QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - My anime and your suggestions
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » My anime and your suggestions » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think so. There are a LOT more series than films. Of course, you can always ask for film recommendations. Honesty, I haven't seen any for a while, so I'm not the best to ask, but I'm sure somebody will have a better idea.

09.27.2016, 10:06 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@makc for films you should try imdb it has very good lists for every possible types of films

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

09.28.2016, 03:42 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

On here films tend to have their own discussion threads. With so many series as Arren says, you tend to get discussions where people compare genres and subjects, romance, sci-fi and so on. That rarely happens with films which, on reflection, this group tends to discuss on their own merits.

People also tend to discuss the works of one director or studio as well rather that across the medium.

Absolutely no reason you can't state a thread asking for recommendations if you set out your basic preferences.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.28.2016, 05:31 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Mushi-Shi

I cant comprehend the series, it is very different. I think it gives me similar feelings of the forest in princess mononoke and nausicaa

However the idea of Shadow Bisphere is not uncommon. Most of the religious books says that the things have life too.

It is full of emotion but at the same time the execution is so soft that even with a slow series like that i could not stop watching it. The story telling is best, it reminded me of the stories my grandmother and mother used to tell me when i was a kid.

Some scientists believes the possibility of this type of life-form while others are not very believing as it cant be proved easily. But the matter is of great importance because it practically can define what life is. Saddle previously gave some links about the series. I will look into those to find out where did the author find the stories

I never thought that stories about bacteria and viruses would be so intriguing. However the Series gives a very different treatment of the idea, which is kinda cool to think.

The artwork is good enough, the character work is average. But the characters are deep and Genko is awesome.

here is an article about something similar to it

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013...n-life-on-earth

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 11.17.2016, 10:05 AM.

11.17.2016, 09:59 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wish more anime studios and directors would work on unusual subjects such as Mushishi. To move away from romance, comedy, school life, magical powers and make a series about something fresh and curious is not done anywhere near as much as it should.

Studios should not be so afraid of not making money and look around at some of the great series that have been made that deal with unusual subjects to get inspiration for fresh work.

... someone on this forum ought to try and get our RP "School of Shadows" exposed to an anime studio I have never seen any anime remotely like it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.17.2016, 12:06 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I wish more anime studios and directors would work on unusual subjects such as Mushishi. To move away from romance, comedy, school life, magical powers and make a series about something fresh and curious is not done anywhere near as much as it should.

Studios should not be so afraid of not making money and look around at some of the great series that have been made that deal with unusual subjects to get inspiration for fresh work.

... someone on this forum ought to try and get our RP "School of Shadows" exposed to an anime studio I have never seen any anime remotely like it.

Can you make a script out of it? We the people from forum could actually make short animations(2-5 minutes) if we work one day in a month. The character development and the stage creation will be difficult but after that everything is really quite easy if you have a script.

Studios in Japan are not very aware of other people. Actually people from japan/korea/china etc countries are so full of themselves that they dont actually think about others very much.

11.17.2016, 02:21 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

A script could be made from the various threads of the RP - they are all here on the forums. Our RP did in fact include romance and school life but the main plot was something a bit unusual.

I have all my old notes on it and might be able to write out the basic premise of what was going on.

Should do it in another thread though.

11.17.2016, 03:46 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
We the people from forum could actually make short animations(2-5 minutes) if we work one day in a month.

You should go for manga instead Just look at 4chan's long cat, it was a success because people did not have to invest too much time in it. All it takes is 30 minutes to draw one panel (of long cat) maybe, of course with repeated characters it is better to have one wo/man to draw the character everywhere, or else it will be crap.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

11.17.2016, 06:48 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched both vol 1 and 2 of the Pixar shorts... Totally enjoyed them....

01.22.2017, 01:12 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Watched both vol 1 and 2 of the Pixar shorts... Totally enjoyed them....

Thank for the suggestion. I will watch them if i find them

01.25.2017, 02:35 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

I did not watch any serious anime in the last 2-3 years.

Last day and Today i binge watched Terra E

https://myanimelist.net/anime/2158/Terra_e_TV

Excellent Thought provoking anime regarding Humanity and its future.

It is based on 1977 manga of the same name.

There was a 1980 movie on this.

Anime was made on 2007 based on the movie. 24 episodes. Last 10 episode is extremely interesting. The pacing in the beginning seems very very slow but you understand in the second half the importance of those.

Art - Good
Animation - Ok
Sound - Excellent
Plot - Great
Ending - One of the Best

Highly recommended.

(Wow i started this thread 8 years ago, how time flies)

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 09.11.2021, 03:37 PM.

09.11.2021, 12:44 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

86 is kind of good, but at the same time it does not feel like they are going anywhere with the story. otherwise I dont know if there is any anime that qualifies as "serious" right now.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

11.22.2021, 10:04 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by makc
quote:

86 is kind of good, but at the same time it does not feel like they are going anywhere with the story. otherwise I dont know if there is any anime that qualifies as "serious" right now.

Thanks for the suggestion

12.03.2021, 02:40 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  «    1  2  3  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks