QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime town Akihabara
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Anime town Akihabara » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  ]
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Otaku is a term that was originally used by otaku. Enthusiastic fans took a very formal term meaning "you" and used it as a tongue-in-cheek way to refer to each other. Later, there was media frenzy around the otaku subculture because of how the Japanese media (like media anywhere I suppose) likes to demonise a large group because of association with individual negative incidents. I have a feeling that your idea of "otaku" as some negative epithet applied by others is based on the perception created by the media.

This is largely irrelevant to the discussion, but I find the origins of the term "otaku" really fascinating and I think you might be slightly off here. It's true that "otaku" is an extremely formal way of saying "you," but from what I understand, it was initially applied to extreme anime fans as a derogatory term, implying that they were so socially unaware they would use a word like "otaku" even in informal situations where it would be awkward and unnecessary. Only later was it actually adopted and used by fans themselves. I'm pretty sure that unless otaku are using the term amongst themselves, it is still very much derogatory in Japan.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 07.29.2013, 10:01 AM.

07.29.2013, 10:01 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A magazine that I subscribe to is titled "Otaku USA" Interesting magazine with anime, manga, games, etc. articles...

07.29.2013, 11:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
it is still very much derogatory in Japan.

yeah that is what i am talking about

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.29.2013, 12:42 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know loads of people, who class themselves as Otaku's, I just assumed it meant a big fan of Anime culture, like Manga, Anime and Cosplay.

That is what the vast amount of people use it as, especially a lot of Americans and English people. I don't care for what it used to mean, but it may be like the term gay. It's present meaning seems to be a big fan of Manga, Anime and Cosplay.

07.29.2013, 04:47 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Outside of Japan the term is really only used by otaku themselves. So of course it isn't going to have a negative connotation. In Japan, though, where everyone knows the term, it gains broader application, so you see it being used as everything from a term of endearment to an insult.

07.29.2013, 05:50 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

when i meant otaku i did not mean what internet communities use it for. i meant the characteristics it holds in real term i really meant that people who are said otaku in japan is increasing.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.31.2013, 06:45 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
when i meant otaku i did not mean what internet communities use it for. i meant the characteristics it holds in real term.

I honestly don't know what you mean. Surely "what internet communities use it for" *is* what it means? Going off on a mind-bending tangent, what does *any* word mean except what people think it means?

Not trying to be difficult, just genuinely confused.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.31.2013, 01:56 PM.

07.31.2013, 01:54 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am also confused, who is the definer of words then ?. The original meaning of words, isn't what they always mean now is it ? Regardless, of whether people like it. The English language, unfortunately is just confusing.

All the new slang, young people use, from different areas of the country, and when Americans chance meanings. No wonder people find it hard to learn our language.

07.31.2013, 02:19 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

People are, of course, the definer of words.

Meanings are not immutable, they change as society changes. Look at the word 'gay' as a good example.

My Anime List

07.31.2013, 02:39 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Exactly, I mentioned that previously. We are the ones who define these words, the meaning of Otaku is changing.

07.31.2013, 03:02 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd like to go to a maid cafe one time. Just to try it out. Mainly well because of animes lol.

Have u guys heard of this foreigner/english speaking butler cafe in Japan?>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPxmE3Bgl1c

looks pretty hilarious LOL

08.22.2013, 07:10 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks