QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Studying in Japan!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Studying in Japan! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  2  3  4  5  6  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not really in a position to know, because nobody in our group was Japanese. Memorials for historical soldiers are by and large for ones who fought the Japanese at one time or another, because that's who they've usually fought.

07.13.2014, 07:30 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Arren, what nationality are you naturally?

07.13.2014, 07:36 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know about how Japanese people in Japan feel about Koreans, but a lot of my university age friends from Japan who are either here as international or exchange students have a lot of Korean friends and there are no issues between them. It'll be interesting to note though when I got to Japan (as I will probably make one or two of my friends go to Korea with me). I do know most of my Japanese and other friends, including my boyfriend, have been to Korea though. I can ask them though. I only know a few Japanese-Canadians who would be a bit older though.

07.13.2014, 08:13 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My dad is Scottish and my mum is Danish, and I've lived all my life in Scotland apart from when I came here on exchange.

In my experience here, Japanese and Korean people seem fine together. I know many of both, and they're friends with each and I've never witnessed any problems. Then again, my point of reference is university students, so I can't speak for wider society.

07.13.2014, 08:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that the biggest Japan-Korea problem was post-war WWII. By now, a lot of the animosity is gone.

07.13.2014, 11:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Japan effectively annexed Korea from China after her successful 1894 war, so the problem goes back a long way. I was just curious. I wasn't really expecting anything, much like the French get on fine with the Germans now and any animosity will be embedded in a few fantical haters most likely. You know, the sort of idiots who rant in badly spelled comments on YouTube.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.13.2014, 03:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, I think a lot of it is confined to YouTube crazies and the occasions where there is legitimate backlash against the unfortunately frequent offensive public statements made by Japanese politicians.

07.13.2014, 08:17 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  2  3  4  5  6  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks