QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Kid, Teen and Adult ghibli
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Kid, Teen and Adult ghibli » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Jertin2
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.23.13
  Kid, Teen and Adult ghibliPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jertin2 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well I've only recently gotten into ghibli movies after seeing a ponyo commercial and having a "they made spirited away" moment since that was my favorite child-hood movie. Well now I'm a teen and I've seen Princess Mononoke as well and feel there is a division of movies that are made for kid audiences specifically like Totoro and Ponyo. How would everybody here classify the ghibli movies by age group?Other than it being interesting to see what age group people think a movie is for, I would appreciate it to get a good idea of which movies I'll appreciate more at my age.

Post last edited by Jertin2 on 01.23.2013, 07:34 PM.

01.23.2013, 07:34 PM Jertin2 is offline   Profile for Jertin2 Add Jertin2 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll have to think about this for a bit because I'm 66 yrs old and I love ALL of the Ghibli Studio films and have for as long as I can remember...

Welcome to the Tavern, Jertin2

01.23.2013, 10:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm pretty sure SA wasn't specifically targeted at kids though?

That said, very few ghibli movies, if any, are intended for kids; actually, Ponyo is probably the only one that falls into that category as Totoro is more of a family movie (kinda like Toy Story).

Personally, I'd prefer to look at movies by their genre rather than their target audience. After all, even the most kid-centric movie can generate a large adult audience.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.24.2013, 02:51 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought Miyazaki said all of his movies were made for kids, with the exception of Porco Rosso. I'm also pretty sure he said SA was made for 10 year old girls.

Takahata, on the other hand, makes his movies pretty exclusively with an adult audience in mind, I think.

Nausicaa, Laputa, and Mononoke can all get pretty violent, so I guess I'd wait until my theoretical children were 12 or 13 to show those.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.24.2013, 03:57 AM.

01.24.2013, 03:57 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The specific quote (translated) is actually, "For those who are ten, for those who were ten, and for those who will be ten."

So, no. Not for kids.

Also, I remember an interview script from Miyazaki (related to SA, I think) who mentioned that he made the movies for the enjoyment of everyone and not for any one particular group, regardless of the genre. Have to dig it up though, if anyone can still find it.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.24.2013, 11:34 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller

Also, I remember an interview script from Miyazaki (related to SA, I think) who mentioned that he made the movies for the enjoyment of everyone and not for any one particular group, regardless of the genre. Have to dig it up though, if anyone can still find it.

Something of the sort on the 2-disk Nausicaa set special features.

01.24.2013, 03:32 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here are the quotes that led me to believe Spirited Away was made for ten-year-old girls:

"We have made 'Totoro,' which was for small children, 'Laputa,' in which a boy sets out on a journey, and 'Kiki's Delivery Service,' in which a teenager has to live with herself. We have not made a film for 10-year-old girls, who are in the first stage of their adolescence. So, I read the shoujo manga such as Nakayoshi or Ribon which they left at my mountain cabin.

I felt this country only offered such things as crushes and romance to 10-year-old girls, though, and looking at my young friends, I felt this was not what they held dear in their hearts, not what they wanted. And so I wondered if I could make a movie in which they could be heroines..."

and

"What made me decide to make this film was the realisation that there are no films made for that age group of ten-year old girls. It was through observing the daughter of a friend that I realised there were no films out there for her, no films that directly spoke to her."

In regards to Miyazaki's target audience:

"So you feel that the films you make are all aimed at children?

I never said that Porco Rosso is a film for children, I don't think it is. But apart from Porco Rosso, all my films have been made primarily for children. There are many other people who are capable of making films for adults, so I'll leave that up to them and concentrate on the children.

But still there are millions of adults that watch your films and who get a lot of enjoyment out of your work.

That gives me a lot of pleasure, of course. Simply put, I think that a film which is made specifically for children and made with a lot of devotion, can also please adults. The opposite is not always true. The single difference between films for children and films for adults is that in films for children, there is always the option to start again, to create a new beginning. In films for adults, there are no ways to change things. What happened, happened."

Links:
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/sen.html
http://www.midnighteye.com/interviews/hayao-miyazaki/

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.24.2013, 06:28 PM.

01.24.2013, 06:26 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Jertin2
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.23.13
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jertin2 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I probably created the big difference in my mind between kid and adult movies when I saw the guys get their arms ripped off but I guess it wasn't bloody or anything, maybe that makes ghibli the best studio for kids after all since they don't mess around and treat someone like they are stupid.

It all works out because people who want to enjoy movies like this are always kids at heart eh?

01.24.2013, 06:41 PM Jertin2 is offline   Profile for Jertin2 Add Jertin2 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, that's me... just a big ol' kid...

01.25.2013, 12:56 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Hmm, that's very different from what I remember. Maybe Takahata or Toshio who said that?

Meh, I'm getting senile.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.25.2013, 12:18 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In my modest opinion there will always be somebody in a different age group who enjoys films aimed at a younger/older audience, And vise versa.

However i would say that some Ghibli films *Quite notably Princess Mononoke* are more "deep" and "Violent" Than others. I could come up with some examples, Such as Muska aiming his gun and quite obviously not afraid to shoot it at Pazu and Sheeta in Laputa.

01.25.2013, 04:49 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Not to mention actually shooting at Sheeta and causing the deaths of all those soldiers...

01.25.2013, 06:12 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome Jertin2. This is how I see Miyazaki's movie's (as has been said, none of Takahata's movies are really for children)

Children's movies/Family movies (age 3 up)
My neighbour Totoro
Kiki's delivery service
Ponyo on the cliff by the sea

Movies for older children (age 6/7 up)

Laputa, castle in the sky
Porco Rosso
Spirited away
Howl's moving castle

Movies for teens/adults (age 10 up)
Nausicaa of the valley of the wind
Princess mononoke

01.28.2013, 08:01 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by hopexx5
In my modest opinion there will always be somebody in a different age group who enjoys films aimed at a younger/older audience, And vise versa.

However i would say that some Ghibli films *Quite notably Princess Mononoke* are more "deep" and "Violent" Than others. I could come up with some examples, Such as Muska aiming his gun and quite obviously not afraid to shoot it at Pazu and Sheeta in Laputa.

I agree that the scene in Laputa is violent, but I don't think it's any worse than in most western children's movies

01.28.2013, 08:03 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I never said that Porco Rosso is a film for children, I don't think it is. But apart from Porco Rosso, all my films have been made primarily for children.
From the context, it sounds like it's an interview that was not long after Porco Rosso was released in 1992. Princess Mononoke was from 1997, so it's quite possible that Miyazaki didn't target that one at children either. At least, I hope not... I would put a more mature rating on that one than most of his other films

Laputa probably has the highest body count of the Ghibli films, but I think it's appropriate for fairly young audiences still. I think some movies like Lupin III, Porco, and Nausicaa might still be enjoyed by young audiences but appreciated more thoroughly by a mature audience. And others, like Kiki's Delivery Service, might have the most relevance for people going through a coming-of-age process, which could be around age 13 or later in life (after all, nobody says you have to come of age only once).

I'd let my hypothetical 8-year-olds watch Porco Rosso and Laputa but I'd probably hold off of Mononoke until 13-14...

01.28.2013, 08:54 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I first saw Mononoke Hime when I was about 8. I rather enjoyed it and it didn't scarr me for life or anything. I feel as if children can watch all Ghiblies (except, you know, Fireflies...), but will understand and enjoy them more as they mature. I would just hold off on Fireflies. I watched it last year (when I was 12), and part of me wished I waited a bit. Just a tiny part.

01.29.2013, 03:55 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Heidi80
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
I first saw Mononoke Hime when I was about 8. I rather enjoyed it and it didn't scarr me for life or anything. I feel as if children can watch all Ghiblies (except, you know, Fireflies...), but will understand and enjoy them more as they mature. I would just hold off on Fireflies. I watched it last year (when I was 12), and part of me wished I waited a bit. Just a tiny part.

I don't think children would understand Only yesterday either.

01.29.2013, 04:44 PM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I agree with Heidi that most children would not understand "Only Yesterday", but at least it is not a violent movie and they would at least enjoy the views of people getting along in life, etc.

@San:
As for Fireflies, I agree with you there, that "...Fireflies" is a bit intense for an 8-yr old, but I first saw it a few years ago and I don't expect that I'll ever watch it again. It hit me deeply and at the time I didn't quite know why, other than the images and situations on the screen. Then I realized that the ages of the Seita and Setsuko were about that same as my sister and I and I think that is why the film resonated with me... Because I had to care for and be resposible for my sister from the time I was nine and she was born... She was only three days old when I gave her her first bath at home because our mother was sick..

I may watch it agan in the future, but at this time I am not planning on it... A very good story, but hard for me...

01.29.2013, 05:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Orphic Okapi
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Mush
From the context, it sounds like it's an interview that was not long after Porco Rosso was released in 1992. Princess Mononoke was from 1997, so it's quite possible that Miyazaki didn't target that one at children either. At least, I hope not... I would put a more mature rating on that one than most of his other films

I actually had not thought of that. But . . . turns out the interview is from 2002. He talks a lot about Spirited Away in it. So I think he is including Princess Mononoke, as strange as that is!

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 01.31.2013, 05:16 AM.

01.31.2013, 05:14 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Heidi80
quote:
Originally posted by hopexx5

I agree that the scene in Laputa is violent, but I don't think it's any worse than in most western children's movies

You are quite right, But I don't understand why western films get away with it. I don't understand why any film aired to younger audiences gets away with it really.
I have two younger brothers who are highly subject to violence in films video games etc, Before they were you wouldn't find an ounce of violence in them.
But after they were introduced to the popular "Violence" theme, They get into arguments and fights on an almost daily basis.
Life story over, I know my opinion is but a mere droplet in an ocean of people thinking the opposite, But that's just my honest opinion.

01.31.2013, 06:03 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks