QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli Tavern Anime Guide
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Ghibli Tavern Anime Guide Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I still stick with Arren's original plan which was everyone reviews what they like and he adds it to the first post. Its simple and can hardly go wrong.

We probably just need to agree on a review format and I think someone already suggsted a layout above.

If we can use a consistent layout or form it'll be easier both for Arren and the people reading the reviews.

Here's a suggestion:

Title:
Genre(s):
Intended Demographic:
Adult Content?: (warnings of ecchi or fanservice could go here)
Studio/Director:
# Episodes:
Year of Release:
Short Review: (try to avoid spoilers or hide them behind spoiler tags if you use any)
Any other comments: (such as comments on music, voice acting, etc)
Rating: (I suggest out of 5 grins but you can use 1/2 a grin, like these: The 1/2 could be a )
Reviewer:

Example:

Title: Kare Kano (abbreviated from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijō, literally "His and Her Circumstances" )
Genre(s): High School Romance. Comedy.
Intended Demographic: Young adults, M and F
Adult Content?: None. One very abstracted scene of heterosexual lovemaking. Some kissing. Mild cartoon violence.
Studio/Director: Gainax / Hideaki Anno
# Episodes: 26
Year of Release: 1998
Short Review: The main focus of the story is the romance between "perfect" student Yukino Miyazawa and her academic rival Soichiro Arima, and the relationships of several of their friends. We find out that everyone wears a mask and has things they hide from others. Based on a 24-volume manga by Masami Tsuda, the anime covers only the few volumes and ends with the conclusion of the "Yukino arc" the story of the first character in the manga series. There is a lot of slapstick comedy and extreme 'manga' style violence and 'over-action' something apparently the manga author was not happy with. There are also some serious and tender moments between the main characters and on the whole it's a very endearing and rewarding story.
Any other comments: Due to running heavily over-budget and the departure of the director after episode 11 the quality of animation and content suffers severely later in the series with several 're-cap' episodes that go over old material. The ending is somewhat weak and open, with a poor resolution to the issues facing both principal characters. The opening four episodes however are of extremely high quality both in style and direction. A particular feature of the series is the use of on-screen text to show characters thoughts and comments, a method of making distasteful people sympathetic. The ending theme "Yume no Naka e" by Atsuko Enomoto & Chihiro Suzuki is wonderfully catchy and fun, one of the nicest anime end themes I know.
Rating:
Reviewer: Saddletank

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.02.2013, 10:02 PM.

08.02.2013, 09:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pretty sure KareKano isn't a 1998 release tho, cuz I know even cardcaptor sakura is from 2000.

Also, demographics, director and year aren't needed, me thinks.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.02.2013, 10:56 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like saddle's template

Studio is a must, as it reflects the overall nature of the anime. Director can be optional

Demographic is not going to work in tavern i think, as most anime will be targeted toward them, there might be an other way to narrow the selection like similar anime or what kind of people might like it. i really do not have a clear cut idea about this.

year not needed agreed with roar

But how do we rank them ??

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

08.03.2013, 03:24 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The two threads idea might be good, if one post can't fit everything, but as I said, I'm not sure what the limit is... Roar?

Anyway, Saddles's template is something like what I was going for. I'd agree that year and director aren't really necessary for this. As for demographic, I think we should include shoujo/shounen, etc, and if something doesn't explicitly belong to one of those groupings it can't just be N/A. I think maybe ratings are unnecessary too, but in addition to the reviewer, we should include people who "second" the recommendation. Also, maybe a brief list of other anime that we recommend it to fans of.

Anything else I'm missing?

08.03.2013, 04:30 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

a post can have maximum 12345 characters

if 50 characters a line then we get about 240 lines

which is equal to 240 links equals to 240 different Anime

i dont think there will be 240 Anime recommendation

it all can be written in one post of a thread only.

that is if you like my two thread system

i know that limit cause i have crossed it several time.
press check massage length

it can be like this

ranking.Name.very very short description maximum two lines.link

example

1.Cowboy Bebop.The futuristic misadventures and tragedies of an easygoing bounty hunter and his partners.
Analysis,Comments...Reviews

2.Neon Genesis Evangelion.Shinji, pained by his choice to kill his friend Kaworu, shuts himself off from the world and the people in his life and reflects upon what his true purpose in life is.
Analysis,Comments...Reviews

by this way we can make as many comments as we like on the anime thread[link] and the key editor who is going to make the main list can easily rank the list according to those reviews comments etc. and this list post will be a sticky post that everyone can see

the name of the list thread can be

A compilation of Anime by Ghibli Taverners \

@saddle for 4 1/2

we can use

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.03.2013, 06:02 AM.

08.03.2013, 05:27 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Pretty sure KareKano isn't a 1998 release tho, cuz I know even cardcaptor sakura is from 2000.

Also, demographics, director and year aren't needed, me thinks.

Broadcast date was October 1998 to March 1999.

No information at all is needed but I think it helps. If its aimed at women, would an 18 year old guy be interested? If the director is listed then people can look for other animes by the same director. We're not just listing TV series here I presume but movies as well, so I can see someone liking one Shinkai movie wanting to quickly find reviews of other ones. Director name is the easy and obvious way to do that... in fact director's name as regards movies is one of the most important pieces of information so if its in the template for movies it may as well be in for anime. I'd be keen to look at anything Anno Hideaki has directed for example. How do I find that without reading every word of every review, and even then it might not tell me?

I think year could be quite useful as it gives a quick hint of the kind of drawing style you might reasonably expect to encounter. A 1980s anime is going to be a lot different to one released in 2012 and I have met fans of 'old school' anime who don't like modern artsyles but prefer the traditional look. Year of release helps there.

I would be okay to add more sections, not take some away. Its not like this stuff is hard to find if you have the DVD box in your hand, or you are sat at a computer with internet access, right?

I think we could have multiple Tavern member reviews of the same shows as well, so a person looking for helpful info gets a more representative view.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.03.2013, 06:16 AM.

08.03.2013, 06:10 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
We're not just listing TV series here I presume but movies as well,

I think we could have multiple Tavern member reviews of the same shows as well, so a person looking for helpful info gets a more representative view.

i think it should be in a separate thread if not joined with a series

i also think different reviews can be helpful so i suggested that one thread for all of it.

year is not helpful as different anime of similar time-frame can have
very different artistic style

rather we should make another point that represent artistic style called classics and modern

08.03.2013, 06:38 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not sure just having a list to a discussion thread is very helpful, as it doesn't give a convenient short block of information in the same way. If having more detail does mean there is a problem with maybe reaching the post length limit, then we can, as discussed, make a separate thread for the real list, where we can add extra posts if necessary.

08.03.2013, 07:36 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I'm not sure just having a list to a discussion thread is very helpful, as it doesn't give a convenient short block of information in the same way. If having more detail does mean there is a problem with maybe reaching the post length limit, then we can, as discussed, make a separate thread for the real list, where we can add extra posts if necessary.

i think if we add the templates in those discussion thread then it might be convenient

the idea is to give a solid view of anime recommendation by us so the main list must not be annoying to read and it should be short too.

08.03.2013, 08:12 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

The thing is, that's not much use if it's something that doesn't already have a thread, and then we might be making many threads that are just for that one purpose. We'd also have to go and adjust existing ones.

08.03.2013, 04:56 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
The thing is, that's not much use if it's something that doesn't already have a thread, and then we might be making many threads that are just for that one purpose. We'd also have to go and adjust existing ones.

agreed

but with current forum software we do not have any other choice but to make different threads for different titles however if you want to go hard way then i can make the links for post

such as this link will take you to roarkiller's post

LINK

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.04.2013, 06:12 AM.

08.04.2013, 06:09 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
but with current forum software we do not have any other choice but to make different threads for different titles
Yes we do. We do as was suggested in the beginning and Arren adds all the reviews to his first post. Or if we hit a post character limit we create a new thread with ONLY Arren posting in it, putting all our reviews there, all in one post until it hits the limit, then all in a second post, and so on. Roarkiller has already offered to delete posts by anyone else in that topic and generally police the whole thing.

How hard can this be?

08.04.2013, 07:44 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
but with current forum software we do not have any other choice but to make different threads for different titles
Yes we do. We do as was suggested in the beginning and Arren adds all the reviews to his first post. Or if we hit a post character limit we create a new thread with ONLY Arren posting in it, putting all our reviews there, all in one post until it hits the limit, then all in a second post, and so on. Roarkiller has already offered to delete posts by anyone else in that topic and generally police the whole thing.

How hard can this be?

only one review can hit that limit and how do we find a particular review in all of that text.

problem is a full review is long.Several reviews longer.And all the reviews will be even more longer.I think we need to come to an agreement if there is going to be a list or not.

to me searching and sorting is important as this is going to be a permanent thing

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.04.2013, 08:16 AM.

08.04.2013, 08:14 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

I don't think we would be wanting full-length reviews. Saddles's example review was mainly a summary with a little bit of personal opinion included. One of those for each item on the list wouldn't take up much space, and I imagine that there wouldn't be many things getting multiple reviews unless people have some disagreement about it. After all, if one person recommends a series or film and writes something positive about it, how many of the other recommenders are going to have such a wildly different view of it that they feel more reviews are needed?

Post last edited by arren18 on 08.04.2013, 09:16 AM.

08.04.2013, 09:16 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I don't intend to write IMDB style reviews - and I don't think very many people here have the time or inclination to do so either. I don't think the people coming to the Tavern want to plough through huge walls of text so I think we should discourage long reviews. 350 words should be enough. That should get you 20 reviews to a post (I forget what the post length limit is on this form, I know I hit it once or twice when playing in the RPG but I know its several thousand words). What I did above would be all you can expect from me. Most of the actual useful info is in the one or two words notes beside the headings. To me that keeps the really essential info locked against bold headings where a skim-read by someone will see it more easily.

If Arren is happy to do the cutty and pasty work we could even have them shifted around until they're in alphabetical order; that's going to make finding a particular series extremely simple.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.04.2013, 01:15 PM.

08.04.2013, 01:14 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Or, you know, ctrl+f...

08.04.2013, 01:27 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
350 words should be enough. That should get you 20 reviews to a post (I forget what the post length limit is on this form, I know I hit it once or twice when playing in the RPG but I know its several thousand words). What I did above would be all you can expect from me. Most of the actual useful info is in the one or two words notes beside the headings. To me that keeps the really essential info locked against bold headings where a skim-read by someone will see it more easily.

If Arren is happy to do the cutty and pasty work we could even have them shifted around until they're in alphabetical order; that's going to make finding a particular series extremely simple.

Wrong your review there took 2000 characters [not the whole post the whole post was about 3000]

so maximum 6 titles in a post with no comment or other user involved.
And making a post is by no way different than a thread.

I do not have any problems with any of thee idea if we can go directly to a review.

I really do not understand how browsing through a thread is easier and faster than clicking a link.Because even it is a sorted alphabetically you do not know which alphabet will be in which page.

will anyone explain that.

If you guys think that searching and sorting is not necessary then okay.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.04.2013, 02:13 PM.

08.04.2013, 01:53 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Saviour, I said WORDS, not characters. My review was 305 WORDS according to Bill Gates.

And the post maximum is around ~5000 WORDS (not characters) if my memory serves.

Man, you do love to argue over trivial things don't you?

But who gives a flying squirrel if we get 6 reviews per post or 60? It makes no difference whatsoever.

You're talking crap. Posts IN ONE THREAD are completely different to multiple threads. ONE THREAD keeps all the information in one place and it makes it easier to skim through. A whole bunch of threads would be scattered all over the sub-forum in no time.

I'm not even going to talk to you about how to negotiate an alphabetical listing. If you are going to argue over that... I... just...

You know what? I give up. Just write the bloody reviews yourself, and when you've finished you can shove them where you like. I can suggest a place. You piss me off with your constant bickering.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.04.2013, 04:00 PM.

08.04.2013, 03:59 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Saviour, I said WORDS, not characters. My review was 305 WORDS according to Bill Gates.

And the post maximum is around ~5000 WORDS (not characters) if my memory serves.

But who gives a flying squirrel if we get 6 reviews per post or 60? It makes no difference whatsoever.

You're talking crap. Posts IN ONE THREAD are completely different to multiple threads. ONE THREAD keeps all the information in one place and it makes it easier to skim through. A whole bunch of threads would be scattered all over the sub-forum in no time.

I'm not even going to talk to you about how to negotiate an alphabetical listing. If you are going to argue over that... I... just...

You know what? I give up. Just write the bloody reviews yourself, and when you've finished you can shove them where you like. I can suggest a place. You piss me off with your constant bickering.

Saddles do you know the longest word in dictionary is 45 character.[not coined or chemical names]
why do you argue if you do not know the thing, WORDS are not defined so a forum software can not define it's limit by that. thats a pretty basic and simple logic.I understand you are not a computer science student or a programmer but arguing about something you do not know is not very right i think. i even told you to press the check massage length button

i really do not understand why you just can not seem to recognize your mistakes,perhaps you are old thats why [middle aged people are the hardest to make something understand,politicians are example]

from the starting of the thread i was talking about searching and sorting it has been my key point. I also said if you do not care about that then it is okay by me. But it IS a important issue

and i never insisted anything as i am not a great anime watcher, started watching anime after coming to this forum taking suggestions from the members.

About my talking crap,wont get bad again as i really do not think it is nice to insult seniors. However if you just read my post more attentively then you would have seen i said
quote:
And making a post is by no way different than a thread.

The buttons are just beside one another if you noticed.i meant the hassle is same for doing both.and your scattering theory do not hold any grounds cause threads can not scatter by themselves

quote:

how can you say that!!! I did not argue over anything but the search and sorting systems of the thread.

quote:
You piss me off with your constant bickering.

LOL

quote:
when you've finished you can shove them where you like

I like that idea, i think with posts i have in the forum i can make a fully featured blog. thanks Saddle

End LINE:
I want a easy way to browse through the recommendations, we should now concentrate on that.
i am limited to what i mentioned. i am eager to see some creative ideas

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 08.05.2013, 04:11 AM.

08.04.2013, 05:49 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Guys.

Shut up.

Anyway, as I've said before, I'm happy to take people's contributions and edit them into a master post. Since posts have the character limit saviour mentioned, it may be worth having a new thread for this so we can add posts if necessary. This thread can then be left open for discussion of what should be included. That way, the actual list and all its stuff is in one place, making it easy for people to get some nice concise information without trawling half of the forum to find it.

08.05.2013, 05:29 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks