QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Porco Rosso [spoiler alert]
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Porco Rosso [spoiler alert] » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Porco Rosso [spoiler alert]Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well

i have to admit this is the movie i watched least of times beside grave of the fireflies.

Watched it again[3rd time maybe] today

Have to say did not get anything new except for the music features that i did not notice. What should i call...... a tragedy.don't know.

I liked the ending. although i am implicated with sorrow. did not get the meaning as a whole

i think it the the only movie that has this kind of depth[or vice-verse means no depth at all].

share me your feelings about the moive

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.06.2013, 09:27 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This movie has depth IMO... Yes, there are the comic levels, where Porco gets stuck babysitting, as did the Mama Auito pirates and the fight scene. But the touching scenes that I felt the most was when his fellow pilots went up into the sky, maybe because I am a military man, I felt that.

I can't say too much abt the ending without giving away parts that are best left alone for others to enjoy on their own for the first time. I did enjoy the ending. It left me with a feeling that things might change...
And that is all I am going to say about that.

I liked the ending and I disliked the ending, if that makes any sense at all...

07.06.2013, 01:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Porco is my second favourite Ghibli after Whisper of the Heart, though I'm biased because I find the historical and mechanical aspects of it interesting. I have a love of Italy and flying, and an interest in military subjects so the basic setting puls me in and involves me before anything else much happens.

I feel especially uplifted watching the flying scenes in Porco, I don't think Miyazaki has animated better airborne sequences anywhere else; the sequence of Porco taking off and travelling across the islands in the middle of the film seems to be not only giving us breathtaking images but paints us Porcos character as he goes, a man alone and vulneraable, always travelling, both physically and looking for something inside himself, I get quite emotionally tangled up in that one 'simple' sequence.

The juxtaposition of the comedic aspects (air pirates) against 1920s fascist Italy and the sinister sides of it that are hinted at really bite at me and the up and down emotional ride is another of the things that make this one o fmy favourite movies.

On top of that we have romance too, which if you've never experienced it, will mean you miss big chunks of what's happening and why, the long flash-back told story of his pre-war love is mixed up with hesitant reluctant connections with Fio and the ending is a lovely one that lays many ghosts to rest.

Its a superb movie and it deserves to be better known.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.07.2013, 09:57 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love the movie, animation, and the underlying lesson/moral thing. Plus, I was obsessed with pigs when I was little and firt saw it...

07.07.2013, 12:31 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
On top of that we have romance too, which if you've never experienced it, will mean you miss big chunks of what's happening and why, the long flash-back told story of his pre-war love is mixed up with hesitant reluctant connections with Fio and the ending is a lovely one that lays many ghosts to rest.

Its a superb movie and it deserves to be better known.

i would say i got it and at the same time did not get it.

i think the point is misinterpreted, porco with fio is just stupid. [and i am banned as a future ghibli staff forever because as far as i know miyazaki had a quarrel with a important staff about it and he went away(probably anno)] but i feel fio is being more like asuka in nge...... and now i am getting a feeling that you girls likes to cling on older boys than that are similar to their age[is it really?] it is cool that you agreed ending is great but it can not be popular specially to kids.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.07.2013, 12:49 PM.

07.07.2013, 12:46 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I see no problem with the Fio/Porco relationship. Nothing is spelled out at all, little is even spoken and much of it is just implied. Such as the awkwardness in the swimming scene at Porco's island home.

There's the traditional friction of an older experienced man doubting the skills of a young woman in aeronautical engineeering, and there's the mentor/father figure that Porco forms for Fio. All traditional things, but in this film never explored, just offered to the viewer to consider.

Miyazaki could have made things much more implicit but he didn't, he left a few small hints of things, of people's thoughts and emotions and left it there. Its a miniscule part of the film but its there and I like it, its another part that lets you sit back and draw your own 'what ifs'.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.07.2013, 04:44 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks