QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - China trip
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » China trip » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  China tripPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cause this got a little too out of hand to post as a side conversation in the Highlights thread xD

Husky: Haha wow, ok.

So the way my trip was planned, I got in a lot of local interaction. Ate at local families, talked with local guides (the students working part-time... so not as money-mongering ), took overnight sleeper trains, stayed at hotels in neighbourhoods... so with local people as the clientèle and not only tourists.

That was good for getting a better sense of the country. Even with that though, there are so many grand things to see, it was hard to take everything in.

I did that kind of stuff with a small group (8 people) but some of the best parts were wandering around the cities, which are HUGE compared to where I live.

As for your questions... communism is apparent from an outsiders point of view. Lots of Chairman Mao propaganda. People lining up since the break of dawn to see his body EVERYDAY. Regular young people feel very strongly about the benefits of how Chinese society is set up. Funny asking them how they feel about certain past leaders... never had a single person say a bad word about them xD

Though the population is huge so universities and healthcare aren't entirely free... and you have to pay more if you're not a born resident of whatever city you're in. That's a pretty big issue for all those rural people moving to big cities.

Arren is right, the Renminbi (or the Chinese yuan) is still the currency being used. Not as stable as the government would like... and the exchange rate is around 1 to 6 from Canadian/US dollars to RMB. Things aren't as cheap as everyone would have you believe (other than the fake wares markets xD).

Annnd yeah big one indeed. Started in Beijing (amaaazing city). Went to the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, the Olympic Park... umm looked at the neighbourhoods and the markets, the National Library (which is INSANE), one of the universities... and probably some things I'm forgetting. Hightlight: Great Wall (cause duh) and the Summer Palace, which was unbelievably huge.

Then trained to Xi'an... old city lots of history and pickpockets xD I survived without losing any valuables though. Went on top of the 14 km city wall, saw the city ... some super high end malls in Xi'an, apparently. Went to a pretty trendy bar street. Saw the Terra Cotta Warriors museum. Bell and Drum Towers... uhh the Muslim Quarter (some of the best food I had during my visit was there), visited the Great Mosque (which was quite different from what I had in mind... pretty much a traditional Chinese courtyard with a big room for prayers. The walls were amazing though - wood panels, with the Quran carved in tiny print). Highlight: Terra Cotta and Muslim Quarter.

There was Mount Huashan... epic epic epic.

Then there was Suzhou... canal and garden city pretty much. Went to the Garden of the Master of Nets and boated on the canals. This place was nice because it didn't feel very touristy at all. It was just a regular city with people living their lives. The hotel was on a bar street so I saw the average night life in Suzhou. It was a nice little transitional rest from the history and grand old China to my next stop: Shanghai.

Oh man... if you have a lot of money to blow, go to Shanghai. It is such a cool city and so full of life. I loved the downtown with the financial sector buildings (yeah, multiple downtowns). Went up Jinmao and the Shanghai World Financial Center (492m tall). Ofc, it being China... right next to these two giants, they're building an even bigger giant, the Shanghai Tower. Uhh, the Shanghai museum was amazing if you're into museums at all. Lots of interesting Chinese stuff, and a random African exhibit were on display at the time. Also went to the Shanghai Ocean Aquarium... first time I've been to an aquarium. It was cool but I was a bit underwhelmed? Not as big as I thought it'd be. The Bund (look it up) was great to walk along and I enjoyed a night cruise along it. The city lights are pretty amazing. Explored lots of random gardens... the Yuyuan Gardens are one name I remember in particular. SHOPPING. East Nanjing Road, serious shopping to be done there. And then a great number of markets whose names are too hard to remember off the top of my head. Highlight: the whole city? It was awesome.

And probably the one of the most surprisingly fun things I did was get an all night karaoke room with others on the trip. Locals joined in... we actually sang all night. It was great.

Other random good things that stick out in my mind... their public transport is amazing. Best I've seen anywhere. So intuitive, complete lack of Mandarin skills were no issue. Train stations are like airports. Oh, took the Maglev train (430km/hr and you don't feel it at all!). Met some really awesomely helpful strangers. Did not feel scared at any time of night (and I was out at ALL times of night xD) - very safe place as long as you watch for pickpockets.

I'll stop there. Sorry if this got a bit difficult to follow near the end... *tired* xD

Oh and pictures don't really the experience any justice, but I'll upload some if you like ^^

06.01.2013, 03:43 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good! I am glad that you were able to meet and mingle with the population as you did. It entirely changes the 'feel' of a visit or trip. Oh yeah, The Xi'an Terra Cotta Warriors! I've always wanted to see them! Is it true that each warrior looks different as to facial features? That is remarkable if true... I realize that you undoubtably only got to see a small number of the total group, but still...

Thank you for the report. Tell more when and if you feel like it. a few photos would be nice, thanks for offering.

later...

06.01.2013, 04:25 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha I was pretty intrigued by that fact, actually. I spent a while looking at their faces and they do all look different! Apparently the people who made them, modelled them after themselves... but obviously one person made more than just one. So I'm not sure how that worked out. Slight modifications, perhaps.

That was the good... I'll share some bad stuff (cause nothing's fun like travel complaints xD) and pictures tomorrow. ^^

06.01.2013, 06:37 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LOL, I thought you were quiet recently Fen. Sounds like you had the experience of a lifetime which is the whole point.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.01.2013, 11:26 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hehe yep, finals and then this kept me busy. I've always wanted to see the whole world. This just made me want to more xD

And here are some random pictures off my phone. Not the best quality but these were in the moment pictures. Like "ooh" *snap*, no thought required stuff. Which, imo, make for the best pictures.

06.02.2013, 03:56 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks but all I get in that link is good old Photobucket telling me its a private album

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.02.2013, 07:34 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Lol sorry, forgot about that.

Try again, password: China2013

06.02.2013, 08:32 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's still not working for me

06.02.2013, 10:14 AM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Lol more trouble than it should be ;__;

http://s213.photobucket.com/user/hikari_...slideshow/China

Try again? I just made it public.

06.02.2013, 01:06 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Wow, some lovely images there. Thank you for uploading them.

06.02.2013, 02:29 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, thanks!
Did you eat the scorpions? They taste like pure rust...

06.02.2013, 02:50 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Thanks, Saddles ^^

San: Didn't taste like anything but crunch and spices =/

The other thing I really wanted to try was shark fin soup... but I couldn't bring myself to order it with the whole controversy around shark killing.

06.02.2013, 03:01 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Regardless of what you said, I thik they came out quite well, fen...

A few questions, if I may and if you remember...

the bicycles... are they public transit or rental?
I note that in New York recently, they are trying something similar and the paint color is the same...

the little national flags
was this a coffee shop or ???

the things-on-a-stick
Are these tasty treats? or for show? or what? I question the tasty treats thing because I didn't know that starfish could be eaten?

rocks
What are those rock-like things in the center.

steps
those steps have been well used over the years... the Great Wall, right?

room
What is this big room?

Thank you for the slideshow, fen... loving it

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.02.2013, 03:38 PM.

06.02.2013, 03:08 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Ohmu

I have a love/hate relationship with shark fin soup... It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good but I hate the whole "it's made from shark" thing... I'm huge on animal conservation, protecting wildlife and endangered species, but...

*starts salivating*

Post last edited by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g on 06.02.2013, 03:13 PM.

06.02.2013, 03:09 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Did you eat the scorpions? They taste like pure rust...

HUH???

San... that looks more like Egg Drop Soup to me...
---------------------------------------------
My only problem with the shark-fin thing is that the rest of the shark is totally wasted... If the whole shark were used for consumption, I wouldn't have a problem, but when you see the wanton waste of the rest of the animal... No, not right.

btw, shark tastes good, I've eaten some that I have caught...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.02.2013, 03:40 PM.

06.02.2013, 03:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
the bicycles... are they public transit or rental?
I note that in New York recently, they are trying something similar and the paint color is the same...

They're for rental, very cheap. I saw them everywhere other than Xi'an. It's pretty interesting. They're not locked up or anything. And in some places, they have motorcycles for rent lined up just like that.

quote:
the little national flags
was this a coffee shop or ???

That was a bar, on a bar street. They sold coffee too. But yeah, the flag thing was pretty common. Interesting fact, the Chinese national flag can only be sold by authorized vendors.

quote:
the things-on-a-stick
Are these tasty treats? or for show? or what? I question the tasty treats thing because I didn't know that starfish could be eaten?

Nope, all for eating. Snake, scorpion, starfish, seahorse, and a bunch of other less strange things.

quote:
rocks
What are those rock-like things in the center.

They're naturally occurring porous rocks! Hundreds of years old. Sorry, don't remember the names though =(

quote:
steps
those steps have been well used over the years... the Great Wall, right?

Yep. Ofc I was at a section that had been "renovated" and stabilized for tourists walking on the wall... but still. xD

quote:

room
What is this big room?

Ohhh that's the national library in Beijing. It was a really neat place. And I'm guessing it was full of university students preparing for exams. Over here, no one really studies at the public library... there isn't even that much space. But yeah, I really liked that library. Their book collection was crazy impressive as well.

quote:

Thank you for the slideshow, fen... loving it

You're very welcome ^^

06.03.2013, 11:32 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Thanks for the replies, fen...

about the 'thing-on-a-stick. Did you sample any and if so, how was it?

The 'rocks', could they have been Pumice? They look like they are honored or revered, somehow...

that person standing on the 'Wall', is that someone we all know and love? or a stranger....

As for the library, I kinda got that impression. Beautiful looking...

Again, thanks for the replies...

Any more pics in the future, when you have the time, of course...?

06.03.2013, 01:40 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

If you mean this person, then yeah. That's me Probably not going to leave it up there though.

More pictures are on my camera and I'm so lazy... so yeah, eventually xD

06.03.2013, 02:40 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I liked the library pic as well, its a great angle you've taken it at and it somehow makes the people look so insignificant next to the vast store of knowledge. It could be sold to one of the stock image library sites, its so good in so many ways.

EDIT: Ah, nice! Its so good to see you at last! Quite a lot how I imagined though you are amazingly lucky to have such full lips!

Can't see the eyes though

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.03.2013, 02:45 PM.

06.03.2013, 02:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

K, really quick. Just for Saddles.

06.03.2013, 02:50 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks