QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Japanese language
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Japanese language Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ arren: So I should avoid too many pronouns... noted. Mm, now you mention it I remember that しかし is not the best choice. I did want something a bit more conversational. Heh, thanks.

@ Roar: Ah, I was a little unsure whether -ます and -ました were okay mid-sentence. Using -ます is okay, I take it? But I should replace -ました with -たら... And yep, I think you're right about that last sentence.

@ Orphic: Haha, thanks but I don't think it's a very accurate reflection of my vocabulary. I had to look a lot up.

@ Saviour: I would recommend to you using Tae Kim's guide to Japanese:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/

It's completely free and teaches Japanese from scratch (you begin by learning hiragana and katakana, then move onto grammar and kanji). I've used it a bit and so far it seems very good. It's also available as an app and in book form on Amazon if you prefer either of those. Oh, and it has a Facebook group as well.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 05.05.2014, 07:13 AM.

05.05.2014, 07:02 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh yeah I missed the bits with -ます and -ました mid-sentence. I'd say use て form if it's present tense, and either て or たら if it's past. Sometimes either of those implies a causal connection, so if you feel they're not linked closely enough, separate sentences would be better.

05.05.2014, 09:19 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@arren: Don't sweat it. Orphic's mention of the lack of 'no' before "tame ni" I noticed but forgot to mention as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami Using -ます is okay, I take it?
Nope. That extension indicates the end of a sentence unless another conjunction adds on to it, which isn't really all that rare anyway.

Examples of conjunctions that allow usage of -masu forms mid sentence include 'ga', 'kara' and "no de".

”そうと思いましたが、違うらしいです。”

”もう終わりましたから帰りましょう。”

”よく練習しましたので上手になりました。”

On an unrelated note, I have to say I still don't quite get the situations where "no de" is used instead of 'kara'. It's just so seldomly used.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.05.2014, 12:52 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As I know it, "no de" is more formal and also more written. So where one would use "kara" in conversation, in reports or speeches "no de" is more fitting. I encounter both fairly often, but that's largely in a classroom context.

05.05.2014, 01:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
As I know it, "no de" is more formal and also more written. So where one would use "kara" in conversation, in reports or speeches "no de" is more fitting. I encounter both fairly often, but that's largely in a classroom context.

Exactly. It's like us who know proper grammar and word usage, but still use somewhat broken English often in real conversation anyway.

I actually had half a mind to continue this thread purely in Japanese but that would be alienating the rest of the members. Or we could split the post half in English and half in Japanese like subtitles, lol. But some phrases are really hard to translate; for example, in this paragraph, how do you translate "half a mind" anyway?

[testing]

その通り。俺たちと同じ文保や言葉の使い方はちゃんと 分かるんですけど日常の会話に正しくない言い方を使う んでしょう。

実は俺このツレを日本語に続こうと思ったが、ほかのみ んなに除外しちゃうんでしょうじゃないですか。それと もサブみたいに英語と日本語半分半分にしますか。ただ 翻訳できない言葉だったらどうしよう。たとえばこの本 文に、”half a mind”ってどうやって翻訳すればいいと思うんですか。

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.05.2014, 09:17 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, we can try that.

So by coincidence, the kanji Kaz asked about lately (馬鹿) turned out to be among the ones I need to know for a quiz tomorrow. I hope I remember the deer one!

うん、そうしてみよう。

ちなみに、最近カゼ君について聞いた漢字(馬鹿)は明 日のクイズ為分からないといけない漢字で含まられると 気づいた。鹿を覚えればいいな...

Post last edited by arren18 on 05.06.2014, 11:34 AM.

05.06.2014, 11:33 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

uh, konnichi-wa

lol

had to put my 2 cents in...

05.06.2014, 04:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
uh, konnichi-wa

lol

had to put my 2 cents in...

ねみんな、そろそろこのじいさんに日本語を教えましょ うか?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.07.2014, 08:45 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ha Ha, like I can read that, lol...
==============================

yay, google translate, more or less, anyway.

don't know how accurate it is, but here is the translation...

"Everyone, or I'll tell the Japanese to this old man soon I?"

Old man, huh....

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.07.2014, 09:45 AM.

05.07.2014, 09:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

The lack of comprehensible grammar should tell you it isn't a very accurate translation.

理解できる文法の欠如はあまり詳しくない訳文だと表す るはずだよ。

05.07.2014, 10:47 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Oh don't worry husky, it's nothing. Really. I can see how the program can mess up the translation though.

Well here's a hint: 教える, or oshieru can mean "to tell", as the program has tried to use. But it also has a different meaning, which if you can figure it out, can help this conversation to start rolling.

@arren: The japanese sentence sounds rather awkward. In translating, sometimes a direct translation does not necessarily make the best translation. I made that mistake too many times when I was scanlating the two WoTH manga, and have slowly learned to adjust. For example, "lack of compressible grammar" can be changed to "incomprehensible grammar" before a direct translation IMO.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.08.2014, 01:39 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Spungwa
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.21.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know nothing about the Japanese language, but my flat mate is learning. I have seen her watching NHK World http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHK_World, she has been recording some good language programs.

If you are in the UK and on virgin media XL package it is channel 625.

No idea if Sky has it, but i think FreeSat does.

Just thought some of you may be interested.

Spung

05.12.2014, 08:58 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

From what it shows on the Wikipedia page, it seems that Sky does indeed have the channel, as well as satellite companies in other countries. There is also a stream of some kind online, apparently.

05.12.2014, 11:12 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I can't remember if it's NHK or what, but there's one japanese channel on cable in my country that, although dishes out japanese shows, also dubs them so there's close to zero japanese to be heard. Fortunately, the radio has a local japanese program on weekday mornings I tune to occasionally.

NHKか別のチャンネルか覚えてないんですが、うちのカベ ルに日本語のチャンネルなのにダッブしちゃうチャンネ ルですから日本語ほとんどないんですよ。少なくとも平 日の朝のラジオに日本語の番組があるので時々それを聞 きます。

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.13.2014, 11:53 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

kinda like when I was taking Spanish in college. part of our daily homework was to listen to Spanish language radio for at least 1/2 hour a day and Spanish TV for the same...

05.13.2014, 11:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm, I've been listening to NHK news now and then, using the TuneIn Radio app on my phone. I think you can access TuneIn Radio with a computer too... It's really good. You can get pretty much any station anywhere in the world. Loads of Japanese ones to choose from. And it's not just live radio you can get, you can get lots of episodes of various radio shows too. Funnily enough though it seems impossible to get live NHK radio if you're outside Japan. I've tried, but... no success.

My Anime List

05.14.2014, 06:06 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
@arren: The japanese sentence sounds rather awkward. In translating, sometimes a direct translation does not necessarily make the best translation. I made that mistake too many times when I was scanlating the two WoTH manga, and have slowly learned to adjust. For example, "lack of compressible grammar" can be changed to "incomprehensible grammar" before a direct translation IMO.

I was thinking about how to translate Arren's sentence in a way that sounds more like something a Japanese person would actually say casually. Turns out I suck at translating. How would you do it? I was thinking something like:

そんなまったく間違ってる文法の文を詳しく翻訳したわ けないじゃないか。

But of course that's an extremely un-literal translation. I don't envy anyone tasked with translating an entire work from English to Japanese or vice versa. Trying to make it sound natural is so hard.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 05.14.2014, 08:57 AM.

05.14.2014, 08:55 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Ehh, I don't find it that particularly hard. Rule of thumb: don't translate the words, translate the meaning. As for me, I would personally translate it as this:

そのわけも分からぬ文法だけで分かるんでしょう、翻訳 が間違ってることを。

It's way different from what arren said, but the context and meaning remains, informal as the sentence may be.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.15.2014, 02:13 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

I was wondering the same thing as Orphic. While you can definitely do it Roar's less literal way, which I would actually prefer in certain contexts (literature, for example), there are times when I'd prefer to aim for something that conveys exactly all the points from the original statement. As such, I wish I could come up with something that is both closer to what I said in English, and more natural-sounding Japanese.

オールフィックさんと一緒や。確かにロールさんのよう に文字通りじゃない方法もある。実は、とある文脈(例 ば文学)でその方法のほうがいいのに、元々の文の内容 詳しく表したい時もある。従って、英語の文にもっと くても、もっと日本語らしい日本語のような訳文が浮 び上がってほしい。

edit: When I look at this post, some of the characters don't show up properly. In the edit page it's fine, but I wonder if it appears like that for everyone else?

Post last edited by arren18 on 05.15.2014, 07:10 AM.

05.15.2014, 07:08 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm also getting some question marks for some reason.

05.15.2014, 07:16 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
[  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks