
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.30.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ivynwater Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think really possible to be interested in Ghibli and dont' care at all about Japan since to understand the first you must get a bit into the latter. It's true that anyone can find "enjoyble" a Ghibli anime without necessarily knowing anything more than what they see, but I consider "being interested" more deep than "find something enjoyable" therefore....I do love Japan, I could never manage to go there since I couldn't afford it, but I tried to read and watch as much as I could about that country. I alwyas thought that if I'll find myself in the situation to radically change my life, I would defintely go there to live. As for Ghibli....what's not to like? Their anime are so beautiful and always inspirational, capable of enchanting very young people as well as adults.

Ivynwater

05.07.2012, 08:59 AM Ivynwater is offline   Profile for Ivynwater Add Ivynwater to your buddy list Homepage of Ivynwater
husky51
The Old Guy

Welcome to the Tavern, Ivynwater... We always like to see new members who post...

05.07.2012, 12:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Ivynwater
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.30.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ivynwater Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you, I'll try to participate more : )

Ivynwater

05.07.2012, 02:22 PM Ivynwater is offline   Profile for Ivynwater Add Ivynwater to your buddy list Homepage of Ivynwater
Wabby
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.15.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wabby Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was taking Japanese classes before i even knew what Ghibli was, and i think those classes are the only reason i know about it at all! It sounds amazing, the culture, the festivals, their movies, the language, the food (i swear i could live on sushi!), I'm planning on going to Japan next year, for a class thing,, pretty much obsessed with Ghibli and Japan ^_^

08.16.2012, 05:21 AM Wabby is offline   Profile for Wabby Add Wabby to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Fast fact: 12 years into japanese culture and I still have no idea what Sukiyaki is Hadn't even bothered to google it yet.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.16.2012, 01:37 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

OH, you are missing a taste treat, IMO... I love it, but not many restaurants make it... Damn it, now I gotta go find a place...

I understand that in Japan, it is supposedly something thrown together with leftover ingredients, but I never felt tht way about it. AHHH, beef Sukiyaki...NOM NOM NOM

Unlless you are referring to the song "Ue o Muite Aruko" by Kyu Sakamoto, released in 1963 is one of the few non-English songs to reach the charts in America and the only Japanese one. I remember it being a big hit here. A lot of people were phonetically singing it (yeah, me too) , but never understood what the song was about. Too many different interputations... I finally found out what I believe to be the right one when I was in japan... I still retain the tune in my head...

Going out to my local Japanese restaurant now.... sigh.

08.16.2012, 05:11 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks