QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Olympics 2012
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Olympics 2012 » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Olympics 2012Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahh so guys, now the Olympics are over I'm really curious to see how people perceived it all. I live really close to London, so even though I didn't actually get tickets to anything I still felt pretty involved. I have to say everyone around here I spoke to were pretty excited about it all and there was a lot of enthusiasm. I was wondering what others thought - particularly those living abroad. I know things like the opening and closing ceremonies were a little controversial in terms of whether they thought they were good/bad. Personally I felt it was a really mixed bag with some sections being really cool and some being just bizarre and kind of irrelevant. What was with all those roller skating nuns?!

So yeah, opinions?

08.13.2012, 08:24 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The part i really liked was in beach volleyball those ***** girls had to wear cloths. Because of the cold weather.

I would vote for London every time only for this reason.LOL

First the opening ceremony:

Beijing Olympic opening ceremony was so shiny that it has become a scale to compare opening ceremonies

Last year cricket world cup 2011 was held in my country and the opening ceremony was held in my country too. Even though it was very different from Olympic still it was compared with Beijing .

i think a lot of you have seen the Cricket World Cup 2011 opening ceremony in Dhaka. if you have not here is a link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket...g-ceremony.html

Stupid ICC hold copyright of it so i can not find any HD links so i am not posting video link.

Search Google if you want to see really.

In London the opening ceremony was good enough catch the eyes of the viewers.

the games:

the games was wonderful. London totally deserves a 5 star for managing the games and its competitors. But some players did not liked over strictness specially celebrity players.

closing ceremony:

Did not saw this one so can't say

audience:

the people were great from my viewpoint.

Prizes:

bad. but London has nothing to do with it i think. Several gold medals broke. and gold medal is actually made of copper[not sure 100%] and actually silver medal is pricey.

Overall:

Good. But it could be much better by making more people interested in the games. Football and Cricket are the most favorite games in England.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.13.2012, 12:56 PM.

08.13.2012, 10:24 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I missed the opening ceremonies and also a lot of the games. I did see quite a bit, though and pretty much enjoyed what I saw. Especially the camaraderie amongst the competitors. The people from different countries holding and congratulating others that competed in the same event...

Overall, I was pleased with what I saw and, while the closing ceremonies were somewhat of a mish-mash, I enjoyed most of it... Laughed at the skating nun with the British flag knickers... And at Eric Idle... All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by all of it, the many thousands of performers and the seemingly mistake free production. When the flame was extinguished, I felt a tear or two, I admit... Loved the "We Will, We Will, Rock You" song and the John Lennon tribute...

Now that it is over, I'm sure that many Londoners will be glad for things (traffic, crowds, etc) to get back to normal...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.13.2012, 01:27 PM.

08.13.2012, 01:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
The part i really liked was in beach volleyball those ***** girls had to wear cloths. Because of the cold weather.

I think you'll find that at the Olympic level the competitors always wear clothing like that. Women don't actually wear bikinis for Olympic beach volleyball in hot countries you know

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.14.2012, 07:56 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:

I think you'll find that at the Olympic level the competitors always wear clothing like that. Women don't actually wear bikinis for Olympic beach volleyball in hot countries you know

I do not know for sure but i think there is a law in beach volleyball that you have to wear biki*** unless the temperature is below this[don't know] point. If the temperature is high enough than you have to wear biki***.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

08.14.2012, 09:34 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

They would do it either way. Clothing restricts movement and promotes chaffing, so the only time athletes dress differently is if there's a dress code, part of their gear like shooting, or compression.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.14.2012, 12:48 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LOL, you don't have to censor the word Saviour, it's not an obscenity.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.14.2012, 01:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't really understand whether it's a big deal if they're in their bikini or not. They're athletes - they're not random bimbos jumping around in minimal clothing for the laughs. If the bikini's are less restricting as clothing than it's justified. Not that in my opinion wearing a bikini at all is wrong, but I know you feel differently

08.14.2012, 01:04 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Are we the only internet community to set up an Olympics thread after the Olympics is over?

I'm not a big fan of the Olympics but i really enjoyed these ones, i was in London for most of it and being around the places where events were held was pretty amazing, the atmosphere was class. Overall they were really entertaining anyway, and its a really nice feeling when your country gets a medal too, it brings everyone together,

08.14.2012, 01:24 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
I don't really understand whether it's a big deal if they're in their bikini or not. They're athletes - they're not random bimbos jumping around in minimal clothing for the laughs. If the bikini's are less restricting as clothing than it's justified. Not that in my opinion wearing a bikini at all is wrong, but I know you feel differently

i think they are random bimbos

you know volleyball and beach volleyball is almost the same sport
[except the sand part]
and i really think they play that game for the laugh[i mean for entertainment]

actually beach volleyball is like wwe or diva in wwe.

[wwe=world wrestling entertainment]

08.14.2012, 01:44 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
LOL, you don't have to censor the word Saviour, it's not an obscenity.

do you know i knew you are going to say this that is exactly why i did that

i wanted to say ******g[imagine a f in the first star] st**d plus another ten thousand bad word then biki*** can not say that all the time so .....

08.14.2012, 02:22 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat

i think they are random bimbos

you know volleyball and beach volleyball is almost the same sport
[except the sand part]
and i really think they play that game for the laugh[i mean for entertainment]

actually beach volleyball is like wwe or diva in wwe.

[wwe=world wrestling entertainment]

No freaking way, saviour... none whatsoever. wwe is a drama put on for the spectators and the girls are part of the show. I haven't watched wwe or anything like that is years because of the faked drama in it. That's why I don't watch these so called 'reality' pawn shop or repo or storage sale shows... it is all just too contrived.

To equate these people with an Olympian Beach Volleyball ATHLETE (whether male or female) is rediculous. It takes years and years of training and hard work to achieve what they do.. With a lot of dedication and spirit...

08.14.2012, 03:54 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahaha oh Saviour. You always do say something controversial!

You have no idea the blood, sweat and tears that goes into qualifying for any Olympic event - be that fencing, gymnastics or yes, beach volleyball. If you think into a lot of the Olympic events many of them seem pretty bizarre and pointless - pole vaulting for instance. What sense is there in using a flexible pole to throw yourself over another pole? However, these athletes train for years because of the tradition of these events. Beach volleyball may seem silly to you but it is still I'm sure a hugely difficult event at Olympic level.

Honestly I would like to see you try and take on a female Olympian in the sport - she would wipe the floor with you.

08.14.2012, 04:01 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw a little of opening ceremony, it was good... Paul McCartney's getting a bit old for these things, but he did well. I didn't really watch much else apart from that, though I did see Usain Bolt get that gold. Seems like a nice guy.

My Anime List

08.14.2012, 05:13 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

@ husky and NC

i definitely agree that it is not a fake sport like wwe but it surely is played to entertain only.

there are dozens of event where competitors use less cloth. like synchronous swimming and gymnastics etc but although i am disturbed i see some point of wearing those cloth as once i used to play football in the defender position.

but in beach volleyball i do not see any. although it is the same game like volleyball why they wear those and the most annoying part is the shouting why in the world do you need to shout like that.

i definitely agree that any athlete whether that she is male or female can easily wipe me out in the floor in his or her sport but not in mine[of course if his sport is the same as mine then he can do that too] pool vault is one of my favorite event and i always liked to do that and it is one of the most difficult thing to do. volleyball i have respect but beach volleyball i do not. if beach volleyball is a sport then i can find millions of sports from around the world . but they do not become one. why?
cause there is no glamour. people like to watch those girls with less cloth.

edit:if someone who is curious that why i am awake in 4.50 am in the morning in my country then the answer is i had to wake to eat sahri.[probably no one is]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.14.2012, 07:06 PM.

08.14.2012, 06:25 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
@ husky and NC

i definitely agree that it is not a fake sport like wwe but it surely is played to entertain only.

but in beach volleyball i do not see any. although it is the same game like volleyball why they wear those and the most annoying part is the shouting why in the world do you need to shout like that.

Because of the excitement of the play and the competition and the scoring of the point against your opponent. It is a release of that excitement. That is why they yell. It is common is a lot of sports. Look at the hammer throw, shot put or javelin and other track events......
----------------------------------------
Look at the name of the game. There is VOLLEYBALL, sometimes played outdoors, but usually in a gym. In a gymnasium you are usually wearing gym clothes, shirts and shorts with pads (if desired) to protect you from the floor. Then there is BEACH VOLLEYBALL, usually played on a (look again) BEACH... And what do the majority of the world's population wear at the beach? swimsuits!!! Of which bikini's are just one example. Even my Muslim grandchildren wear swimsuits at the pool and beach. Just not bikinis... And pads are not needed for knee and elbow protection because you are playing on sand...
----------------------------------------
To entertain, yes, but the players are entertaining themselves because they enjoy the game. They are showing off their skills AND their bodies to some extent, I have no problem with that. Admittedly, I enjoy watching the women play rather than the men, but (and here is a striking point IMO) whether male or female, I am not watching the women's chests or butts or groins or any particular part of their body. I am watching the BALL!! I am watching the flight of the ball, the positioning of the players to intercept the ball's flight and the returns hits. Between the plays, yes, I am watching the players, but I am not feeling any sexual attraction to them, I am simply watching players engaged in their sport and returning to their starting positions. What am I supposed to look at? My toenails???
----------------------------------------------
The clothing they are wearing is comfortable to THEM and that is the important part. If it doesn't meet your conception of correct attire, then that is your problem, not theirs and certainly not mine. If you do not like watching the sport because of their attire there are many others, like football, as you mentioned... (which I took to mean what I call soccer, that my children played).

08.14.2012, 07:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought they did a great job in this Olympics. I agree that some parts of the ceremonies were great (like wow the hilly countryside turning into and industrial area - impressive!), but others not so much haha. Maybe felt like some bits didn't make sense.

Television here has made a huge deal about the Olympics, seems to make a bigger deal about it each time! People were dissapointed that we didn't get much gold, we got a lot of silver but not so much gold. We were in the top 10 though so that was good. Although i don't like how much money we spend on these athletes, some officials were saying that since they spent all this money on the swimmers that they should've brought home more gold lol, i think that's a bit mean.

The legacy of the games seems quite cool too, I like the idea of turning the village into a neighbourhood!

I think we will see great things at the Brazil Olympics like we did in Beijing.

08.14.2012, 10:46 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The main difference between beach volleyball and volleyball is the number of people. Two-a-side severely restricts your options.

And it's a LOT harder to jump on sand, I can tell you that.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.14.2012, 11:41 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saviour...

1. You don't like to watch Beach Volleyball because you think that everyone else is watching for the wrong reasons. Why should that affect your enjoyment of the game?

2. I really enjoyed watching the London Olympic beach volleyball. As a badminton player I really appreciated the strategy and tension on the line. I found it much more interesting than ordinary volleyball because with just two players they really had to rely on each other. And running through sand? I can't imagine doing that myself. It must be exhausting.

3. Can you bring yourself to think or care about something other than what the athletes are wearing? If not, then you're worse than the crowds that you admonish.

Anyway, I think the athletes should just wear what they feel comfortable in, and you shold focus more on what's going on in your own head rather than what you imagine is going on in everyone else's.

08.15.2012, 03:58 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Sorry NC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totally offtopic

@husky

i did not understand what you meant when you are saying my problem and not your problem. I never said that it was your problem or did you mean that you do not find it offensive.

@mush and husky

do you think they wear those because those are comfortable. well then suit yourself.

@mush

my problem is about beach volleyball not about most other sports. And all of you did not answered why even if it is almost the same game as volleyball why it became a olympic sports. And did not answered why other sport do not become one. Like street football is million time fun than beach volleyball but it does not become one. i said i can find out another million fun games but they do not become one. And for what reason do you think a game named s**y beach is made on this sport. Do you not think all of these things are a little bit over coincident.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

when i say something about dress sense why most of you think about sex part. I have said it several times in the women equality thread and saying it again that it does not matter. i do not want to see the body parts of yourself so why are you forcing me to see.[ now do not tell me to turn off my tv]

as i said earlier if you have the right to show your body parts then i have the rights to show my giant alligator or big Gatling gun.

and then you start to say that showing bodyparts to anybody does not hurt.Tell me how does those gatling gun or alligator hurts. then you say that gatling gun or alligator makes you frightened and showing body parts does not do anything. but it does. what if i get angry because i saw someone showing bodyparts and for that reason said something bad about that person in my mind. if you say to ignore i can also say to ignore. if you say me to be patient i also can say you to become brave. Don't you think that is a crime to force me say something bad.

if not why i would not find it racist. cause making you frightened is a crime but making me angry is not.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.15.2012, 04:37 AM.

08.15.2012, 04:16 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks