QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Permission to show Ponyo to an audience
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Permission to show Ponyo to an audience » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.19.13
  Permission to show Ponyo to an audiencePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by salgar38 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello, my High School Asian Club is looking to have a movie night and show "Ponyo." So to ensure we don't violate any copyright laws, how do we obtain permission to show "Ponyo" to an audience of est. 50? Thanks for any info.

07.19.2013, 06:46 PM salgar38 is offline   Profile for salgar38 Add salgar38 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As I understand it, permission can't be obtained for showing films on an individual basis, as you have to pay the distribution company some large amount that allows you to show any of that company's releases. For a one-off thing like this, I don't think that would be possible... My suggestion would be to just go ahead the way it is, as I'd be very surprised if anybody came after a high school club for showing one film.

07.20.2013, 06:18 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If it's non-profit based then it doesn't matter, as far as I'm aware. If it's just a club for kids then go straight ahead. My Dad is a primary school teacher and he's shown both Totoro and Ponyo to his classes before

07.20.2013, 06:22 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think you'd get caught/

07.20.2013, 07:41 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If it's non profit, then it's fine. Schools always show films, they don't need permission. If you have bought the film, or someone else has that is attending then it's fine.

07.20.2013, 04:15 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks