QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - My anime and your suggestions
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General My anime and your suggestions Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would second Saddletank’s recommendation of Haibane Renmei, since it’s one of my top five favorite anime of all time, except it doesn’t qualify as a blockbuster on any front. It’s almost the exact opposite of everything that “blockbuster” typically implies. Two other anime that haven’t been recommended yet, Kino’s Journey and Mushi-shi, are of very high artistic quality and totally free of fan service, but not very blockbustery either. Kino’s Journey does have some intermittent science fiction elements, so that might be more up your alley.

You might consider watching Ergo Proxy. I haven’t finished it, as I couldn’t really identify with the characters and thought the episodes around the middle section dragged, but I think I stopped watching more due to my own personal tastes than the quality of the show itself. It has an interesting sci-fi setting and also mystery elements. There is some violence, but it’s not gratuitous, and there was no fan service that I recall.

12.20.2013, 02:42 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not really sure what you mean by "blockbuster", saviour. In any case, Utena is very dramatic and complex, and features swordfighting in most episodes, so if you want excitement it's certainly there. But it's a long one so if it's not up your street then maybe you shouldn't, but I think it's worth giving a chance.

I was about to mention this but then saw Saddles had brought it up already - Haruhi Suzumiya is a good choice. It was extremely popular at the time, and has a good science fiction-based story with a strange narrative, and there's also a lot of humour. It's also good for introducing you to a lot of sci-fi anime cliches, since it jokes about them often.

Another I'd recommend is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Like Haruhi and many of the ones you've been watching, it's very popular. It has a lot of action and drama, and a rather unique art style. It's one of my favourite shows of the past few years (or at all, for that matter) so I recommend it highly.

12.20.2013, 02:52 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Some of them are in my watchlist

However now(as i have wasted a lot of time of the vacations watching these) my problem is i should not always watch what i like to watch unless i am too bored to work. So watching anything i will take it as a educational rather than entertainment. Ofcourse my reasoning is strange but if i dont do it then i will just waste my entire time entertaining as there are too many things that i want to watch. So unless something that is seriously worth thinking i do not want to see that (although i might very much like it).

I am taking this route cause i think i am now almost a experienced anime watcher.

My carrier is at stake here.LOL.

Still some of your suggestions are very compelling.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

12.20.2013, 12:52 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Of course, don't spend too much time watching anime when you have work to do!

But there will always be days when you can't work, so keep a watchlist for those days... even if you end up adding to the list faster than you can watch things.

Anyway, I'll recommend 'Psycho Pass' for you saviour, if you can put up with occasional gruesome murders. I just recently watched it. It's not very impressive at the start, and I thought at first that it was a weak Ghost-in-the-Shell impersonation more interested in its technology than its characters. But it becomes very compelling by about halfway through. And toward the end, I think it would even be philosophically interesting to you in particular.

01.09.2014, 08:25 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mush
Of course, don't spend too much time watching anime when you have work to do!

But there will always be days when you can't work, so keep a watchlist for those days... even if you end up adding to the list faster than you can watch things.

Anyway, I'll recommend 'Psycho Pass' for you saviour, if you can put up with occasional gruesome murders. I just recently watched it. It's not very impressive at the start, and I thought at first that it was a weak Ghost-in-the-Shell impersonation more interested in its technology than its characters. But it becomes very compelling by about halfway through. And toward the end, I think it would even be philosophically interesting to you in particular.

thank you very much mush

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

01.10.2014, 04:34 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, Psycho Pass ftw.

Also recommend Twelve Kingdoms if you can find it. Also Hyouka, the best whodunnit anime series I've seen.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.10.2014, 05:21 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Yeah, Psycho Pass ftw.

Also recommend Twelve Kingdoms if you can find it. Also Hyouka, the best whodunnit anime series I've seen.

Thanks to you too roar

01.10.2014, 11:21 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Anything by Satoshi Kon especially Millennium Actress and Paprika

Personally, I liked Perfect Blue the best. It's just so good! I also like Tokyo Godfathers.

08.16.2014, 08:50 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

ok more than one year later i think i might like to get some more suggestion

in the mean time lets see what i have seen so far

1.Fullmetal Alchemist
chose it due to its large fan base and good rating
remarks:
its interesting to watch and also fun. What i did not liked is one guy vs everyone concept. Very long series.

2.Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
after i knew there was actually two fullmetal series
remarks:
it is much much better than the first series. the characters are quite interesting and reasonable. the exploration part of the series is very cool. and it has a very strong climax. but bad ending again one guy vs everyone concept.

3.Psycho Pass
chose it as mush and roar both suggested it
remarks:
you can not actually expect less from ig production. impressive visual style. And the style of the characters is nice too. has very old questions
1.that the tendency towards doing crime which is expressed here as crime coefficient can that be accepted as a way to judge human.
2.can a system[person/s or machine/s] can act as a central omnipotent decision maker, specially that the decision can not be questioned
ending is cool enough, will go high in my list

4.Psycho Pass 2
chose it because i watched psycho pass
remarks:
not as impressive as the part 1. it also holds deep question but it does not have the punch. cause
1. personal relation gets in the ways. in a system there is no way that the head of MWSPB can take anykind of decison. Sybil system in this case did not intervene, which is illogical
2. akane should act and look differently, i feel it that way, after the happening around her it is very logical that he crime efficient did not get changed but her personality should a little. ending was normal. i think they did not give enough effort cause they are planning on a third season or because of the film. disappointing at least kogame could have come back in action. but better than many anime out there

thats all folks

now i want some suggestions where there are a lots of people. anime that gets centered around few people i dont like them much, such as planets , cowboy bebop , samurai champloo etc has a lot of exploration and different peoples. where as steins gate, death note , neon genesis and others are confined within a very tight space. it destroys re-watching value for me as they gives me bad feelings. i would very much appreciate any series that has normal people like cowboy bebop , samurai champloo or planets even people like berserk will do too. thanks in advance.

the list is updated.

04.16.2015, 10:42 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lots of people + much exploration = Jojo

Otherwise pokemon/digimon/beyblade/naruto/onepiece/allthatjazz lololol

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.20.2015, 10:50 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Just finished watching Darker Than Black: Gemini of the Meteor

[yeah i got time this week, thats why i am here posting bla bla]

chose it dues to the fact i watched the first series and liked that

remarks:

have to say its quite hard to understand, its a fact i watched the whole series in 12 hours[or some less] but still some of the things just passed over my head. i needed to verify my findings to see if i was correct. mostly was right with some speculation which were or were not present in the series passed by some random forum guy

excellent series by the way, like other super natural anime try it did not focus on fights. rather the mystery was the key point here.

it has huge similarity with Elfen Lied, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Psycho Pass and Serial Experiment Lain.

Recommended to people who are fond of dystopia kind of anime[it seems i am kind of one of them, i like the recovery of the protagonists from a bad situation]

--------------------------------------------------------
@roar
thanks i will keep that in my list.

--------------------------------------------------------

i think anime season is over for me this year, except for kaguya and marnie[not sure]

see you next year if i am alive[and dont forget to give any suggestions if you have any.]

NB:List updated

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.20.2015, 04:18 PM.

04.20.2015, 11:45 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

After another year it is time to update my watched anime list here

1. Space Dandy
Super stupid and a little funny. Great animation done by Cowboy Bebop Director.

2. Michiko And Hatchin
Excellent show. It managed to deliver a solid show without getting very much influenced by anime culture, from the same studio as Samrai Champloo

3. Trigun
Great show and story. Dull sometimes but the story will keep you along the way

4. Black Lagoon
Very deep show. It has a line something like "To view from a shadow or distance", the main theme is the protagonist's honest desire not get mixed with evil although at the same time coexisting with it. It causes great psychological pain because such is not exactly possible.

5. Eden of the East
I dont why i watched this, probably because of some computer/science fiction element. Not very good show

6. Mirai Nikki
Totally Bogus show

7.Ergo Proxy
Pretty cool anime. I liked it. It is set on a post-apocalyptic period.

the rank has been updated.

http://onlineghibli.com/tavern/thread.ph...=1&page=1#1

@ALL

i have the following in my list currently(the list is randomly organized based on suggestion given in this thread)

1. Jojo
2. Haibane Renmei
3. Fooly Cooly
4. Revolutionary Girl Utena
5. Twelve Kingdoms
6. Hyouka
7. Haruhi Suzumiya
8. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
9. Haruhi
10. Honey & Clover
11. Kino’s Journey
12. Mushi-shi

looking for comedy anime suggestion. or any great anime. Or what you have been watching and think it will be good choice for me too

another thing i watch around 6-7 anime each year, how many do you guys watch if i want to compare.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.30.2016, 08:24 AM.

05.30.2016, 08:08 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. Jojo
2. Haibane Renmei
3. Fooly Cooly
4. Revolutionary Girl Utena
5. Twelve Kingdoms
6. Hyouka
7. Haruhi Suzumiya
8. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
9. Haruhi
10. Honey & Clover
11. Kino’s Journey
12. Mushi-shi

Of this list 7 and 9 are the same show.

For really GREAT anime from that list I'd choose:

Haibane Renmei
Fooly Cooly
Rev Girl Utena
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Mushi-Shi

Renmei is quite slow so persevere with it, but investing the time is worth it.

Kino's Journey may not be as deep as the others and is also slow and you need to watch 4 to 5 episodes before it begins to make sense and you get an understanding of what the director is saying to you. It has a very curious finale and I'd recommend it.

If you wanted one easy to watch but rather unusual anime (though it has a bit of moe and what you might think is fanservice - though I don't think it is) I suggest Haruhi Suzumiya.

It starts harmlessly enough but by a few episodes in you just want more because it gets odder and odder.

There are two TV series and a film; watch them in that order. The first series has two different viewing orders and I would recommend the order in which the episodes were broadcast (known as the BROADCAST ORDER) or what is also known as the KYON ORDER. This means nothing to you now but you'll understand after you've watched series 1.

Its very easy to watch with nothing outwardly difficult or complex, but like a swamp it sucks you in until you are too deep to stop.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.30.2016, 10:18 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen everything from that to-watch list, but it sounds pretty good to me. From what you've enjoyed before, I'd be a bit surprised if you ended up disliking any of them.

As for comedy... since you weren't into the jokes in Space Dandy, I won't recommend anything with raunchy humour. If you want something a bit bizarre, I suggest Azumanga Daioh, and if you like that, then Nichijou. Durarara!! isn't exactly a comedy but it has quite a lot of laughs and it's also pretty action-packed, so you might like it. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is very funny, but bear in mind that a lot of the humour comes from parodying manga cliches, so there might be parts that go over your head a bit.

Also, something you (or anyone!) might find useful is this anime recommendations flowchart that did the rounds a while ago: http://imgur.com/gallery/yPVPj9Q
It does a good job of having a lot of variety.

Post last edited by arren18 on 05.30.2016, 11:17 AM.

05.30.2016, 11:07 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

@Saddle

Thank you very much for your reply i keep that in mind, when i start next anime session

@arren

thanks man

and what was that flowchart, it blew me away. i cant imagine how much effort was put to make that list. Thanks for showing that awesome resource.

i was skimming through and found that i have seen most of the shows in action-adventure and thriller lol

05.30.2016, 12:17 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That is one helluva flowchart woof!

I've seen some of the anime listed: Toradora; Mushi-shi; Fullmetal Alchemist; Cowboy Bebop for some. Liked Mushi-shi the best for story and Toradora for the humor.

Unless I'm mistaken, Mushi-shi is based on a true Japanese tale... I recall watching a tv show about a man in Japan looking into the story of the man.

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.26.2016, 09:40 PM.

09.26.2016, 09:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mushi-shi is based on one major folk tale but the mangaka wove into the main story other folk tales or simply inspirations and episodes of their own life which you can pick up by its episodic nature.

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/400568

https://prezi.com/tmq0hvda-gaz/mushishi-...anese-folklore/

http://anime.stackexchange.com/questions...ies-in-mushishi

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.27.2016, 04:42 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I will have to find my copy of the tale and I may have the name wrong or mis-remembered then as it certainly doesn't jibe with your links.

The one I remember is about a man who at one point defeats a rival with a katana carved from a wooden oar. The tv program dealt with the same topic and ended up at a dojo somewhere in Japan and I got the impression that it was a RL person.

But, hey, I have been wrong once in a while in my life, lol

09.27.2016, 12:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Those links are not exhaustive. I have not read the manga but the mangaka apparently closes each story with a footnote about the source inspiration. Some are Japanese folk tales, some are more generic beliefs or myths and some are things from his/her own life that have inspired the story.

09.27.2016, 12:27 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

is there a thread like this where suggestions are NOT series?

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.27.2016, 06:26 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks