QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Saw Poppy Hill on the Big Screen Today!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Saw Poppy Hill on the Big Screen Today! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saddles, that would have been Umi

06.07.2014, 01:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, yes, thanks. I was curious about the Japanese pronunciation of that name. It sounded nothing like it was spelled.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.07.2014, 10:38 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Really? I don't exactly remember, but is it possible that the other characters were mainly using her surname instead?

06.08.2014, 04:50 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That would be the norm, wouldn't it? Using the family name unless friends enough to use their own name?

In the portion of the movie that I watched to refresh my memory, some girls were talking with her and were using 'Umi'...

06.08.2014, 12:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Does this film have an artbook ?

Post last edited by Koda on 06.19.2014, 04:09 PM.

06.19.2014, 04:02 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Really? I don't exactly remember, but is it possible that the other characters were mainly using her surname instead?

Lots of people were calling her something that sounded like "Meru". I also heard a female school friend of hers call her "Umi".

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.19.2014, 04:50 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's Umi, I have the Blu Ray CE it says Umi on the box.

06.19.2014, 06:18 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
husky51
The Old Guy

I'll have to watch it again and see if I can figure out what the 'Meru' thing is all about.

edit:

OK, I watched it both dubbed and subtitled... In each case I also used the subtitles. In all cases, the girl was referred to as 'UMI' in the subtitles and in the English language version.

However, in the Japanese language version, I too, like Saddles, occasionally heard something like 'Meru' or 'Heru', something along those lines, when someone addressed the girl.

BTW, the subtitles were different in a number of places in the two examples, and this was with the same disc...

In the scene where Shun indicates his bandaged hand, he explains that it was not caused by the roof jump from the day before. In the English version, he says that he cut his hand while shaving... In the Japanese version, the subtitle says a cat scratched him and Umi says neko? Which, as we all know, means cat.

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.19.2014, 11:01 PM.

06.19.2014, 06:21 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Subtitles and dubs often differ, because an accurate translation of the original line will often not fit very well with what we see on screen. So the line has to be changed to something else entirely so it looks better.

As for her name, I still haven't seen it recently enough to really work out why they call her something else, but it could be a nickname of some sort.

06.20.2014, 04:05 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yep, Spidey, I know her name is Umi. My question relates to the spoken Japanese. This is nothing to do with subtitles but the sound of the name the characters are speaking. Lots of people call her what sounds like "Meru" and that is distinct from other times when classmates clearly call her "Umi". One scene in the kitchen of the lodging house mid-film is where some of the other lodgers call her Meru.

It could well be a pet-name but I don't see how it derives from either her first or family names, unless its a shortened word for 'housekeeper', 'cook', 'owner' or something like that.

I'm really curious to know what the word means and why they say it.

EDIT: I just checked and one clear use is at about 54:25 when the women are discussing why Umi is so late getting home from school.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.20.2014, 05:20 AM.

06.20.2014, 05:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Humm that is a mystery

06.21.2014, 05:19 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks