QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Howl's Moving Castle Release in UK Date?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Howl's Moving Castle Release in UK Date? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.01.05
  Howl's Moving Castle Release in UK Date?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by CloudStrife Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah been waiting an age now! didn't realise it had already come out in the states, I though with the massive success of Spirited Away, Miyazaki next film would be highly advertised. Anyway I've heard rumors of September anyone got anymore than that?
Thanks

08.01.2005, 11:18 AM CloudStrife is offline   Profile for CloudStrife Add CloudStrife to your buddy list
Aliceface
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.25.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Aliceface Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

September 1st is the last I heard...yay, can't wait!

08.01.2005, 11:50 AM Aliceface is offline   Profile for Aliceface Add Aliceface to your buddy list
CloudStrife
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by CloudStrife Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ok cool!
What about the Nausicaa DVD release? It says on the official site that it was supposed to come out last autumn I think...

OK! Amazon.co.uk have recently put up both Nausicaa and The Cat Returns as pre orders to be released on Sept 26th yay!!1

Post last edited by CloudStrife on 08.04.2005, 11:15 AM.

08.02.2005, 06:36 AM CloudStrife is offline   Profile for CloudStrife Add CloudStrife to your buddy list
randorp
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by randorp Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i saw it in the U.S its out over here/ i thought it was already out over there? howls castle?

Post last edited by randorp on 08.04.2005, 12:00 PM.

08.04.2005, 11:59 AM randorp is offline   Profile for randorp Add randorp to your buddy list Send an Email to randorp Homepage of randorp AIM Screenname: FireFox1012
CloudStrife
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by CloudStrife Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

no unfortunately we still haven't received Howls Moving Castle to cinema or The Cat Returns, Porco Rosso or Nausicaa to DVD!
September though its the big Miyazaki month!

08.04.2005, 03:51 PM CloudStrife is offline   Profile for CloudStrife Add CloudStrife to your buddy list
project2501
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.16.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by project2501 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi this is project 2501

maybe is it not important but in germany the release of the Nausicaä DVD is on September 5th.
Its to long

08.09.2005, 07:37 AM project2501 is offline   Profile for project2501 Add project2501 to your buddy list Send an Email to project2501 Add project2501 to your contact list
howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.09.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by howl_chan_wa_kawaii Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Somehow September would surprise me, considering it isn't supposed to be released in Japan until at least November.

If you see anyone claiming to have it now, it is most likely a fake. Save your money, sit tight, and buy from Amazon, buy.com, or some other trusted seller, so you don't end up with a fake.

sekai no yakusoku.
- Promise of the World

-- Why did Chihiro have to let go of Haku's hand? Why Chihiro do you make me cry buckets of tears?... sob--

Please report pirated Ghibli/Disney products: tips@disneyantipiracy.com or the confidential Antipiracy voice mail hotline, 818-560-3300.
Please protect Mr. Miyazaki's works.

My Howl's MC viewing addiction - final theatre count: 11 showings

08.22.2005, 03:12 AM howl_chan_wa_kawaii is offline   Profile for howl_chan_wa_kawaii Add howl_chan_wa_kawaii to your buddy list Send an Email to howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

According to IMDB, the UK release date for Howl is 23rd September. It will probably be a limited theatrical release. The DVD release should be much later than that.

08.22.2005, 05:05 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
CloudStrife
Susuwatari

quote:
Originally posted by howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Somehow September would surprise me, considering it isn't supposed to be released in Japan until at least November.

If you see anyone claiming to have it now, it is most likely a fake. Save your money, sit tight, and buy from Amazon, buy.com, or some other trusted seller, so you don't end up with a fake.

We're talkin about the theatrical release not the DVD

08.22.2005, 08:15 AM CloudStrife is offline   Profile for CloudStrife Add CloudStrife to your buddy list
howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by howl_chan_wa_kawaii Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry, got confused. Most of the illegal DVD sales are from the UK so I figured the theatrical release was over. Thanks for clarifying. *blush*

sekai no yakusoku.
- Promise of the World

-- Why did Chihiro have to let go of Haku's hand? Why Chihiro do you make me cry buckets of tears?... sob--

Please report pirated Ghibli/Disney products: tips@disneyantipiracy.com or the confidential Antipiracy voice mail hotline, 818-560-3300.

08.22.2005, 02:31 PM howl_chan_wa_kawaii is offline   Profile for howl_chan_wa_kawaii Add howl_chan_wa_kawaii to your buddy list Send an Email to howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Unreal
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.23.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Unreal Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

has anybody seen it? whats the movie like?

08.23.2005, 07:27 PM Unreal is offline   Profile for Unreal Add Unreal to your buddy list
howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Tanuki

Wow, that's tough question to answer without any spoilers.
Maybe I'll try to give a little of my perspective of it, also with tidbits from and online review I wrote a while back. Hopefully it is not too long to bore you - and then of course, you can decide for yourself.

Despite the fact that I think Spirited Away was a better movie, just because it was a marvel of artistry and story and spirit, I've seen Howl in the theaters.. erm.. 9 times. Unhealthy obsession? You decide.
- Spirited Away really touches your soul. I guess Howl touches your heart.

Enough of my sappiness, onward!

The storyline briefly, is about a young girl, Sophie Hatter, who encounters a mysterious young wizard named Howl. (Chance encounter, or fate?) The jealous Witch of the Waste transforms Sophie into an aged woman. This takes Sophie on a journey where she discovers Howl's Moving Castle, a host of other interesting characters, and Howl himself, the enigmatic wizard to which her fate is entwined....

Now, what to expect:

If you have read Dianna Wynne Jones's novel -
Fans of the novel should know that this movie is loosely based, and "loosely" is a good word. The story does deviate much from the book. But before those loyal to the novel start screaming in outrage, it is good to note that Miyazaki creates a beautiful story separate of Diana Jones, using her much loved characters, and in my opinion, enhances them, adds a bit of visual magic, and adds to their appeal. And a final note to hopefully mollify the novel-faithful, Diana Wynne Jones herself was very pleased with the outcome of the movie and Miyazaki's rendition of her works.

What to expect given its by Miyazaki:
Pheonomenal artwork. You can see Studio Ghibli's animators' talents in amazing detail - from the beautiful landscapes (the studio capitalized on their artists who were trained in impressionistic artwork), gorgeous scenery, and the beautiful color, character drawings that can display so much emotion without words, and creativity that unfortunately cannot be seen in much of mainstream animation today.
..er don't forget Miyazaki's "famous endings" though.. that happens too.

What to expect given the score was composed by of Joe Hisaishi:
Music so lovely it will sweep you off your feet.

The movie is like Spirited Away in that its not dumbed down and anything that is unclear, you kind of need to think on your own.

The English dubbing is almost identical to the Japanese version and the voice characterizations by the American actors were really really good. Its not based off of a Miyazaki story so I didn't think it was too weird to see it in English.

Wow, if you made it this far, congrats! Enjoy the movie! It's "heart-warming". And be patient - don't buy bootlegs! (Can you tell I love the movie?)

Cheers!

sekai no yakusoku.
- Promise of the World

08.24.2005, 06:45 AM howl_chan_wa_kawaii is offline   Profile for howl_chan_wa_kawaii Add howl_chan_wa_kawaii to your buddy list Send an Email to howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Unreal
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.23.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Unreal Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

^ Thanks, im looking forward to seeing it now

08.24.2005, 07:42 AM Unreal is offline   Profile for Unreal Add Unreal to your buddy list
FLCL
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.25.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FLCL Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was lucky enough to see this on it's release in Japan (filled up on pathetic hal bits and bobs in the lobby, a cuddly toy of the flame guy sits in my fireplace) and saw the uk version recently at a press screening.

The UK dub was pretty disapointing.

Great film but a bit wierd

08.25.2005, 08:14 AM FLCL is offline   Profile for FLCL Add FLCL to your buddy list
Aliceface
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Aliceface Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not sure if this is any use, but for UK people near Manchester Howl's Moving Castle is playing from th 28th of September at the Cornerhouse cinema.

09.02.2005, 07:22 AM Aliceface is offline   Profile for Aliceface Add Aliceface to your buddy list
brenster
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.14.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by brenster Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Aliceface
Not sure if this is any use, but for UK people near Manchester Howl's Moving Castle is playing from th 28th of September at the Cornerhouse cinema.

HMC opened yesterday at the Cornerhouse (Fri 23rd Sept), and is playing with the original Japanese dialogue with English subtitles.

The best £5.20 I've spent in a long, long time!

Brendon

09.24.2005, 05:16 PM brenster is offline   Profile for brenster Add brenster to your buddy list
Aliceface
Kodama

Um yeah, I realised I got the date wrong but didn't bother posting because I didn't think anyone was paying much attention anyway!
I'm going on thursday! YAY!

09.25.2005, 02:55 PM Aliceface is offline   Profile for Aliceface Add Aliceface to your buddy list
brenster
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.14.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by brenster Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Aliceface
Um yeah, I realised I got the date wrong but didn't bother posting because I didn't think anyone was paying much attention anyway!
I'm going on thursday! YAY!

You will ADORE it, I'm quietly confident! The impact of seeing it on the big screen cannot be overstated!

Ahem! I'll go and have a lie down someplace and try and calm down...

Brendon

09.25.2005, 05:01 PM brenster is offline   Profile for brenster Add brenster to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks