QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Studio Ghibli DVD Boxset's
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Studio Ghibli DVD Boxset's » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Studio Ghibli DVD Boxset'sPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So I have seen many Studio Ghibli DVD box sets on eBay, most from top rated sellers. I assumed they were fake, because £30 for all of the films seems rather cheap, but if they were fake surely someone would of left bad feedback for these sellers ?.

Any ideas ?

07.13.2013, 05:56 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, the feedback was for the transactions. Which, if the buyers knew beforehand that they were getting pirated copies, then they had no prob listing positive feedback.

Unfortunately, it is very hard to get the real thing. I have bought some of the copies, but I endeavor to get the real items as time goes by. I then get rid of the bad copies.

07.13.2013, 10:15 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Random Watcher
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.12.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Random Watcher Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sadly, coming by the real copies is difficult these days, however maybe you should take a chance and purchase them since they are at quite a low price?

07.13.2013, 03:52 PM Random Watcher is offline   Profile for Random Watcher Add Random Watcher to your buddy list Homepage of Random Watcher
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I mean they wouldn't look right in the collection. Do they work just as well though ?

I bought Spirited away for £12 today in CEX, it's real but expensive.

07.13.2013, 04:44 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The only thing is, Ghibli (whom we all love) would get no revenue from the pirated purchases... That is why I go after the real releases where I can

I'm not proud of what I have done, but I know of no other way to have my ghibli's available to me for watching...

And to answer your question, SpideyI, no, they are not the same by any means. The quality is way off and the subtitles can be so far off the mark as to be meaningless...

Bad Husky!

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.13.2013, 06:56 PM.

07.13.2013, 06:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, they are really expensive to buy which is a shame. Is there a reason why they are so expensive ?.

I bought Spirited Away for £12 in CEX today, watched it with my Girlfriend we really enjoyed it. I am thinking of watching My Neighbour Totoro next.

I will just have to buy them as and when I can, I have seen Grave Of The Fireflies on YouTube. It's a tad hard when you don't have much money.

07.13.2013, 07:48 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Any special reason you going for a boxed set? You can get the individual DVDs quite cheaply. Are you in the UK? They sell for around £7 to £9 each here. High street music and video stores like HMV and Virgin always stock them.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.13.2013, 10:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Shawneth
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.11.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawneth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Any special reason you going for a boxed set? You can get the individual DVDs quite cheaply. Are you in the UK? They sell for around £7 to £9 each here. High street music and video stores like HMV and Virgin always stock them.

I can't seem to come across any boxed sets in my area, only individual films rarely.. But that was back in the day when they were more popular. I remember seeing a copy of The Cat Returns in a convenience store about 3 years ago and that's the last time I've seen a Ghibli title sold anywhere other than online.

07.13.2013, 10:52 PM Shawneth is offline   Profile for Shawneth Add Shawneth to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

Yeah I'm in the UK. All the HMV stores near me shut, Virgin I thought they didn't have entertainment stores anymore. I haven't seen on of those for about 5 years, we don't have anywhere here that sells new DVD's GAME sell some but not many. Only the new titles.

We have CEX, but they are £12-£15 per DVD and that's second hand.

The box set was £29.99 for all of them, definitely cheaper than separately, I will have to have a look as there is two HMV stores where my Dad lives, I am going in 3 weeks, just hope I get my birthday money early .

07.14.2013, 03:45 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm surprised they were that expensive in CEX. In my experience they're normally pretty cheap. Anyway, if you want to get legitimate copies, a boxset isn't the way to go. I think there was one or maybe two official boxsets released at some point, but they're very hard to come by and I imagine you'd have to spend a lot on that.

07.14.2013, 05:41 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Try Amazon!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss...k%3Aghibli+dvds

I have 16 Ghibli DVDs and have purchased nearly all of them from Amazon (I live in the UK too). They always seem to have the most affordable prices, plus you can get free super saver delivery.

Regarding box sets, as far as I'm aware, only one legit set was ever released:

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/content/id...nside_small.jpg

It was released in China, and YEARS ago, so for one a lot of the movies aren't included in the set, and two it's super-expensive to buy.

The singular UK releases are awesome though - they're numbered so look very neat together. Here's my collection as an example:

Avoid the box sets on eBay at all costs, they are 100% definitely pirate copies - you can't guarantee the quality, and like Husky said, none of the money goes back to Ghibli.

07.14.2013, 09:26 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

+1 to that last comment, avoid all box sets.

And if high street stores are not around you then as OneSummersDay says, Amazon is good. You can also try Tesco Online (Tesco Direct?) They have a monster warehouse facility in the Channel Islands and import to the UK from there so you don't pay VAT. They are very cheap and I have bought several DVD movies from there in the past.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.14.2013, 11:10 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I first bought a boxset, but now just buy the individual movies. I didn't even know that Amazon sold Ghibli!!!

I am going to have to go there or that other place, Tesco Online, and check them out.

I don't know why I have never even thought about Amazon before... and I have an Amazon account!!!

(no smart remarks about old age, etc)

lol

07.14.2013, 11:28 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I first bought a boxset, but now just buy the individual movies. I didn't even know that Amazon sold Ghibli!!!

I am going to have to go there or that other place, Tesco Online, and check them out.

I don't know why I have never even thought about Amazon before... and I have an Amazon account!!!

(no smart remarks about old age, etc)

lol

amazon means a-z ,easy

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.14.2013, 12:38 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Koda
Ohmu

Yeah, I have seen them on Amazon. I guess I will just have to buy online.

07.14.2013, 02:23 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks