QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Train, camera, 30 minutes
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Train, camera, 30 minutes » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Train, camera, 30 minutesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So I was on my way to school after buying more stuff for my project, and I had this idea of taking photos of the scenery from inside the train.

Looking at Singapore as you have never seen them before, in celebration of our National Day, August 9th.

Gallery

It's on my facebook as well, for those who got me linked.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.25.2013, 01:35 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

good, varietal set of pics, Roar...

#10 man is wearing blue.

#12 Nipples are rotating air vents... as You probably know.

#17 It almost looks like an airliner's nose and wings are coming out of the clouds.

#19 They might be clamps of hold-down bolts.

#36 And you know this how???

#41 How many cranes can you find?

#42 A long time ago there was a TV show called 'Candid Camera' with Allen Funt. It was all about practical jokes being played on the average guy or gal, like cars splitting in half, etc One of these was of a parking tower attendant taking a car and slightly spinning the wheels as he starts up a long ramp like in this picture. As soon as he is out of sight of the owner he stops the car and a loud recording of screeching tires, etc takes over followed after a few seconds by a crash... Then a front coil spring comes rolling down the ramp entrance... You can imagine the looks on the faces of the people that they played this on. It wasn't all just cars, but that one was the most memorable to me.

#46 Unique design.

Thank you Roar for the tour of Singapore.

07.25.2013, 06:59 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Great pictures. It could easily be Japan, the city structure is similar in both.

Ah, yeah, if it's got uniform concrete bank it's not a river!

I think the dots on the panels of the railway track are holes in the concrete covers so that maintenance guys can poke their lift 'em up metal tools in and check underneath.

Those old industrial areas are fascinating, just the variety of rusty corrugated metal panels is interesting in itself.

I've always thought that the views from railway tracks are interesting, in cities moreso than in rural areas.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.25.2013, 01:33 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have to disagree with you, Saddles, about uniform concrete banks do not a river make.

I can refer to two right here in Southern California called the Los Angeles River and the San Gabriel River.

Parts of their courses have natural banks and parts have concrete on both sides.

The following four pics are different parts of the Los Angeles River. and it flows all the was to the Pacific Ocean through Long Beach, where I used to fish in it and caught Bonita and Spot-fin Croaker.

This is a portion that is shown in its more or less original form and after the concrete banks were added to prevent erosion

Through Los Angeles...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.25.2013, 02:19 PM.

07.25.2013, 01:54 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I had a double-take on that second-last pic. People rowing in a near-dry drain?!

Then I saw the faint outline of a deeper section, and I was like, "Oh yeah, they have those lol." Still, having to row around the pillar must be a bitch to speed rowing.

@husky: Wow, I didn't see those clouds. They do look like a plane's nose, huh?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.27.2013, 12:41 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

I'd keep that one for sure... totally natural and not 'shopped ...

07.27.2013, 07:38 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

is there no poor section on your way to the uni?

broadly no poor in Singapore?

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.27.2013, 07:45 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

These are amazing pictures, congratulations very nice. Keep the work up, would love to see more pictures.

07.27.2013, 07:50 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've no clue at all why I said that about concrete banks and rivers. Of course almost all rivers in Japan are storm-controlled through cities ... duh.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.27.2013, 10:17 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

saw' right, Saddles, we unnnerstan' lol
yur getting into yur own senior moments, lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.27.2013, 11:28 AM.

07.27.2013, 11:27 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Those photos are really great, Roar! I like your pick of the channels in the terraces. Your train ride is very beautiful! Although it might seem like daily routine to you, all of those pictures make me want to get out and explore.

When I was in Kyoto, I found that a lot of rivers, although routed into storm-protected channels throughout the city, still were surpassingly beautiful, and sheltered protected wildlife.

This one is in Toyama, not Kyoto:

I think there are more interesting things that can be done with urban rivers than have been done in Los Angeles.

Post last edited by Mush on 07.27.2013, 11:59 AM.

07.27.2013, 11:54 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

you call those rivers.lol
they are not even considered canals in my country.

sorry, i did not mean it. however most of these things are for made for enhancing beauty, i never liked man made beauty very much

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.27.2013, 01:49 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd have to disagree I find them rather beautiful .

07.27.2013, 05:40 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

That second picture is really nice. The simple choice of wooden railings instead of metal adds so much beauty to that scene and making the chanelled river an amenity by giving steps down to it adds so much to communities I think.

07.27.2013, 06:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
That second picture is really nice. The simple choice of wooden railings instead of metal adds so much beauty to that scene and making the chanelled river an amenity by giving steps down to it adds so much to communities I think.

Except they're sometimes concrete blocks painted to look like wood. Like in theme parks, you know?

@Saviour: We have poor people, we just don't have slums. FYI Singapore has the largest income disparity in the world, which is starting to become a big deal.

And well, the idea of "river" differ for people and location. A river in Singapore is only a stream in Africa, for example.

@Mush: Actually, I do. Or used to. I'd see some nice scenes and then, one weekend, I'd just go there and walk around alone. Very relaxing. Benefits of being a lonely single haha *cries*

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.29.2013, 12:20 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Roar, I truly hope that you someday find someone to share your life with and know the joys and sorrows of parenthood.
My marriage was good, but ended on a sour note, sobeit, probably partly my fault. Nevertheless, I have my children and grandchildren that I love and cherish and who are happy to see 'Granpa' coming thru the door or to talk with online.

07.29.2013, 01:13 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks