QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Why exactly Totoro is so enjoyable to watch
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Why exactly Totoro is so enjoyable to watch » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Why exactly Totoro is so enjoyable to watchPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just asking as i dont know.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

05.26.2013, 12:26 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It appeals to a broader range of audiences than other Ghibli films. Its main target audience is young children, but it's also liked by older people, much like other very successful animated films like the Pixar productions and classic Disney movies.

I think it's also a matter of the content. There's nothing scary or upsetting about it, it has various weird and wonderful creatures - Totoro is Ghibli's mascot for good reason! - and there's quite a strong sense of nostalgia.

05.26.2013, 01:30 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Perspective. Or group think.

Personally, it was just an 'okay' movie. Not poor, but not outstanding.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.29.2013, 11:17 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As I've said before, it reminds me of the Japan I knew when I was over there in n the mid-sixties... Except for the two-stories, the house interior is much like the one I spent a weekend in on a rice farm... Mitio's family invited my family to spend the weekend. My favorite event the whole time I was there...

05.29.2013, 11:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think you should go there once more husky

I think money wont be a problem for you.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

05.29.2013, 01:24 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think it's great appeal in comparison to some Ghibli films, such as Mononoke.
More people can enjoy it and it's the sort of film you can sit down and watch with friends and family, so statistically the sale rates will be higher thus making it more popular.

05.29.2013, 01:45 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd like to go, but unfortunately, contrary to your belief, savior, money would be a problem...

05.29.2013, 04:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its just so happy and wonderfully smile inducing.

05.30.2013, 09:20 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Aemille
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.04.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Aemille Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It was one of the first films Miyazaki had to do where he strongly desired to evoke a feeling of real japanese life. (I read this in an interview he did) The animators worked very hard to mimic the japanese location it was based on, colouring the soil of the house area redder than normal because the soil in that area is more red. I find it quite special as they worked super hard on the lighting- so if you notice how the house/fields etc are lit from one month to another in the film, they are different! They also worked hard on the sunset scene towards the end- notice there is no red in the light itself but only in the surrounding objects.

Personally I like it because I've watched it growing up.

07.04.2013, 07:03 AM Aemille is offline   Profile for Aemille Add Aemille to your buddy list
reecetard
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by reecetard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's probably one of the Ghibli films I've watched the least, only a couple of times, but there's something quite unexplainably magical about it.

I agree, it's not my personal favorite, but as somebody who has forever been obsessed with Japan and never had the chance to go, it offers me a peek into what I hope the Japanese country side is really like (Is it a Satoyama?). Only Yesterday also provides a similar look into rural Japan.

On the face of it, it's a very simple and childish film, but one that really leaves a lasting impression. It's calming, a great film to fall asleep to (in a good way!).

~ No matter how many weapons you may have ~
~ No matter how great your technology may be ~
~ The world cannot live without love ~

07.18.2013, 01:39 AM reecetard is offline   Profile for reecetard Add reecetard to your buddy list Homepage of reecetard
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks