QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Japanese language
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Japanese language Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Well, there's you, Orphic, Roar, me... NC? I'm not sure if NC's still learning it. FFF, Cal... Saddles? Plenty of us, anyway.

I've been at the Japanese all day, going over stuff. Taking a break before I break some new ground. About to start chapter 6 of Genki I... Te-form.

Cool, Genki is what we use here! Have you just been going through it on your own? And have you studied much in the way of kanji yet?

06.23.2013, 10:06 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Well, there's you, Orphic, Roar, me... NC? I'm not sure if NC's still learning it. FFF, Cal... Saddles? Plenty of us, anyway.

I've been at the Japanese all day, going over stuff. Taking a break before I break some new ground. About to start chapter 6 of Genki I... Te-form.

Cool, Genki is what we use here! Have you just been going through it on your own? And have you studied much in the way of kanji yet?

Yes, just learning on my own. Friend of mine who studies Japanese gave me digital copies of Genki 1 and 2. I'm not sure if this is the way you're supposed to do it but I study the speaking and writing chapters concurrently, so... I know kanji up to chapter 6. 山、気、食、etc. I'll probably get started on the next batch tonight.

My Anime List

06.23.2013, 10:48 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Doing both sections together is how we did it, so I think that's best! Do you have the workbooks as well? They're good for practice, especially with the kanji. Another thing our class did that I found helpful was used another book as well for kanji. Genki is good, but after a while it gets hard to remember them, and having them come up more than once in different books helped with that.

06.23.2013, 06:53 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hoping to improve my Japanese at least a bit, I went to eBay to see if they had these Genki books and discs you were talking about...

Wow!

There are a bunch of books with 'Genki 1' and 'Genki 2' , but I have no idea which would be best for me. And of course I would want the discs for better pronounciation...

Any help here

06.24.2013, 04:31 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

eBay might make it confusing. It might be better to check a regular shopping site so you can get an idea of what the different books look like. Anyway, there are textbooks and workbooks, 1 and 2, and 1st edition and 2nd edition. As it isn't for a class, I suppose the edition doesn't matter so much. Definitely start with book 1 though! The textbook comes with the MP3s, and contains all the main material and exercises, while the workbook is mostly for practice.

06.24.2013, 08:05 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks arren, I'll do that and believe me, the workbooks will help me...

06.24.2013, 03:25 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I know Mush knows a fair bit since she went to Japan.
Yup, and still learning it! It's kind of just a hobby now since all of my exchange student friends have gone back to Japan, so I don't really have anyone to converse with. But I'm still doing my best to study and practice on my own.

がんばります!

Genki 1 and 2 were good, although I found they were more oriented toward a group than self-study format. There's lots of partner exercises and such. But the exercise books are good, and the back of the book is full of reading practice like short stories, diaries, and well-known Japanese fairy tales.

06.27.2013, 01:50 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wish I could learn Japanese in a classroom setting. :/ I mean, I did.. but I wound up losing interest. >.<

Although it's a fun language. Or maybe it's the people who are fun. What I like most is the varied accents and words. My Japanese isn't very good, although I can understand it for the most part. I just don't know where my drive for learning language went..

I guess it'll return when I can become a teacher. It's sentence structure that discourages me most. It's why I couldn't learn French too.

06.28.2013, 07:55 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Welcome back, FFF, good to see you here...

I can't believe it. This thread didn't cause (IMO) this, but weird anyway, lol

I woke up this AM from a dream about being in japan, living and working there, but newly arrived. I had another person there that I knew, a married woman that I have known a long time. To keep this short, We both had something to do with working there, but traveling on Japanese streets to schools. I was asked at one point to be sure to take a childs meal slip to their school for their lunch as it had been forgotten. ??? (not everything makes sense in a dream) big problrm, I forgot about it until almost too late, driving around madly, trying to find the school that I couldn't remember, going into schools trying to find a school person that spoke English, with no luck, I might add. Then the two of us together somehow, driving finding and trying to order from a drive-in MacDonalds from their menu in Japanese because we didn't have time to go to a regular restaurant...

Problems like how do you order two, number two's with cheese (or something like that)... All I could come up with was "Ni, Ni."

I then woke up, made some coffee and here I am...

lol lol lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.29.2013, 10:02 AM.

06.29.2013, 10:01 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Husky, it almost sounds like you had a dream about Orphic Orkapi's blog! Were you up late reading it?

06.29.2013, 01:08 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Mush
Husky, it almost sounds like you had a dream about Orphic Orkapi's blog! Were you up late reading it?

No, the last post I read was the Photo Dump one. Will for sure read this one when I finish here.

A large part of the dream was driving around, visualizing a map of the area but not knowing WHERE anything was. Like my destinations... lol

Luckily the driving I did in Yokosuka area the routes were familiar to me... Driving my dad's '65 Mustang...

06.29.2013, 05:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey husky, I think my boyfriend's friend lived in Yokosaka for ten years. Pretty sure that was the name of the place.

I wish my friends there lived outside the bigger cities though. I mean, my best friend is from Nagoya, but she doesn't want to live there after graduating since she finds it too small (she might not live in Nagoya exactly, but I just know for a fact she lived somewhere in Aichi prefect).

The Japanese exchange students are either from Hyogo prefect or Kyoto. I'll likely be working one on one with one of the exchange students this fall to help them improve their English.

Ugh but I'm so excited for the day I can eventually go there. Almost everyone of my friends there have been to Japan, so I can't wait for my chance. At least I sort of have "guides". Now I wish the Korean students were open to me as much as the other internationals..

06.29.2013, 11:08 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Does anybody know of good websites for learning Japanese? I looked around the other day and I've bookmarked a few, but I wonder if anybody has experience using things like this? Since I want to work on what I know over the summer, I thought this kind of thing would be helpful.

06.30.2013, 05:52 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Could we have a list of useful words, related to everyday conversations, anime and Ghibli ?

07.15.2013, 04:06 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Does anybody know of good websites for learning Japanese? I looked around the other day and I've bookmarked a few, but I wonder if anybody has experience using things like this? Since I want to work on what I know over the summer, I thought this kind of thing would be helpful.

Japanese Pod 101 is a pretty famous one. I've only used it minimally though. It has a huge, kind of intimidatingly huge, number of lessons, all structured around specific, practical situations; I've heard a lot of people claim it really helps their self-studying. Unfortunately the website presents itself in a way that made me immediately think it was some kind of scam. Trust me, it is a legitimate website which you can use without paying anything. But it's also probably a more useful resource if you pay for some of the various upgrades, which I haven't really explored.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 07.15.2013, 06:22 PM.

07.15.2013, 06:17 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Thanks! I don't think I came across that one, and I certainly didn't look into it. I have a lot of books and stuff as well now, but I'll check out that site if you think it's useful.

07.15.2013, 06:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpideyIncarnated
Could we have a list of useful words, related to everyday conversations, anime and Ghibli ?

We had a short English-Japanese dictionary set up when the Isakaya RPG was going. I'll try and find it and get you a link.

EDIT: Found it. On page 16 I think!

http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/threa...1&styleid=1

I have a much more up to date one on my PC somewhere...

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.16.2013, 11:09 AM.

07.16.2013, 11:02 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I find this so rewarding. Those moments of 'oh my god, I can read more things!' after learning new kanji are just great.

Or maybe I'm just weird. :'D

My Anime List

07.22.2013, 07:37 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I understand that! When you learn to recognise common characters it feels like a real accomplishment, and it is an important thing to learn. Recently I've been composing an enormous list of vocabulary, one item for every kanji in a list of nine hundred and something. Obviously I'm not going to learn them perfectly, but I hope that by practicing my big list I'll at least get to recognise them better!

07.23.2013, 06:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Mush
Baron

I've been using Japanesepod101 for quite a while. It seems like the website layout has changed a lot since I started (and, in many ways, not for the better). But the lessons are very good, and entertaining, and you can pick a skill level that feels right. The format is each lesson is starts with a short role-play dialogue, repeated slowly, and then with a translation, then a discussion about the new grammar and vocabulary that was used. In the intermediate lessons and higher, some of the dialogues become multi-part dramas that span tens of lessons, with plot twists and such. At the beginning levels they're usually simpler. They bring in more experienced voice actors toward the later seasons.

I wouldn't choose them if you want something no-nonsense like a classroom; their presentation is very informal and they frequently go off into tangential discussions about culture points, jokes, and misunderstandings and such. Some people don't like that, since it adds in a lot of English conversation. I find it helps me a lot when it comes to recalling something, and also makes it easier to pay attention.

07.24.2013, 09:11 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks