QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Japanese Music
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Japanese Music » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Japanese MusicPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anyone listen to Japanese music?

I am now pretty much a confirmed Shiina Ringo addict. She is my hero and I want to be just like her when I grow up. I also really like Boredoms, but they are definitely more on the experimental side of things.

Shiina Ringo videos are really difficult to find on Youtube for some reason, but here are some I've dredged up:

Yami ni Furu Ame, maybe my favorite music video of hers (that I've found), pity the quality's so poor

Yokushitsu and Tsumi to Batsu, two great live performances (from the same concert I think)

Nyuusui Negai, a live performance with Tokyo Jihen, the band she formed after her third solo album

Anyway, share your interest in Japanese music!

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.04.2013, 11:15 AM.

01.04.2013, 10:40 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I may not understand what is being said, but none the less I really enjoy the music. Definately something I could get into!

I have always been into indie music, although with the sort of music that comes out of England nowadays being of very poor quality and not very enjoyable to listen to because it is no more than a bunch of people who can't sing out to make a quick buck, but have to be autotuned to the high heavens just to be able to do so!

I fing I enjoy Indie stuff much more.

01.04.2013, 03:49 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm huge Utada Hikaru fan, but she's quite well-known I think, so I probably don't have to provide any links. I'll have to check out Shiina Ringo!

On the rock end of things, I think Radwimps and Bump of Chicken are very cool.

And I think Susumu Hirasawa is amazing and completely unconventional.

01.04.2013, 05:43 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Susumu Hirasawa is amazing! I'm really only familiar with his soundtracks though (he did a bunch of stuff with Satoshi Kon), so I'll have to look into his other material.

I liked Radwimps quite a bit, particularly that last song. I know Utada Hikaru is a huge deal, but whenever I try to find songs of hers on Youtube I feel like I end up finding bad English-language sell-out tracks or something. I'll try to find some of her earlier stuff.

I've heard a lot about Bump of Chicken, I'll have to look into them more.

More Shiina Ringo! Her best albums are Shouso Strip and Karuki Samen Kuri no Hana, but the Tokyo Jihen stuff is really good too.

NOTE: Not sure how I feel about the possibly fanservicey aspects of the last video, but the song is really growing on me (her high-pitched wail takes some getting used to, I think).

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.04.2013, 11:32 PM.

01.04.2013, 10:17 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just prefer music that isn't being screamed or yelled at me... Same reason that I dislike a lot of modern American music. I prefer music that I can listen to the lyrics and sing along with if I choose... like country or folk songs...

01.05.2013, 04:48 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Shiina is not for everyone. Especially if you don't like being screamed at. To each his own. I like a lot of country and folk, too.

I just love how she sings with so much passion. Those bits where she gets all intense and scary-eyed . . . they kill me. You can tell she's really putting her heart into it.

I found some Utada Hikaru stuff I like better. For some reason I find the stuff she sings in Japanese more enjoyable, not really because of the language (although it's harder for me to detect lame lyrics in Japanese), but because it sounds less like an imitation of American mainstream R&B. Her J-poppier stuff sounds more unique.

For those interested in the way out-there music of Japan, I give you Boredoms.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.05.2013, 07:57 AM.

01.05.2013, 07:50 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Now, I quite like that a bit outerspacey loud, but otherwise ok...

haha, loud, he says... Me, who likes sitting in the front row at a Taiko concert... One of the medium size drums was about 3 feet from my right knee... there were 10 or 12 drums in all and the one firtherest from me was only about 40 feet away in a room about 80 feet by 30 feet... I was in seventh heaven!!!
goes over and puts a taiko cd in the player...

I do like intrumentals. I once had an LP of Beatle tunes all done instrumentally... It was beautiful...

01.05.2013, 02:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Near the later third of 2012 i started getting into Jpop. I really like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, and Perfume!

wooo jpop

I'm keen to explore more jpop.

01.06.2013, 02:30 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Oh my god, I'd never seen that Ponponpon video before. That is the most, um, intensely Japanese thing I have ever witnessed.

01.06.2013, 05:16 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Calforsale... Are you very closr to those fires in Tasmania??? Hopefully you are clear of those and any others...

Not topic, I know, but I wanted to be sure of calf seeing this...

01.06.2013, 05:20 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Mush, love the Radwimps. Such warm, gentle vocals ^^

PonPonPon was so big. I don't like Perfume, though. Or really any of the generic girlbands in jpop.

And I listen to way too much music for anything like a list of favourites... but here's the Japanese stuff I've listened to recently:

Pastel Blue (shoegaze/dreampop stuff)

Utada's new stuff

Folky stuff

Saito Kazuyoshi

70s music, it's kind of stripped back and so soulful

Hitori Bocchi, which never gets old!

Yoshida Bros, AMAZING traditional music

Salyu = easy listening ^^

Miu ... so upbeat easy listening

Syrup16g, more alt rock?

Maaya Sakamoto <3

Egoist <3

Androp... which is pop-rock

Amazarashi

Lol this list is never-ending. I'll stop there. ^^ There's also huge amounts of V. Kei and boy/girlbands that can be fun if you're into it.

01.06.2013, 06:20 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Thanks for the mega-post. I liked pretty much all of the stuff you linked to. Out of curiosity, is this the same Salyu? Because apparently she got super experimental and awesome. Or maybe "salyu x salyu" is someone different.

Both Sakamotos (Miu and Maaya) have really pretty voices.

Speaking of pretty voices, I totally forgot about Morita Doji, a folk singer from the 70s. All of her music has this really lovely melancholic quality. Here's a whole album of hers (not my personal favorite but the only one I can find in its entirety), and a few individual tracks.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.06.2013, 07:44 AM.

01.06.2013, 07:42 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Always happy to share the love ^^

Yep, Salyu x Salyu is a side project of Salyu's. That's how I found her actually. And I agree it's awesome xD She's got another one: Lily Chou-Chou.

Aaand if you want pretty voices there's Ayaka, Kumaki Anri, Onitsuka Chiharo... maybe more powerful than pretty but eh, and Obata Minako.

Are you into instrumental experimental stuff? Try this album by World's End Girlfriend. Um Midori Hirano too ... and something with lyrics xP.

How experimental do you like your experimental xP cause there is some bizarre stuff out there!

Hadn't heard of Morita Doji before, thanks!

Final links: Polaris and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUj4bzvw3eE

01.06.2013, 08:40 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Okay, I absolutely LOVED the World's End Girlfriend one (well, the first ten minutes of it at least, I haven't listened to the rest yet) and the Midori Hirano song. I will definitely be looking into those two artists. Both are right up my alley.

Salyu also sings this song, which I'm only familiar with because it was in a Professor Layton game. It's great though. Yep, she's cool. (Have you seen the movie All About Lily Chou-Chou? I've only heard about it...)

I can handle pretty much anything when it comes to experimental music. I actually like this band, for example. (Serious insanity warning.) Generally I like pop music better when it's got a little weirdness thrown in (which is why Shiina Ringo is my new musical hero; she's great at mixing catchiness with experimentalism).

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.06.2013, 09:36 AM.

01.06.2013, 09:30 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Completely offtopic sorry orphic okapi
how are you by the way. I think you are enjoying Japan very much.

To my topic

I am seeing from the start that you guys watch or listen a great variety of stuff that you love whether from country or foreign.

Such as i like Linkin Park, Iron Maiden , Backstreet Boys as band now although they are of different genres they have a common thing that all of the songs they sing are mostly on emotions of life and society.

Now even if i like them i do not know a lot about them cause it is timeconsuming.

Question is how do most of you keep track of what you listened as they are so unique and even many of them are of different language. I mean you are soo busy doing what you are doing (studying,working) how do you get time.

I am so busy in my uni that i was never in my life. Now i do not even have time to come here to make some posts.

How do you manage. I am really surprised. Anime ,Movie, Songs ,manga plus frequent YouTube visit.

Sorry for the stupid post i writing from mobile with eyes half closed.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

01.06.2013, 12:10 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@saviour -- I often listen to music while I work or study. I find it less distracting than the sound of my own thoughts. If I find something I like online, I'll bookmark it. If it's on the radio, I usually forget it until I hear it again somewhere else. But either way, I rarely just listen to music without doing anything else at all.

But yes, being busy with school really eats away at everything else. That's why I often stop posting here too. Good luck, and don't stress too much!

@Orphic -- I agree; Utada Hikaru is way better in Japanese. [URL=Here's]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ta0vEnki9E[/URL] some good ones in particular. I like her live version of "Can't Wait 'Till Christmas" the most but it doesn't seem to be on youtube. So relaxing though!

@fen -- Wow, those are so good! And I agree, hitori bocchi never gets old. So much more for me to explore now!

01.06.2013, 02:00 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I probably differ from the majority of you in what type of Japanese music suits me. XD Actually, most of the stuff I like, not even my Japanese friends have heard of (but they also find it kind of dark.. yet they seem amazed I know these bands).

I lean more towards Jrock, even though some of those in this category aren't really rockers at all. XD I also like some more indie music (but I lean more towards Korean indie than anything).

Pura - Buraku Piano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsob4-5oolA

BUCK-TICK - Galaxy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOfxUW07ZOM

9GOATS BLACK OUT - Negai (this band is indie.. I think, or at least they were)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duUZe7QNSYw

X - Endless Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztvMwmPaByg

These are some that I still listen to (well, not 9GBO so much anymore, but Pura, X, and BT are my ultimate favourites... and are really different from one another). X is the most famous of the three, while Pura is relatively unknown.

01.06.2013, 08:01 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lately, I've been into the Japanese pianist, Hiromi Uehara: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbjJI7qK-UA

Check out my music:

01.06.2013, 08:40 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Calforsale... Are you very closr to those fires in Tasmania??? Hopefully you are clear of those and any others...

Not topic, I know, but I wanted to be sure of calf seeing this...

Thanks husky. Im luckily not near Tasmania where the fires has hit hard on some farms. There have been some fires starting in various parts of Australia, not too big yet, but the heat is so high and we've had rain lately so its really perfect weather for fires!

01.07.2013, 10:15 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

stay safe my friend, both you and Farren...

01.07.2013, 01:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks