QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - America will drown in 2100
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » America will drown in 2100 » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  America will drown in 2100Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah it is a bit aggregation but 1700 cities is still quite high.

yeah it is a research here is the detail

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/29/more-than-1700-u-s-cities-will-be-partially-underwater-by-2100-study/

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.30.2013, 12:24 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There is always going to be studies, about these sort of things. We don't know what will happen, that's based off if things carry on the way they are. We don't know if it will, theories are just theories.

07.30.2013, 02:12 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It won't be just America. I think something like 75% of the world's population lives so close to sea level that they are exposed to catastrophic flooding in the next 50 years.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.30.2013, 02:21 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I can't wait for my lifetime to be filled with natural disasters because of the foolish older generations, that cared for no one. Similar with the economy.

07.30.2013, 02:32 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wait a minute, SI, lol

One reason for it all is because we (us old guys) didn't have the knowledge of what was happening and also didn't have the technology to find out what was happening. Remember, people now finishing High School never lived without DVDs, Color TVs, Computers, Camcorders, etc and men on the moon in 1969! Men and women have always been in space for them and what was the 'Berlin Wall'?

Me? We had a B/W TV and got 7 channels in a suburb of Los Angeles. Wow! And we thought we had it made... We watched live action sitcoms like "The Honeymooners" because they hadn't figured out how to record such things for later viewing by the public. If an actor flubbed his or her lines, every one watching saw it.

One time on the "Red Skelton Show", a comedian, he was supposed to walk through a door. Someone goofed and he walked hard into a solid door. Knocked him out and he had to go to the hospital. I don't remember what happened to the show that day, probably showed a sign that said something like, "Unable to continue this show due to unforeseen circumstances".

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez were one of the first to come up with the idea of using three cameras to film the show for storage and viewing at a later date.

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.30.2013, 03:34 PM.

07.30.2013, 03:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Husky's generation was too busy saving the planet from fascists to be worried about greenhouse gasses. It's very easy for us to blame older generations, but I'm not sure that we young ones would have acted any differently. More importantly, placing blame doesn't help. It's infinitely more useful to think about what should be done, now, while things can be done.

Climate change is a very serious topic and I don't remember if it's come up on the Tavern before. If not, thanks for raising it Saviour. It's something that's caused me a lot of distress to think about, and I usually avoid discussing it with anybody, especially people I know, because of my strong opinions.

Unlike many other things, when it comes to climate change, I have no idea anymore about what to do about it.

07.30.2013, 11:24 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Flooding's a problem, but you guys do realize that the world's supply of oil will end in the next half a century, right?

Right?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.31.2013, 01:10 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Koda
Ohmu

Perhaps this is a discussion, that should be brought up.

If we can't blame older generations, when the answer is no one is to blame ?. Certainly not me, I'm 17 I haven't done anything for lifetime to be worth less than those before me.

My mum is in her 40's, she sure hasn't had an easy life, but I can guarantee you'll all have an easier life than I will in the next 60 years, there is less of everything now (except anime).

Any predictions, based off some sort of research what life will be like ?. We all know the economy is destroyed, I'm UK by the way.

I just get upset at the thought, my life could be lesser because of ignorance. For years, people have been told about Greenhouse gases, maybe not that far back but the last 20 years yes, recycling as well.

07.31.2013, 03:06 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Some blame humanity as a whole, some blame the devil, some blame both.

I blame JP Morgan.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.31.2013, 04:18 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thing is, blame is pointless. You can blame the older generation. You can blame aliens. Okay. Now, what good did that do you? How did blaming someone improve your current situation?

Honestly, I think things are going to be just fine. Humans are extremely adaptable animals. There are a lot of new challenges heading our way but I'm sure we'll be able to meet them.

Your life is what you make of it.

My Anime List

07.31.2013, 04:33 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like your points, Kaz. They fit you...

07.31.2013, 10:20 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

reserved slot for me

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

07.31.2013, 10:38 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
reserved slot for me

Lol, saviour. I can just imagine you furiously researching before you post your response.

07.31.2013, 11:53 AM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
reserved slot for me

Lol, saviour. I can just imagine you furiously researching before you post your response.

well i just don't want to post crap

07.31.2013, 12:11 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You don't need to reserve a post slot, just post non-crap when you've got your thoughts together.

While placing blame doesn't help I think there are ways we should shame nations into outputting less greenhouses gases. Surprise surprise the USA and China are the worlds 2 worst culprits. There is no longer any excuse for any nation to not cut out more CO2 emissions, but will some national leaders listen?

*That* is a problem, a situation we can change but certain govts won't.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.31.2013, 01:19 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
You don't need to reserve a post slot, just post non-crap when you've got your thoughts together.

While placing blame doesn't help I think there are ways we should shame nations into outputting less greenhouses gases. Surprise surprise the USA and China are the worlds 2 worst culprits. There is no longer any excuse for any nation to not cut out more CO2 emissions, but will some national leaders listen?

*That* is a problem, a situation we can change but certain govts won't.

Actually, not true.

What we perceive as so-and-so amount of greenhouse gas output per country is very misleading. It is one thing to have a bunch of factories spouting smoke in your background, and it is yet another thing to outsource all your pollution to another country and, not only let them take the blame of pollution, but join in the blaming as well.

Shockingly, this statement (reworded, of course) was written about the state of the UK... by a UK professor. I know mainly because it's in my lecture notes, and my degree is from the University of Bradford, so yeah.

Off-topic, but it's really weird to have to study Environmental Engineering from a specific country's point of view. I never knew you guys never have the sun above your heads, but at a 15 degrees offset.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.31.2013, 01:53 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Koda
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Thing is, blame is pointless. You can blame the older generation. You can blame aliens. Okay. Now, what good did that do you? How did blaming someone improve your current situation?

Honestly, I think things are going to be just fine. Humans are extremely adaptable animals. There are a lot of new challenges heading our way but I'm sure we'll be able to meet them.

Your life is what you make of it.

I want to blame the Aliens, they abducted me and violated me. They made we watch every episode of The Diamond and Pear Series of Pokémon, in Spanish , with no subs..............

07.31.2013, 02:25 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Koda
Ohmu

Though this issue does worry me, I have been know to be a hypochondriac in the past.

07.31.2013, 02:27 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

If a company is going to outsource its work to another country it remains responsible for the emmissions on its behalf. Companies need to act responsibly and accountably.

I still say China is the #1 culprit, you only have to spend an evening reading up on the country's heavy industry to grasp that. And whether the USA spewing out stuff is spewing it out for an American business or a foreign one, people are still accountable. Refusing to sign the Kyoto agreement is just an insult to everyone who is trying their best.

07.31.2013, 05:15 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Well, let's see what happens. Though it's already too late, for it to go back to before.

07.31.2013, 05:24 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks