QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - I'm going to Japan!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions I'm going to Japan! Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, it's ok, Orphic. XD Anywho, I'll apply for both in the future, just in case. I never considered to apply for both at the same time (because I'm bad at declining things) and I don't know if I'll have enough money for Japan. :B Grr... XD I will try~! And yeah, there are many English speakers in the Philippines. I might get to go during university, but it really depends if I'll get enough money to cover a plane ticket. Plane tickets are really expensive where I live.

No, Roar, he was born in Brunei. XD Yeah, it is kinda like Singapore. He used to speak a dialect of Malay, don't know if he's still fluent in it or not since it's been awhile. His aunt's family are moving here from there this autumn, but their kids were taught only English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunei

EDIT: Can you apply during your last year of university or must you wait until you have your degree?

What grade level are you teaching there, Orphic? My friend's Japanese friend used to cause a ruckus and bully his English teachers because he thought they were incompetent (he's a cocky brat though). One teacher quickly left because he wouldn't stop bullying him, and he felt high and mighty... until his next teacher. She was female. He tried to pull the same tricks on her, but she would act like she didn't understand what he was saying to him, and then if he tried to insult her or do anything or if she overheard him with his friends, she'd reply in fluent Japanese and ultimately was not afraid of him. XD

It made him shut up. I doubt that will happen to you. XD He just needed someone to put him in his place.

EDIT: Also, did your recruiter only allow for you to teach at public schools? I don't want to teach in anything but a public school.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 08.04.2012, 09:25 AM.

08.04.2012, 08:15 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

*scratches head* People think of East Malaysia when they say Malaysia though, didn't know you were referring to Sabah and Sarawak. Meh.

Brunei is a major oil producer, though with the prominence of the arab countries in the trade, I can see how Brunei is often forgotten.

Fast fact: Brunei's currency is tied with Singapore's, so our exchange rate is literally 1:1.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.05.2012, 12:30 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
What grade level are you teaching there, Orphic? My friend's Japanese friend used to cause a ruckus and bully his English teachers because he thought they were incompetent (he's a cocky brat though). One teacher quickly left because he wouldn't stop bullying him, and he felt high and mighty... until his next teacher. She was female. He tried to pull the same tricks on her, but she would act like she didn't understand what he was saying to him, and then if he tried to insult her or do anything or if she overheard him with his friends, she'd reply in fluent Japanese and ultimately was not afraid of him. XD

It made him shut up. I doubt that will happen to you. XD He just needed someone to put him in his place.

that is a good point you said i did not have the guts to say it. sometimes some japs can be like this. some of them still have not forgotten their samurai pride of post world war II

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

08.05.2012, 12:38 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll try to get your questions in order, fff:

1. I applied to both EPIK and JET during my last year of university. It's totally okay, they'll just want you send in a proof of graduation later in the application process. EPIK wanted a copy of my diploma (which was kind of annoying because my diploma didn't come in the mail until almost a month after I'd graduated), but JET was okay with a letter of verification from the university.

2. I don't know yet! The school where I'll be teaching hasn't yet contacted me with that information. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

3. EPIK and JET are both government-run programs, so I'm pretty sure they only offer positions in public schools. As far as I know, there is no chance that you'll end up outside the public school system with either program.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 08.05.2012, 12:46 AM.

08.05.2012, 12:45 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You can always apply directly to private schools though. Don't know about Japan, but Korea has lots of private schools and hagwons advertising for native english speakers.

08.05.2012, 02:22 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yo Orphic do not forget to buy a good camera from japan from sony before you go to ghibli museum

Now as you have mentioned that you are going to japan we[mostly me] will bug you about photos.

So before i forget[ also there is a chance that i will not be available after this month, have to go the university again. there is wifi zone but i do not have a laptop(cause i do not like laptop)] i want to tell you, you have to take pictures from all angles from all corners. There is a 3d panorama in google maps but that just does not give enough. So you have to take all kind of photos from all possible angles.

Although i know i am not particularly favorite here this is my request to you please accept it.

NB: you do not need to tell if you have accepted it or not.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

08.05.2012, 02:22 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
I'll try to get your questions in order, fff:

1. I applied to both EPIK and JET during my last year of university. It's totally okay, they'll just want you send in a proof of graduation later in the application process. EPIK wanted a copy of my diploma (which was kind of annoying because my diploma didn't come in the mail until almost a month after I'd graduated), but JET was okay with a letter of verification from the university.

2. I don't know yet! The school where I'll be teaching hasn't yet contacted me with that information. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

3. EPIK and JET are both government-run programs, so I'm pretty sure they only offer positions in public schools. As far as I know, there is no chance that you'll end up outside the public school system with either program.

Thanks, Orphic. See I'd seen people who didn't know if they could apply during their last year or not. Hopefully I'd get my diploma earlier. XD I'm already in a tizzy with a group I got a scholarship from because they want a letter of enrolment and my school doesn't give out letters for that; ya just go or don't. But they'd definitely verify for me. :3

Ahh, I thought maybe you would have known by now. XD

It's just, from what I've seen of EPIK, since you have to go through recruiters usually (but you can directly apply too to EPIK without one, can work just as well) there are some that specify they only do public schools, do both public schools and hagwons, etc. I really, REALLY don't want to teach at a hagwon. XD Hopefully I'll be able to avoid that, as I know one or two for sure that only do public schools.

Oh, my boyfriend is leaving for his country mid-September, so he'll get to stop by in Japan on the way to switch flights. Hoping the Japanese airport won't take away his Canadian flag chocolates he's bringing for his family (they confinscated his food from before).

08.05.2012, 08:46 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

うらやましい!

That's so awesome, I'm sure you'll have a great time Orphic. JET is something I would absolutely love to do too, but... I don't think I can take the time away from my major...

So, sadly, I must live vicariously through you. Keep a journal!

08.05.2012, 07:54 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mush
うらやましい!

But you're been there before! Whereas poor lil' ol' me is languishing in the dark shadows of these stone walls...

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.06.2012, 05:38 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, but... I can still be jealous...

08.06.2012, 05:50 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Now you two[mush and roar] think about me

08.06.2012, 06:43 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, saviour, but a very long walk and a relatively short swim and you'd be there...

08.06.2012, 06:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I was told by my boyfriend's drunken uncle friend yesterday to go to Japan. XD I found out he lived there for 10 years in an entertainment company and worked as a dancer. He'd been talking fluent Japanese to a Japanese guest that was at his friend's house. One of the girls asked me if I spoke Japanese, but my spoken Japanese is worse than my understanding of the language.

The Japanese woman present got excited when he mentioned I own kimono. She got even more excited I own more than just yukata. hahaha She loved my pictures. XD She hangs out with the Filipino community, although I don't know why. She takes part in all the activities and fundraisers the community is involved with, but I didn't notice her before. O:

So yeah. I thought I'd mention that. XD

08.06.2012, 08:54 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey! I've got a blog up. I actually started one earlier this summer before I knew where I was headed, but I just now switched to Wordpress and changed everything to reflect that I am going to Japan. So that explains why I already have four posts.

08.06.2012, 10:24 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

*is gonna read it like a stalker* :'D

Is Wordpress good? I'm going to start a blog for university adventures. haha And switch it over after. It'll be a mish-mash. I needed something to just talk about school and writing.

08.06.2012, 10:32 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

If you're willing to pay, Wordpress is definitely the route to go. If you want a free blog, it's really a toss up between Wordpress and Blogger, and probably comes down to personal preference.

Wordpress is supposedly more flexible but less user-friendly. The more effort you put into learning everything, the more you'll get out of it, that kind of thing. I really haven't explored it much.

If you check out Theowne's blog, which I'm pretty sure is made with Wordpress, you get a sense of how nice the results can be. Unfortunately I don't think he's ever around here anymore; otherwise I'd ask him for some tips.

08.06.2012, 11:32 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Poorly Titled™

is a registered trademark for you . lol [ is it really? ]

national fruit of my country

got this pic from your first blog

Cambodia is lot like the rural parts of Bangladesh.

and you ate a beetle and a spider leg yack

08.06.2012, 01:37 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Yeah, saviour, but a very long walk and a relatively short swim and you'd be there...

yeah veeeeeryyyyyy eaaaaaaasyyyyyy

08.06.2012, 01:39 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
otherwise I'd ask him for some tips.

do you have html knowledge

if so then i can help you

WordPress is both a website and a framework[like Wikipedia framework] so actually anyone having a domain or not can make site on it.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.06.2012, 01:51 PM.

08.06.2012, 01:41 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanks, Orphic! So Wordpress isn't free? O: I can't pay for a blog right now... and I'm not very good at designing one. XD I just want something easy to put stuff into.

08.06.2012, 02:12 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks