QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Miyazaki Retires!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Miyazaki Retires! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Miyazaki Retires!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just found out

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/ente...tor/798406.html

Absolutely gutted, but he had an amazing run. Would like to take a moment to personally announce how much his movies have touched my life.

Thank you for many masterpieces, Miyazaki!

09.01.2013, 12:30 PM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh my god, I can't even.
His movies have impacted my life so much.

And I find out via text from sister; "AHAHAHAH HAVE FUN MIYAZAKI RETIRED HAVE FUN WITH THAT"

09.01.2013, 01:49 PM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Awwww, that sucks totally, his work will be missed, but after 40+ years, he deserves the rest.

I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy your works for a long time, Miyazaki-sama.
Thank you.

09.01.2013, 04:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I saw this yesterday. It is sad, sad news. I don't think his son, is as good, but we will see.

09.02.2013, 03:50 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, let's not forget he's announced his retirement at least twice before. But I suppose the older he gets the more likely it's for real. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays true to his word this time.

09.02.2013, 07:19 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

After seeing From Up On Poppy Hill, I think that Goro has the potential to carry on with his work, which gives me hope

Can't comprehend how much Miyazaki has given to the world over the years, his break is well-deserved. And I'm sure that The Wind Rises will be a grand finale, going by the Japanese ratings so far!

09.02.2013, 08:57 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
Suzana
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.13.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Suzana Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Why Miyazaki-sama?!?! that was sad news

09.02.2013, 11:33 AM Suzana is offline   Profile for Suzana Add Suzana to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ~OneSummersDay~
After seeing From Up On Poppy Hill, I think that Goro has the potential to carry on with his work, which gives me hope

I don't agree there. Judging from Arrietty and Poppy Hill (and guessing that next Takahata's movie will also be his last one), I'd rather predict that studio Ghibli won't really live past 2013.
It was nice while it lasted.

Post last edited by leonbloy on 09.02.2013, 12:14 PM.

09.02.2013, 12:14 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

But, we can always hope, right, even if it is a long shot...

09.02.2013, 12:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Suzana
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.13.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Suzana Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Indeed husky!!! at least we can hope..

09.02.2013, 06:33 PM Suzana is offline   Profile for Suzana Add Suzana to your buddy list
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You didn't like Arrietty or Poppy Hill, leonbloy? That's a shame. To be honest I'd be satisfied if Ghibli was finished - the amazing movies produced over the years could last me a lifetime. What's more, I'd prefer it that way, rather than watch it slowly deteriorate into rubbish *coughdisneycough*

09.02.2013, 06:40 PM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I heard about this when it was announced, and I wasn't particularly surprised. I remember seeing a few things that seemed to suggest this might happen some time soon. As it's a big announcement rather than just a remark in an interview, I think this seems more official, but perhaps we'll see him change his mind at some point. Anyway, it's a shame, but I kinda saw it coming, and I'm sure Ghibli can continue to make great films without having to depend on one guy to direct them.

09.03.2013, 01:35 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I loved Ponyo and Arrietty, obviously every film is different but I have enjoyed all that I have seen.

I do think, that it will continue obviously things will change, but it won't end.

I heard, that he is loosing his eyesight, that is the main reason he had to stop.

09.04.2013, 02:27 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Koda
Ohmu

Also I'd like to point out Arrietty, was directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi. He is the studio's best young animator, Arrietty was his first film.

So there is plenty of talent at Studio Ghibli to make more films, plus they can hire more.

09.06.2013, 04:58 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Of course a lot of credit must go to Miyazaki, but I agree with Spidey. And when you think of the hundreds of people behind the production of these masterpieces, it put things into perspective.

09.06.2013, 05:57 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Press conference, from the master himself:

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news.../AJ201309060087

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrzxdUm_yeA

09.06.2013, 12:00 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
husky51
The Old Guy

I hope that this means that we will see a collection of Ghibli shorts in the future...

09.06.2013, 05:31 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
NausicaaLover
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.20.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by NausicaaLover Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw this a couple of minutes ago on facebook. Sure Ghibli will continue to make great films after Miyazaki's retirement but it will never be the same without him. There's one comfort to this: maybe his successors will indulge themselves to make sequels to some of the old masterpieces even though they may not be as good.

09.07.2013, 04:56 AM NausicaaLover is offline   Profile for NausicaaLover Add NausicaaLover to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Arrietty was superb, if not for the sappy ending. Ponyo me no like.

Personally I don't think Gorou will take over as the main director of the studio. It's a terrible pity that Kondo Yoshifumi, director of WoTH, isn't around because he was really incredible. That said, there are plenty of capable directors available who, while not on the same level of Miyazaki, Kon or Shinkai, can certainly be trained to be on the same level.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.07.2013, 10:07 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

I second what Roar said about Kondo, I absolutely LOVED Whisper of the Heart...he had such a promising career ahead! His death was so tragic.

09.09.2013, 01:52 PM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks