QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - PLEASE HELP! - Enviromental Messages of Miyazaki
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » PLEASE HELP! - Enviromental Messages of Miyazaki » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.04.12
PLEASE HELP! - Enviromental Messages of MiyazakiPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Megmegs Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am conducting a research project into Hayao Miyazaki for my A-Level film class. The 4 films encompassed are: Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind; Princess Mononoke; Sprited Away and Ponyo.
I have explored the environmental contexts and themes in these films but I need your views!
Are the environmental themes key to Miyazaki's style? Can you think of any screaming examples of pollution and waste in his films? Are there simply other far more important themes?

10.04.2012, 10:50 AM Megmegs is offline   Profile for Megmegs Add Megmegs to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I did this for my A level film class, except i looked at whether it was Miyazaki or the studio itself that could be classed as and Auteur!! So as a film student you should know this included looking at recurring themes that gave them a signature.

So lets look at this environmental theme:

Starting with Spirited away - this film doesn't focus hugely on environmental issues however the examples in there are prominent, starting with the stink spirit that turned out to be a river god, this is evidently a message to people about fly tipping and dumping rubbish in natures gifts to us and about the way we treat that which is pure. The second is the huge down pour of rain, this reflects global warming hugely as we have constant worries across the world that it will lead to flooding and increased rain fall in the future.

next Nausicaa:

this is probably IMO miyazakis most environmentally heavy film, it refers to our relationship with forests and earth in the past and how we treated it, reflecting the way we treat it in reality in the present day, it also looks at it that the way we treat it will lead it to fight back. It also leads to war which we see in the film, e.g. fighting over terrortory that is safe and has the most naturall resources left, reflecting reality and the humans ability to consume everything without thought of repercussions. Also how it has lead to war in the middle east over oil, between countries and within countries. This is hugely important to Miyazaki as he holds very liberal views, an example of this is when Spirited Away won an oscar for best animation in 2003, he refused to attend the ceremony to collect it because America was at war. He quoted soemthing like 'I refuse to go to a country that has no problem in bombing others' it probably isnt exact, but if you want to use the quote nothing a little reasearch wouldnt fix, I am sure it is out there somewhere.

next Ponyo:

Now this looks at how humans treat the earth and the impacts it is haveing on natural hazards and disasters in the world, as scientists believe that the way we are behaving is leading to more earthquakes and threfore more chances of tsunamis (due to more weight on the earth than what there once was putting more pressure on the tectonic plates). This is really it for ponyo, i feel it only really briefly touches on the environmental theme as an underlying subtext to the film.

now Mononoke:

this is huge on the basis of environment, it looks at relationships of people with forests and animals, based alot on japanese myth from thousands of years ago, but it also reflects the reality of going to war over resources that are precious to humans without thought, it emphasises the greed of humans in relation to consumption of earths resources.

Now we have looked at what comes across environmentally in Miyazakis films, in answer to your question is it key to his style? Yes, it creates an expectation, as most people on here will probably agree before they watch a new Miyazaki film they have an expectation of environmental themes to appear in his film. So yes, it definately would be considered to be part of his style, I mean if we look at the amount of films he has directed at Studio Ghibli which is eight, half of them all touch on environmental issues facing us today or will be in the future if we carry on the way we do, the four being the examples you are looking at.

Now, as for more important themes I think most people will agree with me that Flying and Aviation in his films take huge precedence. 6 of his eight films focus hugely on it.

Also the theme of pigs crops up a fair amount and is an important theme.

I will leave the reasearch of why they are important to Miyazaki up to you and hope you enjoy finding out for yourself just as much as I did when I was researching it all.

I hope this all helps, if you need more info just ask and I will do my best to help.

10.04.2012, 12:59 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Can you think of any screaming examples of pollution and waste in his films?

Yes: My Neighbour Totoro. Miyazaki depicts a pristine, idyllic, by-and-large harmonious rural community living cooperatively with nature. I am under the impression that this film is, tacitly, a criticism of modern Japanese society's more material and development obsessions, and serves to highlight of what was lost, such as the "transition areas" or foothill lowlands in the Japanese landscape, where Totoro is set.

10.11.2012, 08:59 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wellll Pom Poko is about how humans destroyed forests to create cities.......

10.23.2012, 08:39 AM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
magicant
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by magicant Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd say mostly all of the Ghibli films encompass the decay of our natural environment and our losing touch with the flow of nature and spirituality.

In my opinion this is why, even some of the films that might not be your favorite, they still have an impact on you in some way, shape or form. I am moved every single time I re-watch the destruction of Laputa, Nausicaa's decent into the pure, underground caverns, or the sorrow of the near-homeless raccoons in Pom Poko.

As to this message being key to Miyazaki's films and their overall meaning? I'd say it is. Looking past the cliches of love, coming of age and good v.s. evil, the environmental/spiritual message involved is relate-able to any viewer of these movies. Even when I was younger watching Howl's Moving Castle, the pointless destruction and pollution was very present in my feelings. The scene where Sophie walks over a train bridge and is engulfed in black smoke was powerful, even if it wasn't relevant to the main plot at all.

10.24.2012, 11:12 PM magicant is offline   Profile for magicant Add magicant to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks