QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Any anime like Totoro and Kiki?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Any anime like Totoro and Kiki? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.27.12
Any anime like Totoro and Kiki?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by pavelh Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi and thanks for reading my post!

Totoro and Kiki are two anime I love most. I was wondering if there are perhaps some other anime similar to these two (I can't watch them over and over again )? Could anybody out there kindly point me to something like that (provided any such anime actually exists), pls?

I would like to point out what I like about the two and what I am looking for:
-non-violent (for example I like Laputa a lot, but it does not satisfy me the way Totoro and Kiki do and it is because of its violent action)
-about childhood (not necessary but it is a plus)
-some level of profoundness (probably hardest to describe; although I am looking for something non-violent, I am certainly not looking for 'Barbie and Carefree Teddy Bears Sunny Weekend' )

Exclusions (mostly anime that might fit my description but I am already aware of them):
anything from Ghibli
Goshu the Cellist
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Whisper of the Heart
Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The
Cat Returns, The

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards

Pavel

10.13.2012, 06:36 AM pavelh is offline   Profile for pavelh Add pavelh to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey there, welcome to the Tavern!

You could try "5cm per Second" and "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" both by Makoto Shinkai. His themes tend to be lost love and very bittersweet, not sure if that is what you are looking for. The first movie is 3 short stories focussing on middle-school aged kids and the second revolves around a love triangle of 2 schoolboys and a girl who drift apart after leaving school but during university age come back into contact again in strange circumstances. Its set against the political and military backdrop of an alternative universe Japan set slightly in the future. There is little to no violence but there is good character development and depth and superb imagery. Shinkai's animation is some of the finest out there, if not the finest, his camera angles and lighting is stunning.

You could also try "Junkers Come Here" by Junichi Sato, a story about a young girl who is being pulled apart by stresses in her family and has a crush on her tutor ...who is getting married. She finds solace in her pet dog, who magically can talk to her.

I was surprised you didn't like Whisper of the Heart, maybe its a fantasy style setting you prefer rather than the contemporary world?

Was it specifically moves you were interested in and not TV series?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.13.2012, 07:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He didn't dislike WotH, he's just aware of it already.

Try "Like the Clouds, Like the Wind" and the more recent "Wolf Children". Both has some violence: the first is about a brewing war while the latter has one rather rough fighting scene between wolves.

There's this one anime movie I saw a long time ago when I was a child that might fit the bill also, if you can find the title (I couldn't). The story is about a strong boy who wanders around with a large pile of paddy stalks on his back, spreading rice seeds I believe. To bring rain, he drums up a rain dance, calling upon the rain and thunder gods.

That's what I remember from my childhood. It left a pretty strong impression on me, so I'd like to rewatch it too myself.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.13.2012, 10:29 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mai Mai's miracle would be my first -and enthusiastic- recommendation.

Honorable mentions to "Junkers come here" (more adolescence than childhood, perhaps too slow-paced for many), "Summer Days with Coo" (some violence), "Like the clouds like the wind" (some violence and adult themes), "Jarinko Chie" (some slapstick and gross humour).

Also the Takahata pre-Ghibli series: "Heidi", "Marco", "Anne of Green Gables".

10.13.2012, 12:21 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
pavelh
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.27.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by pavelh Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks everyone for replying!
I will be checking out the movies as time allows. I am very tahnkful for your help. Your tips may lead me to discovering new filmmakers whose work it might be interesting to follow.

so far:
Mai Mai's Miracle - seems very interesting, thanks!
Wolf Children - I am aware of them, but they don't play in the theatres here :-/ Awaiting a disc release.
Heidi - only saw some episodes in German (I can only swear and ask for love in this language ), thanks for reminding me about it
Anne of Green Gables - you probably refer to the older anime version that has Anne in a carriage during ending credits (at least I think). That's trully a very good one! Love the series. Excellent work there.

I will be checking the rest ASAP. Thanks again to everyone for chipping in!

Best regards,

Pavel

10.14.2012, 07:51 AM pavelh is offline   Profile for pavelh Add pavelh to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks