QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Gotta admit, he's right
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Gotta admit, he's right » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Gotta admit, he's rightPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I bet the title sure got your attention.

http://kotaku.com/hayao-miyazaki-says-cu...rable-669265148

I won't deny that those kind of voices so typical is romcom anime gets to me as well. In fact any kind of super uber incredibly excitingly exaggerated voice-acting irritates the hell out out of me. Stuff like Minami-ke, for instance. Or anything that sounds like a collection of Chiyo-chan.

We won't be getting it in his newest movie, so I guess that's one thing to be thankful.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.04.2013, 11:10 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is something I can agree with. Something he doesn't seem to go into though (unless he mentions it in the original interview) is that it's like that because there's a market for it. Cuteness is such a huge deal in Japan, and among anime otaku there are plenty of people who, well, get off on it. And the thing about seiyuu trying to sell themselves rather than the character - when fans turn seiyuu into idols, and then start watching things just because of who's in it, of course they're selling themselves - that's why big names like them were hired!

So while I do agree that it's very irritating, I'm more annoyed by the way the industry and the fans keep making it happen.

Post last edited by arren18 on 07.04.2013, 11:46 AM.

07.04.2013, 11:45 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am!!!!! Oh, you meant Miyazake-san...

I enjoyed reading the text and all the comments...
One comment was abt how the Dubbers in using known movie/tv actors for the dubs so as to give the audience a face to go with the voice. I have to disagree with that comment. We have a face, the face of the character.

When I am watching a dubbed movie, I 'see' the characters face, not the famed actors face...

07.04.2013, 11:56 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For some reason I imagined Johny Depp voice-acting an anime.

Oh my god. THAT is a disaster.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.04.2013, 11:27 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes. This guy ALWAYS knows what's up.

07.05.2013, 04:15 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Miyazaki has it spot-on! You want be be absorbed by the character, not be pondering who the actor is that voices them.

07.05.2013, 05:15 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

While further researching this issue I stumbled upon a link to this bit of horrifying perversity. Only check it out if you would like to gaze upon the true face of what otaku culture has become. You will not emerge unscathed.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 07.05.2013, 06:08 PM.

07.05.2013, 06:04 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh god.

07.05.2013, 09:31 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He's flying in the face of fashionable culture which is pretty much unstoppable. Husky commented elsewhere about how "dark" our western fantasy movies have become in the last 10-15 years. Batman is no longer the Caped Crusader (a white image) but the Dark Knight (a black image). Our heroes are being turned into tortured suffering souls, fighting greater inner battles against their own weakness than the battles they face against traditional evil. These movies are a creation of our own culture today.

The Japanese fixation on cuteness in many forms (toys, clothing, etc) is I think a cultural backlash against the times. In that respect I don't have too big an issue with it. In itself its harmless and brings a bit of fun into many people's daily grind.

Many people place making money before so much else today, and seiyuu are working in jobs in which they want to be successful, well know and richer, you can't blame them for hiring agents who will promote them in any way possible, its a part of the industry they are in. They are idols in the same way Japan promotes idols who sing, act and put on swimsuits to be photographed.

Miyazaki is saying he doesn't like it, which is a good thing for his fans, it means we'll get sympathetic voice actors and actresses in his future movies as well, though he has already lost the battle in the choice of voice actors that Disney uses in the English dubbed versions of his films, which is a pity.

Because I'm geographically absent from the society and don't frequent forums with 'chan' in their names, I can't say I have ever recognised a single Japanese voice actress in any anime. I did watch one recently in which a female voice really struck me as intriguing and even sexy so I looked up who it was and found out she'd done a voice in another (extremely different) anime I'd watched years ago and had an "Oh, she did that character as well" moment but there's no further connection and I don't ever put a face to the name, or even a name to the voice. She has done dozens of anime though, many extremely popular so she was no doubt chosen by the studio specifically to voice that character.

I can clearly understand how it can be different though to the hard core 'youthful' anime customer in Japan, and how anime studios can hire certain well-known seiyuu as a means to make more money. But this is life. This is capitalism. I don't know where it'll end.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.07.2013, 10:16 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
While further researching this issue I stumbled upon a link to this bit of horrifying perversity. Only check it out if you would like to gaze upon the true face of what otaku culture has become. You will not emerge unscathed.

I stopped at 4 seconds.

I apologize to the world for it's existence because whoever made this won't.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.07.2013, 11:31 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The Japanese fixation on cuteness in many forms (toys, clothing, etc) is I think a cultural backlash against the times. In that respect I don't have too big an issue with it. In itself its harmless and brings a bit of fun into many people's daily grind.

I like your analysis here, but I don't think the culture of cuteness is totally harmless, at least not where gender relations are concerned. Don't you think it's a little demeaning to women? I mean it's totally infantilizing. Men are being taught that childlike innocence, helplessness, and yep, stupidity, are all desirable traits, while women are actually expected to act like toddlers in order to be desirable. That's messed up.

07.07.2013, 06:02 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know that's going anywhere near that territory at all. Men aren't being taught that helpless dim girls are better than assertive intelligent girls in any way. Girls aren't necessarily seeing Asahina Mikuru as a role model, I'm pretty sure of that.

I think its just a passing fashion and in a few years anime studios will grasp onto the next fad that sells best.

To me the trend to seemingly include more flashes of girls underwear or a gratuitous beach episode in every series is much more worrying for anime than stereotyping women.

I have to court everyone's displeasure here and say that I played all those sound files at the same time and found it quite amusing, like being in an aviary when a falcon is hovering about.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.08.2013, 02:31 PM.

07.08.2013, 02:31 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Sorry Saddles, but I'm gonna pull the "I live in Japan" card. Girls are definitely encouraged to act like sweet helpless dimwitted anime characters. You see it all over the place. They'll pretend to not know how to do something extremely basic in order to seem cute. Media affect the way people behave, that's pretty much incontrovertible fact by now. What do you think is the effect of all these cutesy, mindless, childlike, highly sexualized characters? And how much more often would you say characters like that appear in anime, compared to intelligent assertive women?

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 07.08.2013, 06:21 PM.

07.08.2013, 06:18 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Something I've heard time and again from people who have just been in Japan for a year is that you really do see this all the time, for example falsely high-pitched voices that are used only when guys are around. I mentioned earlier that this is popular in anime because there's a market for it, and it's true outside of that too: because enough people like it and expect it, many girls and women to emulate that behaviour.

I wouldn't really call it a passing fad either, as cuteness in various forms has been a popular trend for a loooong time now, even if it's only now that anime is being so swamped by it. Sure, in anime it's maybe more of an irritation than anything else, but it's symptomatic of more concerning things.

07.09.2013, 07:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Yeah, I was going to add that the whole cute fixation has been going on for more than forty years now (at least), so I don't know if it's quite as superficial a phenomenon as Saddletank seems to think. I'm guessing it's the result of some very ancient ideas mixing with a sudden influx of new influences. I'm sure Japanese culture will evolve (as it has for thousands of years) and some new aesthetic will eventually predominate, but I highly doubt that will happen overnight. Marketing has certainly fueled the kawaii craze, but is it at the root of it? Somehow I don't think so.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 07.09.2013, 09:24 AM.

07.09.2013, 09:18 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

If you are seeing this trend first hand, Orphic, I will be gracious and admit defeat in this debate!

I also so wish I could go to Japan...

07.09.2013, 05:55 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, if I can win the big lottery, we will, but don't hold your breath, lol

Of course, with Orphic already there and arren on his way, more or less, there's two tickets I don't have to worry about
lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.09.2013, 06:06 PM.

07.09.2013, 06:02 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like it in animes like K-ON, but i'd hate it in a Ghibli. Its not good for a serious anime. Well i guess its a bit okay in a serious anime, like misa misa in Death Note.

07.12.2013, 12:45 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I was not okay with Misa Misa in Death Note.

07.12.2013, 07:25 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I don't necessarily mind the exaggerated cutesy voices in themselves, I'm more bothered by the ubiquity of it. If it happened from time to time, or only in appropriate contexts, fine. But it seems to be everywhere, and that makes it really obnoxious to me.

07.12.2013, 08:16 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks