QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Any animè movies like studio Ghiblis around?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Any animè movies like studio Ghiblis around? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.08.05
  Any animè movies like studio Ghiblis around?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ixonet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi everyone

I´m looking for movies like Ghiblis "Spirited Away"... with a nice fantasy-saga touch :-)

08.08.2005, 09:28 AM ixonet is offline   Profile for ixonet Add ixonet to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have recently seen an anime feature movie called "Beyond the Clouds, the Promised Place." Though not connected to Ghibli in any way, the atmosphere, feelings, and emphases can easily remind you of some works of Miyazaki and Takahata. Like any other Ghibli works, it has a great attention to the development and inner-feeling of the characters. At the same time it also displays an eye-popping and breathtaking level of details in the background and the use of light.

The story took place in an alternate universe where the post-war Japan was divided into two like Korea of our age. After the great war, the Union occupied Hokkaido, and the US took over the other parts. A strange tower of unknown use was built at the centre of Hokkaido, yet it was so tall that it could even be seen from Tokyo in clear days. Being determined to unveil the secret of the tower, 2 middle school boys (Hiroki and Takuya) tried to build a plane, and promised to fly to the tower with their friend (Sayuri) one day. However, fate seperated the trio, and their mutual promise could never be realized. It was later revealed that Sayuri, who had been in years of coma, was intimately connected to the tower, thus the destiny of the world...

Japanese R2 DVD title:
雲のむこう、約束の場所 (Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho)

R1 DVD title:
The Place Promised in Our Early Days

08.08.2005, 05:31 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd like to see that 'Place Promised in Our Early Days'. 'The Voices of a Distant Star' is still on my 'to-do list' (which never gets done)

08.18.2005, 05:55 PM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
TheBrokenMany
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.03.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by TheBrokenMany Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When was that movie released?

11.03.2005, 10:57 PM TheBrokenMany is offline   Profile for TheBrokenMany Add TheBrokenMany to your buddy list Homepage of TheBrokenMany
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Though not anime, I'd recommend the films of Frederick Back, Yuri Norstein, Rene Laloux, and Disney's early films.

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

11.06.2005, 02:19 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nothing compares to Ghibli dude...the original and best!!

05.14.2006, 11:39 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
anumalik
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.23.06
  have to agree..Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by anumalik Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have to agree with you SpiritedSen, Ghibli is the best. I wish they had more people in their group so that they could always have a film out. I wish I wasn't so impatient, but Ghibli movies rock my world. : ) In a world so frugal and depressing, with everything going on, Ghibli movies is the little rainbow which still lets me cling ontu childhood and that hope, which only comes from those special moments. That rainbow sometimes wanes, the colours fading, but Ghibli movies and that moment's beauty recolour it.

...when I look at him
I can see a boy hidden in the depth of his piercing blue eyes,
a boy who is longing his freedom......

06.05.2006, 09:57 PM anumalik is offline   Profile for anumalik Add anumalik to your buddy list
aviator
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.29.06
Voices reviewPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by aviator Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by OYM Angel
I'd like to see that 'Place Promised in Our Early Days'. 'The Voices of a Distant Star' is still on my 'to-do list' (which never gets done)

Just saw Voices of a Distant Star, very original, very moving, but also very disappointing for being only 30 minutes long!!! The blend of computer graphics with traditional animation was really awesome (even though I prefer the traditional!)

06.11.2006, 08:43 PM aviator is offline   Profile for aviator Add aviator to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by aviator Just saw Voices of a Distant Star, very original, very moving, but also very disappointing for being only 30 minutes long!!! The blend of computer graphics with traditional animation was really awesome (even though I prefer the traditional!)

Believe it or not, apart from the voice actors, that whole OVA is created entirely by a whole crew of ONE person. Just one, done using conventional and readily available software like photoshop and the like.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.11.2006, 11:23 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Voices of a Distant Star was a sad movie (if it's the one I'm thinking of!) I like it though.

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

Post last edited by shiawase on 06.12.2006, 02:32 AM.

06.12.2006, 02:31 AM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
aviator
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.29.06
!!!!!!!!!!!!!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by aviator Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Believe it or not, apart from the voice actors, that whole OVA is created entirely by a whole crew of ONE person. Just one, done using conventional and readily available software like photoshop and the like.

That's almost unbelievable, I kind of see why it was only 30 min long!

06.13.2006, 03:21 AM aviator is offline   Profile for aviator Add aviator to your buddy list
Kanaeda
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.07.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanaeda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

try watership down thats a sad movie.

06.13.2006, 08:50 PM Kanaeda is offline   Profile for Kanaeda Add Kanaeda to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I see I haven't suggested anything in this thread, so here's one.

For those interested in realistic character designs, tragic settings, emotional roller-coaster, action, splendid animation, great story, great plot AND great character development.....

Yeah well, just watch JinRoh aka Wolf Brigade.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.14.2006, 09:53 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Cloud
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cloud Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first Anime I saw was the last unicorn- I love this film.
And I think the story is a little bit like Miyazaki (but not the graphics!)
And Christopher Lee spoke the king Haggard (also in german, whats impressed me).
They planned a film 2006, but I think that cannot work with really actors (perhaps sth for Fans) Christopher Lee plays again king Haggard.
Christopher Lee is a legend!!!

Watership down is really great! But I don`t think thats like Miyazaki. Its a novel from Richard Adams and the film is not really an Anime (its british, right?)
But nevertheless thats a great film, and if you like Anime and Miyazaki you will like "watership down", too!

I luv the susuwatari^^

07.16.2006, 09:37 AM Cloud is offline   Profile for Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Cloud
The first Anime I saw was the last unicorn- I love this film.
And I think the story is a little bit like Miyazaki (but not the graphics!)

Watership down is really great! But I don`t think thats like Miyazaki. Its a novel from Richard Adams and the film is not really an Anime (its british, right?)
But nevertheless thats a great film, and if you like Anime and Miyazaki you will like "watership down", too!

I've just got to say that only animation from Japan is normally called anime, all other cartoons are just animation. The Last Unicorn was my favourite animation as a child too! Watership Down is rubbish though!!

07.16.2006, 10:44 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks