QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Only Yesterday question
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Only Yesterday question » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.11.13
Only Yesterday questionPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawneth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello all! I am really happy to have found this forum.. It's hard to live without expressing how much you love Studio Ghibli's excellent films to people around you who don't understand.

Anyways here's my question

Why is it that Only Yesterday never got an official release in North America? There are some Disney films that are pretty violent/ mature subject matter, but in comparison to Princess Mononoke which has quite a bit of violence there shouldn't be any reason for it not to be here.. I ask this because it's simply at the top of my favorite films, not even just for Ghibli films.

07.12.2013, 12:29 AM Shawneth is offline   Profile for Shawneth Add Shawneth to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi! Welcome to our forum, it really is great to discuss the greatness of Ghibli.

I really like Only Yesterday too. I'm guessing it wasn't good enough to be released by western film distributed possibly, or Studio Ghibli didn't investigate much into it? It was finished much later than planned.

07.12.2013, 12:41 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Shawneth
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawneth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Calforsale
Hi! Welcome to our forum, it really is great to discuss the greatness of Ghibli.

I really like Only Yesterday too. I'm guessing it wasn't good enough to be released by western film distributed possibly, or Studio Ghibli didn't investigate much into it? It was finished much later than planned.

You think so? I should mention that I don't mind subs, and in some cases I prefer them. The only reason I want it to be released here is so more information can be gathered, other people's insights on the Animation's plot / characters.. It's weird to think that such a great film can only be popular in one country for 22 years now!

07.12.2013, 12:51 AM Shawneth is offline   Profile for Shawneth Add Shawneth to your buddy list
Random Watcher
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.12.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Random Watcher Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey there!

According to a source from imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102587/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

"Only Yesterday" was not released because it referred to menstruation.

07.12.2013, 02:48 AM Random Watcher is offline   Profile for Random Watcher Add Random Watcher to your buddy list Homepage of Random Watcher
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yep, that's how we do things here in America: put all the limb-lopping you want in your movie, no problem, but acknowledge that women have periods? Egads! Disney wouldn't dream of blemishing its family-friendly name by releasing something so unseemly.

A movie like Only Yesterday would be infinitely more foreign to US audiences than something like Spirited Away; it's a quiet drama about a thirty-something woman reflecting on her childhood, with interludes about organic farming. I don't think Disney thinks there's any market for it, and you know what, sadly, they're probably right.

07.12.2013, 04:56 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow so silly! But no surprising.

Well you can post lots of discussion threads on it here Shawneth, i'd love to discuss it.

07.12.2013, 05:14 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its one of my favourite Ghiblis and by far my favourite film by Takahata. I watch it quite often and find it's gentle relaxed pacing very soothing. Being a person who has grown up I often find myself reflecting on my childhood and those parts of the film touch me. We also see an intimate slice of Japanese family life as it might typically have been in the 1960s with the father of the house like a little emperor in his own domain and his wife little more than a servant, a loving one, but a servant nonetheless.

The ending is... wonderful. I think it is my favourite ending of any Ghibli film. It really puts you in a magnificent mood!

There has never been an English dubbed version but there has been an official English subtitled version released in the UK, you should be able to get it from Amazon and play it on a region-free DVD player.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.12.2013, 05:59 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

sometimes i think which director i like more i mean i like the beautiful animation,storytelling and theme of the Miyazaki and on the other hand i like the emotional sequence of various life events of takahata[ only yesterday or yamadas]

only yesterday is in one word great.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.12.2013, 06:33 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Shawneth
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawneth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Its one of my favourite Ghiblis and by far my favourite film by Takahata. I watch it quite often and find it's gentle relaxed pacing very soothing. Being a person who has grown up I often find myself reflecting on my childhood and those parts of the film touch me. We also see an intimate slice of Japanese family life as it might typically have been in the 1960s with the father of the house like a little emperor in his own domain and his wife little more than a servant, a loving one, but a servant nonetheless.

The ending is... wonderful. I think it is my favourite ending of any Ghibli film. It really puts you in a magnificent mood!

There has never been an English dubbed version but there has been an official English subtitled version released in the UK, you should be able to get it from Amazon and play it on a region-free DVD player.

The ending was pretty great, almost brought me to tears.. I can't tell if it was the movie or if it was the fact that I haven't seen such a dramatic film before.. Too bad I spoiled myself watching it over and over again. Actually, I've been doing that to a few Ghibli movies like Princess Mononoke and Up on Poppy Hill..

07.12.2013, 11:36 AM Shawneth is offline   Profile for Shawneth Add Shawneth to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Shawneth... Welcome to the Tavern...

My favorite Ghibli is Whisper of the Heart, but I also have a fondness for Only Yesterday. I am 66 and I was in Japan in the mid-1960's (66-67 to be exact) and I got to see a lot of Japan that the average sailor didn't get to see. My stepfather was on the same ship as I and my mother and sister were over there with us. A friend of mine, his family invited us to spend the weekend at their rice farm and it was quite enjoyable. I remember my time in Japan with longing to go back.

sigh...

I would get on a train and travel to some part of japan around Yokosuka and get off and just wander around, meeting people, going to little out of the way restaurants with maybe 4 tables and using the limited Japanese that I picked up along the way. Some of my greatest conversations were with many gestures, pantomines and scribbling and drawing on scraps of paper.

I miss that time of my life. It is almost like Ghibli has made these films especially for me...

I try not to watch my Ghibli's TOO much as I don't ever want to get burnt out with them. I watch them often enough to enjoy them each time and tht is what I want.

07.12.2013, 12:43 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Shawneth
Susuwatari

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Hi Shawneth... Welcome to the Tavern...

My favorite Ghibli is Whisper of the Heart, but I also have a fondness for Only Yesterday. I am 66 and I was in Japan in the mid-1960's (66-67 to be exact) and I got to see a lot of Japan that the average sailor didn't get to see. My stepfather was on the same ship as I and my mother and sister were over there with us. A friend of mine, his family invited us to spend the weekend at their rice farm and it was quite enjoyable. I remember my time in Japan with longing to go back.

sigh...

I would get on a train and travel to some part of japan around Yokosuka and get off and just wander around, meeting people, going to little out of the way restaurants with maybe 4 tables and using the limited Japanese that I picked up along the way. Some of my greatest conversations were with many gestures, pantomines and scribbling and drawing on scraps of paper.

I miss that time of my life. It is almost like Ghibli has made these films especially for me...

I try not to watch my Ghibli's TOO much as I don't ever want to get burnt out with them. I watch them often enough to enjoy them each time and tht is what I want.

Wow, that's amazing! I guess I'll have to do the same as you and space each film out.. Perhaps watch one, rewatch it a year later? I have a feeling that would practically give me the full experience as watching it the first time.. I guess this is getting a little off topic lol. I hope I am living in my 60's watching films that inspire me so much.

07.12.2013, 01:48 PM Shawneth is offline   Profile for Shawneth Add Shawneth to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks