QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Dreams and Memories
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Dreams and Memories » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Dreams and MemoriesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Because I think I derailed the other topic too far, lol.

Earliest memory I have is probably one when I was three or four. It was one evening and I was looking in from a kindergarten window at my sister who had a sour look on her face.

There also this one dream I had when I was a kid after reading a joke magazine, but there was a drawing of a sad wrinkled face with some caption I can't remember. At around the same time, I had also watched, I think, a movie where the noodles turned out to be worms, and also a ghost movie. Those combined had me in a roadside stall eating noodles, when this guy in white with a sad wrinkled face moved haltingly (like a bad claymation) towards the stall, scooped some noodles into his mouth, and then turned say to me that phrase in the magazine. I promptly got up from my seat and walked away.

The scary thing was that the scene looped several times. And I saw the same dream for several nights (not in a row, luckily).

It actually seems like the earliest memory any one of us had was when they were three. Is it possible to remember any earlier than that, I wonder?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.02.2012, 12:56 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Like you, I wonder about the earliest, verifible memory. Whether it is possible to remember earlier in a cognitive way...

edit:

I searched Bing under "earliest memories" and came up with some results. In one site, there were memories from 2 and earlier, some verified, most not...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.02.2012, 01:39 PM.

08.02.2012, 01:35 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have a few memories from when I was no older than two. A few images, just.

My Anime List

08.02.2012, 01:51 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Kaze... do go on....

additional thought as I was sitting here thinking about the subject. I can differentiate from my 'memory' and 'contributory memory' (can't think of a better word at the moment) in this way.

I was just thinking about it and for those 'Memories' that are mine, I am looking at the scenes from my own perspective.

When remembering a 'contributed memory', I visualize myself in the scene. For example, I was told by my mother that I liked spinach so much as a child (still do) that she came in one evening and found me sitting on the table eating it from the serving bowl with my hands. I was told that I made quite a mess. Now in THAT memory, I can visualize myself sitting on the table with a 'bowl of spinach' amd watching myself eat it. I do not have a clear memory of either the bowl or the spinach, etc. It is like watching a movie of myself.

Whereas, in the other, actual memories, I am seeing things from my point of view... such as how I described the far away doorway. Or in the 'toy top' memory, I can 'see' the top on my bed as I am trying to get it to spin by pushing down on the handle (which was the way it worked). I can 'see' the round things in the operating room, but did not know what they were until later on in life. Just a memory of me on my back, machine with round things and a funny smelling green cloth.

I never thought of that aspect until just now...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.02.2012, 02:16 PM.

08.02.2012, 02:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Most of my childhood memories are largely on toys

I had a lots and lots of toys. most of them were cars.

BUt i only remember one particular car. Because it was huge.

The function were like this its a police car so it runs for a time and then stops then the doors open and two cops come out with guns then some shotting and after that the door closes. It runs again and then the most amazing part happen its backtrunk opens[ its not like regular trunk more like a horizontal window] and guess what a helicopter comes out it fires for sometime and goes back into the trunk. It was the most amazing and expensive toy of myself. As this particular toy did not broke until i was in class one[age 5-6] almost all my childhood memories revolves with it[cause my father bought me this car at the age of 2].

My later memories has some funny parts too.

I am particularly not very fond of memories do not know why, many of my memories often do tricks with me. which i do not like. so unless i am very sure i do not do things from my memory.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

08.02.2012, 02:36 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I rarely remember dreams, I don't think I sleep well enough to have very many? But when I was a kid maybe 6, I had a recurring dream that a little troll guy lived in the basement (everyone called it a dungeon) at the highschool and he would come out at night and drive his little 70's model Ford Granada and take little kids... I think it was because of that movie Cats Eye (the one w/ Drew Barrymore), it scared the crud out of me when I was little & we had a 70's model Granada.
My youngest memory is just of me (maybe 3 or 4 yrs old?) being able to stand under the bar in the kitchen, where the counter hung over- so I could stay out the way while people were cooking and still get to see what was going on.

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

08.02.2012, 03:52 PM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I was reminded of the following event when I read todays article in the news about the 6-YO boy who raised the landing gear on his dad's airplane just as it was landing. It supposedly totaled the plane...

On my very first plane ride at the age of 5, I was traveling by myself and paniced when the prop engines were starting up. I remember a BIG roaring sound. Later, after the stewardess had calmed me down and we were in the air I was invited up to the cockpit of the plane... Yeah, uh-oh! I was sitting on the co-pilots lap as the pilot was doing the actual flying and I was being told what the different things were around me. I remember looking out of the front windows as we were flying and seeing nothing but clouds and mountain peaks. Now this was in 1950 and the plane had a kind of dash (like in a car) with a flat surface on top. Well, I reached up and grabbed something from on top and it was a cup of HOT coffee and it spilled all over the pilots lap... As he was flying the plane, I imagine that it did a little woopsie, but I don't remember that or ever being invited into the cockpit of any other airplanes until I was abt 27 ( I flew a small Cessna 4-seater and a Piper Tomahawk 2-seater with an instructor)... I've told people for years that I'm one of the reasons kids are NOT ALLOWED in the cockpits of airliners when the plane is in the air... lol This was while flying from one airport to another in Canada.

I have a picture of me at around that age in a heavy coat and cap, snow on the ground in front of a big TWA plane, the one with the three vertical stabilizers. A Constllation??? I seem to think that it was a smaller two engined plane that this happened in though...

^^^True story, it really happened. ^^^^^^

While on a cross-country flight from LA to NY in 1999, we had a layover in Kansas City and I was chatting with the pilot and told him my tale. I was then invited to sit in the cockpit (no, NOT on his lap ) and got the introductory tour of the controls...

Of course, that would never happen now after 9/11...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.03.2012, 06:29 PM.

08.03.2012, 06:21 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am suddenly reminded of the movie "Airplane!"

I know my dad used to allow my sis to park the car under his supervision, and that was when she was still in grade school. One day though, she tried to drive the car out of the lot without any adults around.

The reverse gear was still engaged, so when she turned on the ignition... yeah.

Strangely, I don't have a lot of dreams revolving around cars. Certainly do have a lot of memories about them though, mostly bad, lol.

I still remember this one incident when I was in the army in Thailand. The lights weren't automatic, so we had to drive around camp to switch on all the lights in the evening. The vehicle lot was especially big, so I had a habit of just putting the gear to neutral, jump out of the car to flick the switch, and jump back in.

This one time I was doing just that, but I realized that the car wasn't slowing down after a while. To my horror, the car started to rolling towards a steep ditch. A really, REALLY deep ditch.

Sprinted my way over, opened the door and slammed my palm on the brakes. The car's front wheel stopped an inch OVER the edge. Fortunately, the handbrake was within reach of my other arm.

Scary.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.04.2012, 02:00 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

yeah, that would be scary...

HAHAHAHA re ;airplane; I almost added "ala Airplane" in my paragraph just after mentioning sitting on the co-pilots lap... Of course, at the time I had no idea that he was the co-pilot. It wasn't until later that I learned that the co-pilot sits on the right...

As for the car memories, my boss called me from home and said that he couldn't get his little motorhome vehicle started so I drove up to his place. I was underneath and made a BIG mistake... I 'jumped' the starter with a screwdriver... Then I found out why it souldn't start. He still had the automatic shifter in reverse!!! I was still underneath and the RV started backing up so I grabbed the driveshaft with both hands, dug in my heels into the dirt/gravel driveway and hollered for Paul to get out here, NOW!!!! He came out and shut it off and laughed at me for years for my mistake...

They say that an emergency can give you strength and that is true. That RV didn't move more that a foot or so before I had it stopped with my hands around that driveshaft... I don't know how long I could have held it tho so I was glad when Paul came out quickly...

08.04.2012, 04:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller

I still remember this one incident when I was in the army in Thailand. The lights weren't automatic, so we had to drive around camp to switch on all the lights in the evening. The vehicle lot was especially big, so I had a habit of just putting the gear to neutral, jump out of the car to flick the switch, and jump back in.

This one time I was doing just that, but I realized that the car wasn't slowing down after a while. To my horror, the car started to rolling towards a steep ditch. A really, REALLY deep ditch.

Sprinted my way over, opened the door and slammed my palm on the brakes. The car's front wheel stopped an inch OVER the edge. Fortunately, the handbrake was within reach of my other arm.

Scary.

RUNAWAY CAR

LOl

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

08.04.2012, 05:59 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
It actually seems like the earliest memory any one of us had was when they were three. Is it possible to remember any earlier than that, I wonder?

I have a memory of being held in my mothers arms and a smiling nurse giving me an inoculation or an injection - I think it was an injection. I should think I was about 2 then, or maybe even younger.

And yes, I've had a phobia for hypodermic needles ever since.

My first series of comprehensive memories are of a family holiday I went on to Venice when I was 4. The coach trip over the Alps and the city itself made a huge impression on me and I think Venice has remained my favourite city in the world ever since.

I have only managed to return once but it fully lived up to my child's imagination.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.04.2012, 08:15 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@husky: I wasn't aware that you could actually grab the drivetrain like that, not at the speed it spins 0_o

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

Hey Saddle! Look!

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.04.2012, 11:51 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

quote:

Hey Saddle! Look!

hahaha

08.05.2012, 02:22 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
@husky: I wasn't aware that you could actually grab the drivetrain like that, not at the speed it spins 0_o

quote:

Hey Saddle! Look!

In case you missed the first two pics of the l-o-o-o-n-g needle, saddle... lol

Roar, when the vehicle is just starting off in gear, it starts from a dead stand-still then increases speed as it moves along. I was able to fight the engine from the git-go . I don't know how long I could have held it, but I held it long enough... No way could I have gotten out of the way of the front axle and the engine ass'y...

08.05.2012, 04:52 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Needles... o.e

I have pretty vivid memories and can retain a lot of information for long amounts of time, but I still forget where I put things half the time.

I think the earliest memory was of me when I was 1. It was Christmas. I got this yellow toy remote and remember being frustrated it wouldn't turn the TV on, so I started thwacking my father with it. :s

I also remember my various childhood dolls, all of them. When I was 3, I got the majority of my favourite dolls.

At about five, I think, I had these two dolls made out of soft material. It was winter and there was a snowstorm. My mom was on the phone and the lights were dimmed as it was evening. I got out paints and started painting my dolls' faces different colours because I wanted them to be Indians.. I also ate my favourite lip gloss, which was one from Lip Smackers and was in a white tube and was sparkly. Also when I was five, I became very fond of my Japanese teacher, who I called Megumi. She'd always help me fold paper airplanes because I couldn't do it like the other kids.

Something funny I found, from when I was 7 and just recently out of the hospital and back in school from a surgery was a project my teacher assigned us to spin a globe and whatever country our finger landed on we had to do a project on. Guess which country I got? My boyfriend's. It would have been around the same time he was moving to his home country.

08.05.2012, 08:59 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha, pictures of needles have no effect whatsoever. Its when they are in the same room as me and will shortly be pushed into my flesh that the problems start.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.05.2012, 09:46 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I definitely have memories from before I was three years old. I know that because I started pre-school at three, and my earliest memories are well before that, probably one or two. I can't put firm dates on them, but I know that they must have happened prior to being three years old.

When I think back to those times, it all feels very recent actually. I would have expected it to feel like it's in the distant past, but it doesn't. That's kind of scary, because it makes me wonder if my life will feel like it's been short.

My memories are all there in my head, but like old photo albums, I don't usually spend much time looking through them. They aren't forgotten, but they aren't actively remembered unless I put effort in. I wonder, sometimes, how much time should I spend remembering and re-living my past, and how much should I spend on new experiences? I had a pretty fantastic childhood and I think it's important to keep in touch with my younger self, to keep myself honest, accountable, and on track. Plus, my new experiences won't be worth much if I don't remember them later on, will they?

Maybe I should set aside a day each year for compiling and updating my mental archives. Sounds kind of fun

A lot of my more vivid memories are very random or specific things. I can't really think of any reason why I would remember them more than other things... except maybe that they are memories that I have actively remembered in the past.

I remember some dreams, too, from a long time ago. (And recent ones). But I think that the ones I remember best are ones that caused me to think about them afterward, and maybe that I told my friends or parents about, because of how scary or interesting they were. Most of my dreams quickly fade from memory, and some disappear so seamlessly that it feels I'm opening my eyes in the morning only as soon as I've shut them to go to sleep.

08.05.2012, 07:50 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

The thing to do is to make a journal entry of your memories. I didn't until I was in my forties or so... When I wanted to leave some of my memories for my kids...

08.06.2012, 04:38 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Everything I own is usually associated with a special memory. I want to have many special things to give my children someday so they can get a piece of me from years they never knew me.

I'm no hoarder though; all of these are special items, and there's definitely more to come.

08.06.2012, 10:39 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well I just woke up from a series of short stories. The last one was incredibly terrifying, even though I wasn't in the story (or not that I remember). It went by like a documentary.

Supposedly, in '70s, there was a case of murder or kidnapping of a child in a city, where the suspected person was some other guy, but they found a white man called Paul Stipend (who looked incredibly young) guilty because he was seen with the child's doll. Supposedly, at that time, the jury and lawyers were simply labourers and workers pulled together to form a slipshod court.

But it was the sentencing that made it a nightmare. The punishment was to be bricked up in public. Paul was squeezed into a horizontal box, shouting in a frenzied manner (I know I would) on his innocence while men quickly arranged the stones over him. He was then carried to a wall, shoved in, and left there, all the while his agonizing screams echoing away from within.

I'm guessing it has to do with my fear of being confined in a tight space, such as a drain or a tall barrel, without the ability to move my arms and legs. Being tied up doesn't bring about a claustrophobic feeling, and to be honest, it's not the tight space that scares me. It's that hot, stuffy, uncomfortable feeling and the constant irritation of being unable to shift to relieve yourself of the stuffiness which grows more and more irritating to the point of driving you crazy... that's what I'm afraid of.

The earlier stories weren't of the same genre, by the way. One of them was me as a boat patrol, and a senior was telling us about how we only have two chances of getting into an accident before we're fired. I think an earlier one had a jungle setting, lol.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.06.2012, 10:29 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks