QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - I think you all would like this
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » I think you all would like this » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
jeff44
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.29.12
  I think you all would like thisPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jeff44 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello fellow Ghibli fans, I've spent six months putting together a montage tribute to the best animation studio out there. It includes every Ghibli movie up to Arrietty (as far as I know). I thought it would be great to share with all of you. I hope you all like it, and it would be great if you could like and comment. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXcXiQ7vnl4

Post last edited by jeff44 on 07.29.2012, 12:41 PM.

07.29.2012, 12:40 PM jeff44 is offline   Profile for jeff44 Add jeff44 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, jeff44... We all hope you enjoy your stay here...

I watched it and I liked the layout, but I had to shut off the sound for the first 1/3 or so of the display. The background music was just too harsh and annoying. I tried to bear it, but it got to a point of irritation.

After the music changed I was able to listen to it and the music seemed to fit much better...

Again, welcome...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.29.2012, 04:41 PM.

07.29.2012, 04:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
jeff44
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jeff44 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the welcome and feedback! I wonder if it could be a problem with your speakers? I would give it a try with headphones if you haven't. Or maybe you just don't like the song, I just don't get how anyone could find it so irritating. Anyway, thanks for watching!

07.29.2012, 10:22 PM jeff44 is offline   Profile for jeff44 Add jeff44 to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey jeff

the thing is

number 1. the quality is below average, i think you have good quality source. so why did you upload of that quality.

number 2.you have to understand the flow of pictures it is the key for any successful video. your music just does not fit. it is not annoying it is not something that we want when we are watching that particular scene.

i think a little more time was needed to complete the video. But thanks for trying. If you can not find quality content you can contact me.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.29.2012, 11:54 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
jeff44
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jeff44 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What are you expecting? Blu-Ray quality? The video suffers quality reduction both when it is rendered from Premiere and when it is uploaded to YouTube. It is unavoidable. Compared to other videos, the quality is great, which is why YouTube labeled it as an HD video. Do you not watch a lot of YouTube videos? Rarely is the quality good.

What songs don't you like? Both? I thought they both were very suitable. I have been making tribute videos for years, I take it pretty seriously. Believe me, I know that the flow of clips is important, and to me everything flows nicely.

Sorry if I sound defensive. I spent six entire months laboring over this work, so criticism can be difficult, especially when you tell me I didn't put enough effort into it. I probably invested north of 200 hours on this video.

Thank you for taking the time to view it and I do appreciate you feedback. I realize that you can't please everyone.

07.30.2012, 12:13 AM jeff44 is offline   Profile for jeff44 Add jeff44 to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jeff44
What are you expecting? Blu-Ray quality? The video suffers quality reduction both when it is rendered from Premiere and when it is uploaded to YouTube. It is unavoidable. Compared to other videos, the quality is great, which is why YouTube labeled it as an HD video. Do you not watch a lot of YouTube videos? Rarely is the quality good.

What songs don't you like? Both? I thought they both were very suitable. I have been making tribute videos for years, I take it pretty seriously. Believe me, I know that the flow of clips is important, and to me everything flows nicely.

Sorry if I sound defensive. I spent six entire months laboring over this work, so criticism can be difficult, especially when you tell me I didn't put enough effort into it. I probably invested north of 200 hours on this video.

Thank you for taking the time to view it and I do appreciate you feedback. I realize that you can't please everyone.

Sorry jeff if i disheartened you or offended you by anyway.

If you have given 200 hours on this video then i have to say that the time could be spent a little better if you have learnt how to use premiere pro. Sony vegas maybe. But i do not think it was really necessary to use softwares like those. Do not get me wrong. i am not saying that you do not know how to use premiere. what i am trying to say is it is a professional software. Many people live on this particular software so it is not that easy.

And criticism is good for you . you just can not make a thing and think it is good. it is always how people will accept it not how the maker sees it.

Before spending a lot of time you should actually gather quality material like bluray discs and original music cds of studio ghibli. otherwise i do not see the point of spending so much time.

I can surely understand the feelings of you about it.

But you could actually write a great newspaper article for that time. By that you could actually be both famous and also have paid tribute to your honored directors. And for doing that there is plenty of material flowing in the internet. A newspaper article would do things much better than a youtube video. A youtube video will be forgotten but that article will be a record.

So try again this time you will be much better i hope. Please do not take my words offensively. if it looks like that to you just ignore.

sincerely

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.30.2012, 01:02 AM.

07.30.2012, 01:01 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
msteve60
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.30.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by msteve60 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

saviour2012,

Yes criticism is good, but your criticisms are (no offense)...stupid and worthless. You clearly are not very knowledgeable about Youtube and video editing yet you try to pretend you are.

Firstly, most Ghibli movies aren't even available on Blu-ray, so obviously you are not going to get a Blu-ray quality tribute. How many videos do you see on Youtube that are Blu-ray quality? Jeff's tribute is actually very good quality for a Youtube video. Anybody who has watched even a couple of video tributes on Youtube should know that the standard quality for these videos is quite low. The quality of Jeff's tribute is nowhere near "below average" as you say. Send me a link to 10 tributes with better video quality (good luck) and I will send you 50 that are lower quality.

Secondly, why would he want to buy Ghibli cds? Movie scores rarely work well with these kinds of tributes, and as a big Ghibli fan, I can tell you that no Ghibli song would have worked for the type of tribute Jeff was obviously trying to make. The songs he picked were very suitable.

Thirdly, the video has some very sophisticated and professional-quality editing. How can you say the scenes don't flow? They are synced to the music perfectly and the quotes are integrated seamlessly. Watch a few other video tributes on Youtube and you will see how terribly most of them are edited. From watching this tribute, it is clear to me that Jeff worked long and hard on his video, which isn't the case with most videos I watch.

In addition, your comment "you just can not make a thing and think it is good," is completely untrue. You think artists can't make things just because they like them? They have to pander to an audience? That philosophy is the reason why nearly every move that comes out of Hollywood is a complete crapfest. Sure, most artists prefer to have their work appreciated by others, but to say the sole purpose of art is to please other people and not yourself is completely ridiculous.

Also, your comment about writing a newspaper article is laughable. People make tribute videos because they enjoy making them and enjoy watching them, not just because they like the directors. Maybe Jeff doesn't like writing articles? I don't even know why you would suggest that. I'm sure a newspaper would publish some random article by a random guy praising his favorite directors.

Please don't take my words offensively, I am just a little irritated because as a video editor myself I hate to see great videos insulted like this.

P.S. Can you send me a link to a tribute video you think is good?

Thank you.

07.30.2012, 01:52 AM msteve60 is offline   Profile for msteve60 Add msteve60 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

msteve60, Welcome to the Tavern... Hoping that you can stay with us...

Again, welcome...

07.30.2012, 03:14 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

chill man

i will stop here cause you are saying yourself a great editor.I better check my knowledge.

OH about bluray search the internet.

and if you want to measure your quality[not resolution although it is blurry] by another youtube video then your video is gooodd. Happy now?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hahaha

i just cant stop laughing

husky can you understand why?

check your pm.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.30.2012, 03:31 AM.

07.30.2012, 03:19 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
jeff44
Kodama

Thank you for the compliments msteve60, it really means a lot coming from another video editor.

Saviour I'm sorry for acting defensive. You have every right to dislike my video. It's just hard because of the insane amount of effort and passion that I poured into this and you don't have a single positive thing to say.

According to you, the quality sucks, the clips do not flow (aka the editing is bad), and the music choices do not fit. Your criticism is basically "every aspect of your video sucks. Try again." That isn't very helpful to me.

I'm not going to be able to find Blu-Ray quality downloads for all the Ghibli movies. In fact, some of my downloads ARE Blu-Ray downloads. However, quality reduction occurs on three levels.

1. When the Blu-Ray movie is uploaded onto the internet for others to download.

2. When the completed edited video is exported from Premiere.

3. When the video is uploaded to YouTube.

So even if I did get Blu-Ray downloads for all the videos, once I upload it to YouTube, the quality would not be even close to Blu-Ray quality. That's just the reality of it.

Disliking my music choices is perfectly acceptable, however, MSteve60 is right, no Ghibli music would have worked for the type of video I was going for.

I'm having trouble understanding how you think my editing is bad. IMO that's the strongest aspect of the video. On a purely technical level, I don't think you can say it's bad. It is perfectly synced up with the music and everything. I mean, if you call this bad, what is good editing? You would have trouble finding other fan-made videos anywhere on the internet that have equally complex editing.

Again, as someone who is aspiring to edit videos professionally, I take criticism very seriously and am always looking to improve. However, when I pour my heart and soul into a video only to be told "it sucks, try again" I am left somewhat insulted and with no real advice on how to improve.

Also I agree with msteve60, an artist SHOULD think their own art is good, otherwise they aren't trying as hard as they can. I always try to take criticism into account, but ultimately it is the artist's own vision that matters, not others. However, it is always nice to have others appreciate one's work.

Also I'm interested in knowing what you find so funny? You think I'm making a fool of myself?

Thanks.

Post last edited by jeff44 on 07.30.2012, 12:38 PM.

07.30.2012, 12:17 PM jeff44 is offline   Profile for jeff44 Add jeff44 to your buddy list
msteve60
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.30.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by msteve60 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

saviour2012,

Sorry for being a dick in my last post. I still disagree with basically everything you said, but I shouldn't have been a dick about it.

Post last edited by msteve60 on 07.30.2012, 03:15 PM.

07.30.2012, 12:36 PM msteve60 is offline   Profile for msteve60 Add msteve60 to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Jeff

here is some advice

First try to convert it to widescreen. YOU should be able do it without affecting the image.

Second Start the video from 1:04 seconds. Go upto 3:52 do not give the break there. Here you broke the flow as you changed it.Then start with 4:12 with the sea. and forward.From 8:20 you actually did a very very good job. Bravo.I think you have keep the attention of the viewer upto that point.SO from 1:04 to 3:52 and from 4:12 to 8:20 part can be a little bit re-edited.

A little bit changing will do the job.

However quality is not good.

The things about quality you are saying is wrong. Premiere does not lessen quality it sometimes even enhances it. About bluray. First of all it is the rule of the forum not to talk about illegal videos. Still with taking risk i can say, have you ever downloaded a bdrip file of 14-15 GB. If you have not then try. If you have then you have probably reduced the quality by converting it to avi for premiere. If that is the case try to search about this. I can not help you thoroughly about this there is too much too cover.Another thing is your video has clips of different quality movies. So when ever morphing or moving to the next scene causes the pixels to show
[yeah visible when you full-screen your player]. i Watched it in 720p. About youtube here is a little advice upload a little bit bigger resolution video and try to upload it in h.264 format . There are other video uploading sites as well which does not have quality reduction problem.

NOW please understand i do not and will not criticize your video with respect to other youtube videos. If you think that is the limit of your quality then i have to shut up.

About the funny part if you did not understood then its better not to be disclosed. No you are not making a fool of yourself.

07.30.2012, 02:34 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

@jeff44...

The part of the music that was bothersome to me was the beat more than anything, it seemed so repetitious.. It was probably just me, but it actually irritated me and I shut the sound off. I turned it back on later when I found the music had changed...

07.30.2012, 02:47 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
jeff44
Kodama

Thank you for the advice Saviour. I'm actually gonna try to convert it to widescreen and export it again with different settings. This hopefully will improve the quality.

I appreciate your suggestions on how to re-edit the video, but the whole thing was meticulously crafted and every scene is deliberate. You seem to think that the slower/meditative portions of the video are boring. Fair enough. I don't think most people will feel this way. You criticize the editing at these slower parts, but I think you're just bored by the slow pacing, the editing itself is fine, and suits the music. You seem to think the fast-paced climax is great, but it works in conjunction with the rest of the video. Without the previous 8 minutes of build-up, the impact that the climax makes would be very little.

You suggest that I get rid of the pause at 3:52 because it takes the viewer out of the video. I respectfully disagree. This represents a turning point in the video. If you didn't notice, the video (roughly) progresses chronologically through the movies. The first song introduces each movie and the main characters. After the first song ends, we are (roughly) introduced to the problems/setbacks that some of the characters experience, it progresses the plot of each movie. This serves as the build-up to the climax, where each character overcomes their problems.

This is just a general outline to the layout of the video, it is by no means exact. So it's not so easy for me to just go back and change stuff and cut stuff out, as everything works in unison. One scene sets up another scene later on.

Some people, like yourself, will be bored during the slower scenes that set-up the climax, and would rather sit through a 10 minute action montage. However, I think some people will appreciate the video as it is, and respect the amount of thought and effort than went into it.

Yes, I have used bdrip files. But most Ghibli movies don't even have a blu-ray release, so that's out of the question. I've never heard of Premiere improving the quality after export, but I'm gonna play around with the settings. YouTube, however, automatically reduces the quality of videos, so don't expect anything close to blu-ray quality.

Thanks again for you advice.

07.30.2012, 07:45 PM jeff44 is offline   Profile for jeff44 Add jeff44 to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

jeff44, I left this comment on YouTube:

"Stunning, just stunning. The intensity of editing after 08:14 must have taken hours and hours. Great editing and great choice of music too. Well done!"

I also think the video quality is among the highest I've seen on YouTube. I totally do not understand any of Saviours criticisms at all!

My only criticism would be the first piece of music. At times it seemed to be very slightly out of tune, it was an odd sensation but rather awkward to the ears.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.31.2012, 09:40 AM.

07.31.2012, 09:39 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
jeff44
Kodama

Thank you! I'm really glad you liked it and I appreciate the kind words. If you haven't, it would be great if you could thumbs up the video on YouTube so that it appears higher on search results and stuff.

I understand what you mean about the first song. It does sound out of tune at times, but the song is by Jonsi, who seems to intentionally do this in his music often.

I personally don't understand Saviour's criticisms either, he seems to be completely unfamiliar with YouTube.

08.01.2012, 05:48 PM jeff44 is offline   Profile for jeff44 Add jeff44 to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really liked the first song. Because there's so much dialogue you don't want anything too busy in the background, so it's nicely unobtrusive while still maintaining a beautiful, hypnotic quality with just a tinge of the eerie (the aforementioned "slightly out of tune" quality), which I think fits Ghibli perfectly. Other music is great, too.

I actually agree with Savior that the transition around the 4:00 mark comes a bit abruptly, or seems forced somehow; all the other editing is so smooth and natural that the transition seems to draw too much attention to itself. I know it's supposed to be noticeable, as it is, as you say, a turning point in the video, but I wonder if the same effect could be accomplished with a less jarring transition? It's not a huge deal, though, and hardly wrecked my experience. My only other criticism editing-wise would be that the effects get laid on a little thick at the end. There's a kind of flare-fade technique you use (I'm no editor, obviously) that I found a little excessive.

I don't see how anyone could complain about the quality, apart from the fact that it varies somewhat from clip to clip (Spirited Away clips seem of noticeably better quality than most others, but once again, no big deal). Overall, great job.

08.02.2012, 09:52 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
jeff44
Kodama

Great comments! You really hit the nail on the head with your comments about the first song. That's exactly what I was thinking when I decided to use the song. The transition at the 4:00 mark may be a tad too much, it's difficult to make it less conspicuous though because of the song change. I would have to somehow blend the two songs together I think, and that would be really difficult to get it to sound natural. I might play around with it though.

As for the editing at the end, it might have been hard to notice because when the video was exported out of Premiere the audio became slightly off sync, but the "flare" effect appears at every moment in the music when you hear the crash of a cymbal. I felt I needed something in the video to correspond to this sound, it was the best thing I could find. Also I think the "excessive" editing at the end is actually fitting because the background music is sort of all over the place as well.

You're definitely right about the difference in quality between movies. Princess Mononoke's poor quality is a little off-putting I think, but there's not much I can do about it.

Very astute observations! Thanks for the feedback!

08.02.2012, 04:09 PM jeff44 is offline   Profile for jeff44 Add jeff44 to your buddy list
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern Jeff!
Cool video!!
I really like how you put it together; the first part of the video is a good introduction and I see how you captured the similarities and the moods of the separate films and the last part where you blended them together is excellent !! And the last scene fading out of Seita and Setsuko on the hill with fireflys all around-great touch (such a sad movie)! My only complaint is, it is a little long maybe for people who are not already fans of Miyazaki/Ghibli and the background music, especially the first part seems kinda low quality? Otherwise, very impressive!
I noticed you have Classic Film videos on Youtube too-awesome

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

08.02.2012, 05:24 PM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
jeff44
Kodama

Thanks for the great feedback! It's awesome that you noticed how the video was structured and everything. It might be a little long for non-fans, but this is video is more designed for die-hard Ghibli fans so I don't think it's too big a deal.

The first song is sort of out of tune, that's why it seems low quality. Jonsi/Sigur Ros, who made the song, has a habit of doing this. It's definitely weird to the unfamiliar ear.

You should check out my Classics video if you haven't!

Thanks again!

08.02.2012, 06:07 PM jeff44 is offline   Profile for jeff44 Add jeff44 to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks