QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Miyazaki's Greed Motif
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Miyazaki's Greed Motif » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.21.13
  Miyazaki's Greed MotifPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Furritus Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Greed i find is one of the most compelling themes resonating throughout his films, It's very prevalent in Princess Mononoke with the whole deforestation going on. The film really shows how overstepping our boundaries as humans can really harm the ecosystem and cause a negative outcome. I find Porco Rosso to be a symbol for greed himself, being a bounty hunter and everything.

Anyways what other main themes do you personally see in most of his films?

06.21.2013, 03:18 PM Furritus is offline   Profile for Furritus Add Furritus to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's clearly a theme in Spirited Away, Laputa, and Mononoke (though the deforestation in Mononoke isn't so much about greed as it is about power and survival, I'd say), but Porco Rosso? Never got that sense at all. Marco is a flawed character, definitely, but if anything I'd Miyazaki kind of glorifies his individualistic lifestyle, insofar as he refuses to participate in the Fascist system. I wouldn't say Marco is particularly greedy; he just does his own thing and earns enough money to get by. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but doesn't he live in a freaking tent?

I think Miyazaki is more concerned with institutionalized greed, or greed on a societal level, than he is with greed on a personal level. In most of his little moralizing scenes, greed is something that seems to take over an entire group of people in a sort of frenzy, rather than something that makes individuals bad. The scene in Laputa where the soldiers plunder the city, the scene in Spirited Away where the bathhouse workers become obsessed with appeasing No Face, etc.

06.21.2013, 11:13 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi

I think Miyazaki is more concerned with institutionalized greed, or greed on a societal level, than he is with greed on a personal level. In most of his little moralizing scenes, greed is something that seems to take over an entire group of people in a sort of frenzy, rather than something that makes individuals bad. The scene in Laputa where the soldiers plunder the city, the scene in Spirited Away where the bathhouse workers become obsessed with appeasing No Face, etc.

Much like the army in Nausicaa attempting to become THE power in their world...

Welcome to the Tavern, Furritus.....

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.21.2013, 11:47 PM.

06.21.2013, 11:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not a Miyazaki film but a Ghibli nonetheless, there's very strong themes running through "Only Yesterday" as well. They're highlighted more in absence than in presence, especially as Toshio relates to Taeko all about the small rural farmers and how they have suffered in recent decades. He doesn't specifically spell out why but the viewer can draw fairly clear conclusions. Another presentation of societal greed.

Pom Poko of course has a strong theme - man's headlong rush to create a better world for himself (new houses and living spaces for the population) while not pausing to consider the impact on the world around them. How much 'better' is what he creates when he destroys so much to achieve it? Its an environmental message that Miyazaki passes on in a lot of his films as well although he sometimes slips into simple nostalgia without messagising it (is that a word?).

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.22.2013, 06:17 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hahaha...

"messagising"

Don't think so, Saddles, but I got the point...

Submit it to OED with an explanation and it may end up in the next new edition and you'd have coined a new word in the English language... (like we need more, lol)

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.22.2013, 05:59 PM.

06.22.2013, 01:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Orphic and Saddles both make good points - these themes appear in Ghibli films in general, and are more about groups than individuals. I wonder if this is meant as a criticism of Japanese society, where typically the group is considered more important than the individual, as these themes in the films show the danger of this type of mentality. That's just speculation, of course.

06.22.2013, 02:39 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks